Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 385386387388389 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:45am
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What stunning weather in Auckland over the weekend!
We took a couple of softbait newbies out at gentlemen's hours (10.30am launch from Bucklands Beach) and drifted Sargeants Channel.  Had four rods with four different coloured zman shads. Bruised Banana got a few hits, Motor Oil and pink one very little but the silver shad had a lot of interest so we all changed to those. Bite time was quite short from around 11.30 to 12.30 but lots of action and we put ten in the bin between us.  Nothing big (largest was 42cm) and quite a few around 30-32cm went back to grow.  Not a lot of current and once it died further, so did the fishing. Followed up with a nice swim and picnic on Motuihi.  Happy days and lucky to be here.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:09am
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sat 27.11.21

We had the same short bite time, just before high tide, 35-40's, but they took anything on the drift around Park Point, including microjigs, leftover bits of gulp, and all those other brands of softies which never get a look at other times. We left them still biting around 2pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 2:10pm
dock View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice to know Sargeants channel still produce fishes and I thought it was dead .  several years back the area was a must .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 11:49am
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

9 December '21:

Sargeant's Channel still fishing well. Fished the morning tide, had a new guy with me who struggled with the softplastics, so switched him over to a microjig Catch Flea 30g which sorted him out in short order, catching his limit, biggest 46cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work, mate. I've tried the channel between Motuihe and Crusoe (which is what what the charts show as Sergeants, rather than the channel between Crusoe and Waiheke) a few times based on historic forum reports.

But lost a bit of gear (metal jigs and jigheads) on the bottom without any great success fish wise.

It didn't help that a few big launches from Half Moon Bay often hooned through there creating a heck of a wake when I was fishing it. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:50am
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes you have to be careful.  There is a large area north of Crusoe where the bottom rises up to 8m or so so keep an eye on your GPS.  Once you drift over that then pull up lines and reposition.  That area is very rocky and I have hardly ever caught anything other than rocks  Keep to the main channel and the sides of the channel and it isn't too bad although you still get the odd hookup on the bottom.  When it goes offit really goes off so it's worth giving it a crack. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 9:38am
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

21 December 2021

Checked out the harbour from Navy Docks/ North Head/ Narrow Neck, then Rangitoto channel, strong westerley made for long wet ride back to HMB, all for 3 keepers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 9:25am
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

26 November 2021

Launched from Maraetai with the wife expecting a flat sea, but that westerley wouldn't let up. Lots of the hangover crowd with big boats had a late start, making it bumpy even at Park Point. Couldn't find anywhere calm. White caps by noon, we packed it in with 4 keepers caught on jigs, after making the obligatory sacrifice of half dozen or so Gulp tails. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 2:49pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was at kaipara on 26th and 27th December - only 5 minutes from Shelley beach - fished in 3-7m edge of a channel. Salted mackeral bonito and pillies used - lots of smaller snapper but plenty caught in 90 minutes both days upto 45cm .  Used a grand total of 2.5l for both days including motor flushing... However the rav4 used plenty getting there and back both days lol. Fish were all in very good condition - bigger wider fillet and no bad ones with these west coast snapper

Yesterday went out wide of tiri up towards kawau and tiri channel - just small snapper everywhere - nice morning for it with a big swell running further north we went
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 12:04pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of a judgement call to go.Still awake 2.00am,too hot . Number 2 lept out at 4.00am so yeah we went,arrived kkb on 6.00am no wind slight e ne chop,went out to middle farm for throw backs,in to Sunday Rock tide coming in and more throw backs,got 2 keepers,clevedon flat undersize,oldfart spot near sandspit more throw back,after 2 kg of squid,fattening up snapper,called it a day.

How can metserv get it so wrong all the time,lucky I went with windyty/predict wind.

