Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 387388389390391 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 4:35pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

46cm,interesting gutting threated like a flounder and had to watch youtube on how to fillet,left skin on.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 7:34pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work PJC

I’m 50/50 at the moment, trying to decide if I’ll get up early tomorrow morning for a quick fish before work. No bait in the freezer so was maybe going to dust off the old soft bait set and lures.

Was going to head to Kaiaua as I live in Tuakau. I never do well out that side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 3:21pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

down coro a week ago, fished the friday ,incomming tide slow but at the high tide it went off with treves snaps and a nice king around 1.2 meters. treves large,nice raw fish the next day and a beer or 12. wind got up so that was that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:18pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats a solid kingi Lingee, must be around 20 kg, good work out of a little boat. And then a good haul of snaps and trevs, I would be having a beer or 12 after that as well 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 5:29pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally got out for a fish today. I usually fish the mighty Manukau harbour but today my 10 year old son and I thought we would head to Kaiaua and fish the farms.

The plan was for an early morning fish but I slept in! So we launched at the gentlemanly hour of 12pm and fished the incoming.

The first spot was steady throwbacks around the legal mark. After an hour we decided to move a couple of rows further out and luckily that was the right call.

We only bought one kilo of squid with us, so I caught a few jack macs and they provided us with a nice bin of snapper. Had three live bait get smoked but no hookups unfortunately.

There were boil ups and mini work ups all afternoon underneath the boat and all around us with some big kings chasing the bait and Kahawai.

The biggest snapper estimated to be around the 14/15lb mark. What a fight it was around the ropes !

We kept 5 fish, more than enough for a good feed for a couple of nights and will fire up the smoker tomorrow too.

Tight lines all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote travjg123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:12am
travjg123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good Morning,

Hows the rangitoto channel fishing at the moment?
thinking of going out on saturday...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 3:48pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done mate ,nice smoked fish pie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 12:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought I would post this report in this thread soon I was out in my little 13 footer, shot out from Temata bay this morning out on to the firth fishing the 8mtr depth. 7 snapper and 1 gurnard in 45 minutes, nothing really big 350mm to 450mm all on softbaits and micro jigs.

The firth is still fishing well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 4:56pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

I thought I would post this report in this thread soon I was out in my little 13 footer, shot out from Temata bay this morning out on to the firth fishing the 8mtr depth. 7 snapper and 1 gurnard in 45 minutes, nothing really big 350mm to 450mm all on softbaits and micro jigs.

that's good 2 know, I haven't been out there for 2 years, but hopefully once the family commitments ease there will be a few fish still there for me
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah lots of birds around which is a good sign.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:33pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

that's good 2 know, I haven't been out there for 2 years, but hopefully once the family commitments ease there will be a few fish still there for me
Try the new farm off Scullys first before making the crossing,charter boys are starting to fish it now.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:49pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

4th June

Out from Maraetai. Found the fish in the Temaki Straits in 6-7 m depth around the birds. We got our limit today in 2 hours on softbaits despite a late start, thanks to the gas station at Maraetai no longer operating. Gulp, Z Man, cheap knockoffs, they all worked. Biggest 48cm. It was a similar story 2 weeks ago. Stay in the shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:44pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out from Milford: not much action, all small, kept a feed or two, plus a first for me: thresher shark.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 8:27pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted, plan on changing that because it’s about time I gave back to the place which has taught me so much.

My dad and I bought a new boat together, upgrading from a fyran 12 to something that will give us more days on the water. We recently got a 1450 frontier SC and I have to say it is everything we wanted it to be and more. Epic little boat which is offers so much more space than it appears on paper.

Today was my third fishing trip on it, and while the fishing was slow I’ve been more interested in learning the nuances of the new craft. Last Friday and today we found a few wash rocks to cast at, which in the past would have been a bit tricky to manage. Now we can drop the trolling motor in and sit comfortably just off the rock and cover the whole area with casts. Both times only revealed kahawai but with the security of not having to manage the boat while casting it was 100x the fun.

We normally drift through the Rangi channel right in close to start and finish a session, finding more often than not that this spot does better than whatever else we try. Which is primo cause you can still see the car. At $3/L nowadays that’s priceless.

A few snapper and a kahawai with the odd gurnard have been our rewards for sticking with softbaits and inchikus only (never take bait out) so hasn’t been amazing in terms of takes, but the enjoyment of being out in such a capable waka outweighs it.

