Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 383384385386387 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:43pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sat 24/7

Nicely done FQ. 
Towkay and I went down to the bottom end again. Struggled all morning and only had 2 in the bin by lunchtime on Gulp. All the usual spots on the seaward side of Rotorua Island, strangely quiet. Very foggy, low visibility, and a nasty chop made for some pretty hairy conditions in the little boat as we made our way round the top of the waiheke channel around noon, finally got to Hooks Bay where it was calm enough to enjoy Towkay's packed lunch of egg mayo sandwiches and Guinness. Ace Thumbs Up

Fish remained elusive till we finally got the wind and tide in the right direction and picked up another 3 kelpies at Kauri Point on Z Man on the way back plus a big gurnard. All the fish were fat and chunky, biggest was 45.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:40pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

2 late reports:

1/8/21 morning
Fished the outgoing tide at Wattle bay, then Orua bay prospecting for gurnard in 6 to 8 m of water.  Released a couple of undersized gurnard, a baracouta and several KY.  Something big grabbed a strayline and screamed off, paused a while to let me think I was winning, then powered off again.  A very loud snap had me checking the rod, but it was the mono backing that broke.  Shark?
As the tide changed, went round the corner to Big Bay.  Kept 3 decent gurnard, and released more KY.  The gurnard made a nice meal, but a bit slower than expected.

8/8/21 morning
Fished the outgoing off Brown's Bay.  Started in 8m on the sand again looking for gurnard.  Kept a couple of snapper on straylines.  Moved out to 13m and released a couple of undersized gurnard.  Back to BB reef and kept another snapper, so 3 from 35 to 40cms for a decent feed.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:01pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wednesday 6/10/21  8:30 to 11am

First opportunity after the gummint let us boat fishers loose.  Went to Takapuna but the carpark was full, so went to Narrow Neck and launched there.  George and I motored out to Rangi lighthouse and started drifting out with the tide.  Just one long drift, NNW with a light northerly slowing our drift speed down to 0.2 knots at times.  We fished with soft baits and a kabura, and the latter sucked in 2 colours, no bites at all.  Slow start on the soft baits too, but eventually they started to bite.  Lures were mostly dragged but the first keeper grabbed a bait being wound in.  Used old school worm hook rigs with the sinker up against the hook, and a couple of Carolina rigs where the hook was separated from the sinker by about 30 cms of trace.  Last to go in the rodholder was a flasher rig with 4" Gulp soft baits.  This rig caught a gurnard.  Also got 4 snapper 31 to 40cms on the soft baits.

Not a bonanza, but a small feed for 2 families,  Happy daze!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:08pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on ya fella, always nice to get out and a feed is a bonus, humble or large 👍
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:39pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good start and good sign FQ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Wednesday 6/10/21  8:30 to 11am

First opportunity after the gummint let us boat fishers loose.  Went to Takapuna but the carpark was full, so went to Narrow Neck and launched there.  George and I motored out to Rangi lighthouse and started drifting out with the tide.  Just one long drift, NNW with a light northerly slowing our drift speed down to 0.2 knots at times.  We fished with soft baits and a kabura, and the latter sucked in 2 colours, no bites at all.  Slow start on the soft baits too, but eventually they started to bite.  Lures were mostly dragged but the first keeper grabbed a bait being wound in.  Used old school worm hook rigs with the sinker up against the hook, and a couple of Carolina rigs where the hook was separated from the sinker by about 30 cms of trace.  Last to go in the rodholder was a flasher rig with 4" Gulp soft baits.  This rig caught a gurnard.  Also got 4 snapper 31 to 40cms on the soft baits.

Not a bonanza, but a small feed for 2 families,  Happy daze!

Nice work FQ, Maybe tomorrow for me in my 12 plus 5
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 6:04pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Monday 11th, caught the last few hours of the flood drifting on the east side of rangi channel.  Bit of a wind and chop but reasonable drift. Kept 5, biggest 47ish, returned 2 plus some undersized ones.

