Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 382383384385386 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 4:12pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice snap there FQ, always a buzz when something grabs the livie👍

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 3:05pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I haven't posted for a while.

Here's a recent snapper caught on "Blue Duck", the 12-ft plastic weapon.  An 84cm one as measured on the end-on-end Ministry measures on my gunwhale.  Released (for us to play with again!).

I can pretty much guarantee any straylining session here at this time of year will produce 20lb-ers.  Last week, the week before, the week before that...in about 7m of water.  All released in good condition.  This one here had a big fat gut, I am sure from the 2 hours'-worth of chum it had been inhaling.

Caught on a whole fresh-caught jack mackerel, two Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks snelled on to 30-lb fluoro leader tied direct (no double) to a 30-lb braid main line.   Rod a 7ft Nanomatrix rated 8-10kg, reel a 400 size low profile baitcaster.

PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 4:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Pjay good to hear from ya.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 4:47pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great fish!!
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 10:31pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one PJay. You live in a fishing heaven, and have the long-honed skills to make the most of it.
I learned a lot from the article you had in NZ Fishing News a couple of years ago, lots of wisdom you passed on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:12pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thanks, folks.

I've just sent NZFN an article updating my 3 1/2-year-old one on straylining.

Not sure if I'll do another series; meanwhile, son Nick is upholding the family name with an article in every issue, near enough.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 6:19pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice indeed.  I need to try to get some vague sort of B&B mojo going but it will be a learning experience Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:55pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

I haven't posted for a while.

Here's a recent snapper caught on "Blue Duck", the 12-ft plastic weapon.  An 84cm one as measured on the end-on-end Ministry measures on my gunwhale.  Released (for us to play with again!).

I can pretty much guarantee any straylining session here at this time of year will produce 20lb-ers.  Last week, the week before, the week before that...in about 7m of water.  All released in good condition.  This one here had a big fat gut, I am sure from the 2 hours'-worth of chum it had been inhaling.

Caught on a whole fresh-caught jack mackerel, two Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks snelled on to 30-lb fluoro leader tied direct (no double) to a 30-lb braid main line.   Rod a 7ft Nanomatrix rated 8-10kg, reel a 400 size low profile baitcaster.

Great to see another post Pjay! I'm a long time reader of them and fishing news articles. Apart from a few minor differences  we basically fish the same methods out of a plastic 12 foot dinghy not to deep catching bigger Snapper with ease. Yet wot amazes me down here out west no body else hardly gives it a try. Most head to the horizon 40-60 metres deep drop a ledger rig and hope like hell one day they will get that 20lb da that has eluded them for years. Keep it up! Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

04/06/21 

Eerie morning with Towkay down the bottom end, with thick fog rolling in from the east. Fished the shallow bays around Ponui and Rotorua, found the pannies right in the shallows with the odd kahawai thrown in to keep you on your toes. Most fish caught on the eastern side. A real joy fishing nice long drifts in the shallow bays with light wind pushing us along, alternating between softbait and fly gear. Couldn't have asked for a better winter day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 1:03pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice fishing fshnut.

I've just put a report in the Manukau Harbour and West Coast topic.  Got a few carrots.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 6:57pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good work FQ, love the carrots!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:50am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 12/6/21  3:30 to 5:30pm
Fished Bean Rock on an incoming tide with berley and smelly bait.  Caught a lot of small snapper and one decent one just over 50cms.  Kept 4 total and released a few in the 30 - 32 cm range.

Friday 18/6/21  7 - 9:30am
Looked like the only fishable day for a while, so postponed work and called a mate and took advantage of low winds and no rain.  Back to Bean Rock and same light straylines, and flasher rigs hoping for some gurnard.  Kept 10 snapper 31 to 34cms and a big eel, which my mate had plans for (eating).  Probably not enough berley to draw the bigger fish out (left a berley at home).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:39pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Another belated report

Saturday 26/6/21  7 to 10:30am
Launched Jenkins Bay Titirangi and tried out about five different spots within a Km of the ramp.  Caught one nice fat gurnard and a decent KY along with a lot of small KY (released) and a big jack mack - kept for bait.  Bit slow, but going back tomorrow to the Purakau channel and maybe Mako Point to try for some more gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geoff - try the Kaipara - i know its a bit of a hike for you but from most accounts fishing very well esp for gurnard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:15am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 3/7/21  7 to 11 am

Launched at Waikowhai Bay and the ramp was surprisingly good.  Not as much rubble as there used to be, and someone has made a 10m wide area  at low tide with no boulders.  Big ups that man.