If you see us around, come say hi. Gordon is my dad, I’m Ben. Will try share most reports from here on in. Churr
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:00am
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome stuff Ben, appreciate the report and congrats on the new boat.  Some fun times ahead. Macca 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 10:53am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has been ages since REdfinger had seen the salt water and extended family felt the need for some fish dinners and not trout. 
Launched Taka 7am - why do these swimmers persist in swimming in the dark en masse at one of busiest ramps in auckland - accident waiting to happen. 
Fished in close 8m Motutapu - berleyed and floating squid baits achieved the goal with 5 modest snapper up to 45cm and tonnes of goldfish too - infact when you shook berley cage  you would see dozens of goldfish swimming around having a feed.
Fly rod was fun on the kahawaii and 4-5 snapper too.
2 hours and i had what i wanted - i take the first legal fish i catch - dont believe in highgrading to any degree even in the shallow water here where fish have reasonable chance of recovery. Ok you end up with some modest sized fish but they tasted fine and better for fishery medium to long term in my humble opinion.
Lovely morning Monday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:32pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished the tide run from 9-2 last Saturday close in between Rangi and North Head. Stuck with the usual softbaits (new penny) and orange inchiku.
Three of us on board and had a busy session. I’m surprised at just how many 25-29cm snapper are around this year. We must have caught 20 that we put back. Fishing in 15m at most all the fish went back in good health
Kept enough for our families and no gurnard this time. Mint day out, even if the odd shower got us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 12:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting morning with my buddy Henry Say - a tale of 2 halves.
Launched 7am in the fog - however when key turned no good, nothing - thought i had checked basics, battery and accessories all worked , kill switch ok.
back to work to drop boat off before Michael Graham showed up - it took him 3 seconds to remedy issue- forward reverse neutral a few times - the throttle was just out of neutral and now all good. Must shout a coffee for the big man monday - **** when the workshop boys here this i will never hear the end of it!!
Across the gulf we went after relaunching back at browns bay - visability down to 50-100 m at times as we headed towards motutapu
First stop in 8m at Gardners gap - fish were small and hungry but managed a few keepers before the fog lifted and fish shut down.
Was going to try a shallow spot at rangi close to lighthouse but stopped on northern coast of rangi and the new lowrance fs 7 showed some interesting sign in 10m .
Berley over and straight into the snapper again - just pannies but all good. My boat as a rule now if its over 31cm it stays in boat so not great for those that fish for their ego but possibly less harm to fishery.
A bonus 94cm kingfish took a small pilchard piece - not that much fight and it looked a bit skinny but Henry and i hadnt had a kingfish in a long time so knocked it on head. In retrospect possibly should have let it go as it was in poor condition - by the far the worse one i have ever filleted.
The snapper were all fat and and in good condition so all in all a great day with fog still habging around a bit at midday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Luv2Fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 9:42am
Luv2Fush View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would love to say this was a post about catching my limit, but it's one asking for advice.

I first started reading the 12's forum posts in 2010 when I got my first 15hp 3.2m RIB and was keen to learn about softbaiting around the Waitemata; I caught up on all the older posts and kept up on all posts from there on in until 2016 when work got in the way of my fishing.

You guys were a source of a wealth of knowledge and encouragement to a very green, but keen fisherman.

Now 6 years later, I finally have a window of opportunity to get back out on the brine and have a slightly large Mac 420 that I am setting up to try and do some regular fishing from. (a little bit bigger boat than 12ft I know, but I still feel like a small boat fisho at heart)

So here's my question.

I mainly drift fish

I try to avoid bait for the most part (this stems from having to fish in a small RIB), but I'm happy to throw out a livey or a bit of fresh caught bait on a flasher rig if needed

So my preference would be to keep softbaiting, using lures with the occasional bit of bait.

I want to know your ideal rod and tackle set-up for going out on a solo mission around the Auckland area (I mainly launch from St Heliers and head out towards Motuihe, the West coast of Waiheke, and Rakino, sometimes venturing further out towards The Noisies and around.

I generally take out the following

A couple of softbait rods with eggbeater reels with a light and a heavy sized jighead, that I then adjust depending on depth and current.

A rod and eggbeater spin reel with an inchiku ready to go

An overhead real with heavy line and a livebait hook to try and target Kingfish (very rarely gets put in the water though).

I don't currently have, but I'm thinking having something with a lure on for any surface work-ups would be useful

If you had an ideal pre-setup rod and real and tackle combination for days fish, what would it be?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 3:24pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

for me, a 2500 spinning reel or size 200 baitcaster with matching rod (min 7') is always rigged, with 3/8oz jighead for softies and 30gram microjigs   https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js/v652eace1692a40cfa3763df669d7439c1639079717194" integrity="sha512-Gi7xpJR8tSkrpF7aordPZQlW2DLtzUlZcumS8dMQjwDHEnw9I7ZLyiOj/6tZStRBGtGgN6ceN6cMH8z7etPGlw==" data-cf-beacon="{"rayId":"74ae386949e76a6c","token":"8640a82ac6f54eb3ac8d62eee23005b7","version":"2022.8.1","si":100}" crossorigin="anonymous">
Page  <1 387388389390391 393>