Great to get out again even though it was a bit lumpy.  Happy to let Rod Holder take most of the credit, but got a few on the microjig.  Colour of the day: Golden Boy curlytail.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:48pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Repeat.  11:30 start.  Rangi channel not happening on the flood.  Went to west of Waiheke.  Hot bit for an hour and a bit from the top of the tide, winner being an orange microjig.  Binned up - after all we might be back in level 4 tomorrow.  Most 40-45, best 50.  Nice to massively out fish the rod holder :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:21am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Fish;n  brmbrm! good to see another ReportThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:51am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Could someone please clarify the significance re the title of this thread ?

The content & reports invariable make for compelling reading but am often left pondering as to whether the title refers to owners of 12 ft boats, 12 mtr boats or the contributors are all 12 yo ??? 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 10:43am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

under 12ft "Bazza" as there is a over 20 thread too,maybe a new one for you over 80LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:11am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

under 12ft "Bazza" as there is a over 20 thread too,maybe a new one for you over 80LOL

Maybe I should busy myself extending my boat a few meters then !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:33pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Could someone please clarify the significance re the title of this thread ?

As pjc has rightly pointed out, it is meant to be a thread for the boats around 12 foot. It was intended for reporting on fishing in close in the Hauraki Gulf for those who couldn’t head wide, and for safety reasons, could only fish in under 15 knots. Was invaluable in its heyday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it speaks for itself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:10pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have surtees 485 but post here when fishing in spots 12 foot boaters would fish. If I go further then I post in 12-18. But to be honest I am at heart a 12 footer fisherman. Smaller does mean better in many ways. Often easier and more fun. Slips in nicely. Easy to handle. Easy to manoeuvre. But don’t ask the missus about that
please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:02pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mine's a Quintrex 435, but it's only a 30hp merc, so going wide is never an option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:08am
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Too true and our decision to buy a Surtees 495 and a car with 4WD was vindicated yesterday when we rocked up at HMB at 6.40am to find a queue of boats and cars extending for probably 500m. A quick u turn a few minutes drive to Bucklands beach and and straight in off the sand effortlessly. Plus saved 10 minutes motoring at 5 knots. I had a 12 foot Parker craft for years then did a massive upgrade to a 14 foot fyran so even with exuberant extents of 16 ft Surfees I still feel like a small boat fisho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by betterthanwork betterthanwork wrote:

Too true and our decision to buy a Surtees 495 and a car with 4WD was vindicated yesterday when we rocked up at HMB at 6.40am to find a queue of boats and cars extending for probably 500m. A quick u turn a few minutes drive to Bucklands beach and and straight in off the sand effortlessly. Plus saved 10 minutes motoring at 5 knots. I had a 12 foot Parker craft for years then did a massive upgrade to a 14 foot fyran so even with exuberant extents of 16 ft Surfees I still feel like a small boat fisho.

Good call. My neighbour was there about 5am, and the first row of trailer parks was already full. When they got back early afternoon he was 15th in line, trying to hold position in the run in tide, waiting to pull out with rude ba$tards driving past everyone and pushing in etc.
Crazy stuff. Sure it's due to lockdown fatigue and lack of kids sports, shopping mall social outings etc, but it's great if you can avoid it.
Do you beach launch next to the ramp at big Bucks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:33pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 16/10/21  6:30 to 10:30am

Launched Takapuna with Cameron.  Arriving before 6am, there was a queue of cars & trailers wanting to launch.  Probably took quarter of an hour to launch, so not too bad.  Went out to the Rangi light area again and drifted out with the tide.  Misjudged the wind direction and the line of the first drift was a bit too close to Rangi.  Only one or 2 snaps on the first drift, but caught a few jack macks and got a live bait down to drag along as we drifted.
Second drift was much better and picked up 4 snapper.  Cameron's Gulp lime tiger crazy legs were the lure of the day and got maybe 6 out of 8 snapper.
The last drift was affected by the tide running out of steam, the the bites less regular and the snaps smaller.  I picked up a really good JD on the live bait.  Slow drifts are good for JD's - they can keep up.
Cameron with a snap:

JD

The JD had a small flounder it it:

Beautiful weather, great company, reasonable fishing and the ramp wasn't busy when we got back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:48pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And who gets the roes & livers Geoff?

I feasted on roes & livers for breakfast, thanks to some fresh west coast snaps.

Page  <1 383384385386387 393>