Fished the Purakau first for lots of thin brown weed and no bites.  Went over to Big Bay (Skoti will know the spot Wink) and got KY first and then the carrots started coming aboard in ones and twos.  The weed changed from thin brown strips to fine red tangly stuff, still annoying.  Flasher rigs with salted or unsalted bonito caught all the fish.  Repositioned from about 6.5m into 5m about 10am and put down a new berley with some bigger chunks in it.  This seemed to get the carrots fired up just before low tide and at one stage there were 3 carrots grunting in the bottom of the boat.  Put 4 back and was only taking over 42cms at the end.

This is the best carrot session in several seasons.  As Redfinger suggests, going to the Kaipara soon to fish some of the skinny water.  Has anyone ever fished the Otamatea River, and have any tips?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:21am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good fishing FQ - No need to go to Kaipara if you are catching those. Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 12:06pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nicely done FQ Thumbs Up

Sunday 4 July

Had a late start with GR8MAN. Low tide about 0845.
Spent the morning with fly rods and lots of other boats chasing the gannets around the bottom end of Tamaki Straits with very little to show for it.  I never seem to get much chasing gannets in shallow water.

Finally put away the silly tackle and went back to softbaiting the shallows as the tide changed, slowly picked up the kelpies, first on Gulp motor oil, then back to Nuclear Chook as the sun went down. We ended with 8 kelpies around Rotorua Island  including the last one which was just shy of 50cm.  The easterly never let up, it was bumpy all day till we left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:36am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 10/7/21  7:30 am to 1:30pm

Fished some of the arms of the Kaipara harbour with a mate who lives at Otamatea Eco Village.  Stayed the night at his place so we could have an early start.  Launched at Rangiora Rd, a surprisingly good concrete ramp, but it was 2 hours after low tide, so no guarantees it would be good at dead low.  Went up the Otamatea river until we were close to where my mate lived, and saw his dinghy on the bank.  Rounded a corner and could see the railway bridge, but found some mangroves and anchored in about 6 m out from them.  Immediately hit by KY and we had 8 in the bin and started returning them within the first hour.  Strayline out the back hit by something a bit bigger and was surprised when mate pulled in a decent snap, close to 50cms.  Repositioned closer to the mangroves hoping for gurnard but a slow period was followed by more KY, returned.

As the tide neared full we motored down the river and turned right into the Arapaoa river and we sheltered in the lee of Pakaurangi hill.  We zigzagged the 4 to 10 meter contours and chose about 8m where there were some small signs that might have been whitebait schools?  Put down 3 flasher rigs hoping for gurnard, but mainly KY caught.  One more snapper, this time mid 30's.  Spent an hour or so teaching my mate to fillet and remembered back to the days when I used to waste lots of good flesh.  "Don't worry mate, the first hundred will be ugly, but you'll improve after that".

Back to the ramp, then the village, and finished the filleting.  Very nice beetroot cake for a late lunch (homegrown beetroot, organic flour).  Mate was chuffed with the fishing and I was happy to have his company and explore some "skinny" water.  Drove home to Auckland, knackered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:24pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 24/7/21 7:30 to 11:30 am

Launched Browns bay and headed out to 13m and set up berley and flasher rigs for gurnard.  As usual, they came in 1's, 2's and 3's, and during the pack attacks we had a few tangles.  We kept 7 gurnard.  Back at the BB reef in about 7m, straylined back into the reef with mullet and butterflied jack macks.  These produced a large KY, and the mullet got a couple of snapper keepers, 33 and 38cms.  My mate George is omnifishiverous, so he took home the KY, a snapper, some carrots, a small spotted shark and the leftover jack macks.

Mild temperatures for winter, light winds, good company and productive fishing - perfect!
Page  <1 382383384385386 393>