Slight mistake when launching,wasnt expecting boat to roll so fast after fitting new rollers but no damage to boat,only no2 hand trying to slow it downSmilecost me a pie on way home though.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 2:19pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

8 Jan 2022

Fished the morning tide at Pakatoa Island with Towkay, kept 9 chunky snaps up to 40+ fishing the shallows, biggest fish on Zman bruised banana, using Gulp was just heartbreaking. Also used a cheap 20g microjig, not tungsten, for a bigger profile in the shallows on the drop, worked well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 2:32pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they say that met getes it weather from planes flighting a bout, f all planes about so they say  pcj
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:23pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big Day out in v13,left KKB about 7.00,fished middle of firth for throw backs,across to 1st farm at coro,struggled to catch 4 legal 34cm. Across to new farm off ponui island,Hmm rows are bloody far apart so took the risk and anchored in midle of row.Plenty of under size,so in ponui island Byrants bay aera,spot 4 on gps and in quick succession 4 at 38/42.Back to KKB line up for 30 minutes,no biggie.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:50pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Big Day out in v13,left KKB about 7.00,fished middle of firth for throw backs,across to 1st farm at coro,struggled to catch 4 legal 34cm. Across to new farm off ponui island,Hmm rows are bloody far apart so took the risk and anchored in midle of row.Plenty of under size,so in ponui island Byrants bay aera,spot 4 on gps and in quick succession 4 at 38/42.Back to KKB line up for 30 minutes,no biggie.
Still a feed Paul
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 2:03pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sunday 310122

Watched crazy about flyfishing and tried the 10-12m drift around park point. Teeny 350grain with chartreuse clouser was outfishing the gulp until the wind kicked up. Heaps of birds in the channels, lots of 31.9cm snaps which went back to fatten up more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 5:04pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Monday 31 Jan 2022 was a few firsts for me. Blooded a new-to-me 3500 Smartwave over my local bar, Urenui (a first time for me) with good friend Paul (MJ on here). Fishing wasn’t hot but we came home with a good feed. Nerve-wracking battle on 4kg nylon with one that swallowed the 5/0 circle & sinker into the stomach on the 20lb trace. Got even more exciting when a guy on a jetski decided to park up close and watch the action.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:27pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Magic trip Keith and thanks for introducing me to the Urenui bar. Very nice snap on the 4kg. I'm sure its brother (sister?) is waiting for us near Tiri Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 9:40pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sunday 200222

Water still looking bit cloudy after the recent storms. Fished the morning tide from 8 to 11 with not a lot to show for it except for a couple of 40+ cm on Zman and microjigs. Switched to Gulp after the tide turned and put 10 in the bin in short order. The scent from Gulp probably helps when the visibility is low?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 7:45am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'm back for a summary of a poor summer's fishing.

Before I do that, well done Keith C, great snapper from a wee boat in Taranaki.

After many years of regular reports I've been taking a break from posting.  Since my last report I've fished the Rangi channel near the lighthouse 4x and off Narrow Neck once, the city channel maybe 5x, out near Matiatia 3x, Sergeant's channel (Motuihe side) 2x, Motuihe channel 2x and so on.  Sad to say there has been the odd zilch and other times 1 to 5 keepers.  Been using a lot of Gulps, Zmen and my old trusty 60g orange/yellow kabura.  Occasionally used microjigs with no success.

None of the areas have fished well, and the best bite I had was at the southern end of Sergeants channel over near Crusoe rock in 15m.  The snapper were hitting the Kabura (slow wind up, drop, repeat) and I got 3 or 4 keepers in about 15 minutes.

City channel has been poorer than usual.  Maybe got 4 once, but a long dull session.  Not many undersize snapper recently, and all the keepers since Xmas have been 32 to 38cm with the occasional 43cm.  Most recent trip there was last Thursday morning from 9 to 11, beginning of the outgoing - nada.  The drift past the naval base has been very poor.  I tend to pick up most snapper within 500m of Fergusson wharf.  Last few trips the water has been murky and thinking of going back to bait and berley.

Not sure if I'll resume posting regularly, but I'll do the odd summary like this.  Thanks to KZTrev for "waking me up" from my slumber with a PM.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 8:00pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the post FQ and sorry they have not been biting for you.  My absence of posting has been due to absence of fishing in the Auckland area: more tutuaka but the weather has been crap generally.  May try to sneak out Thursday and thought about city channel, but maybe not.
Page  <1 385386387388389 393>