Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 379380381382383 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:42am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 9/1/21  6:30 to 9am

Launched Okahu Bay and went out close to 6 buoy in the Rangitoto channel.  Did several drifts here, gradually moving north up past 2 buoy.  Nothing but tiddlers.  There were a lot of other boats in the area and didn't see anyone else catching.

Moved back into the city channel and spent the last hour drifting near the container terminal.  It was pretty slow, but managed to get 36 and 42cm snappers for a feed for the family.  Successful lures were a Zman 7" new penny shad and the ol' yellow/orange kabura, both in the rod holder.  Today the 4" curlytails only got small fish - tried motor oil, coconut ice, electric chicken. A Zman new penny prawn also got tiddlers.  Working the lures got bites, but only hooked up undersized snapper.

Great weather, gentle breezes.  Okahu Bay ramp dangerously slippery at low tide.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:27am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also noticed that ramp dangerously slippery at low tide. Nearly lost footing despite wearing shoes with good tread.

Anyone know who is responsible for maintaining that ramp.

If that was a work place OSH would close it down for safety reasons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:36am
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haven’t posted here for a while, but recently bought another boat, Fyran 13. Best decision I’ve made for a while, makes me feel like a kid again. Love being on the water in any form but there’s something special about a dinghy.

Been out 3 times from Okahu Bay and headed out to Rangi channel. Had most success around the 12 buoy, taking fish from 32cm to 52cm. Not on fire, but still collecting. Almost all fish have been on an orange 60g slider. Tried everything in my lure box, next best being micro jig. Dragging softbaits has always been a favourite technique of mine, in the past it’s what made the difference many many times, but zilch on that front so far despite perfect drift speeds and obviously fish about. The sliders have been hit just off the floor too, which suggests the snapper are feeding face down in the sand so can’t understand why the dragged softbaits are ignored???

Anyway, so good to be back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:53am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Also noticed that ramp dangerously slippery at low tide. Nearly lost footing despite wearing shoes with good tread.

Anyone know who is responsible for maintaining that ramp.

If that was a work place OSH would close it down for safety reasons.

its an akld council facility - and the same issue has existed for the last 40years

i have rung them in the past - requesting ramp maintenance - usually removing sand from st heliers ramp - and they appear to have been responsive

could be worth a try?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:54am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blackdogg Blackdogg wrote:

Haven’t posted here for a while, but recently bought another boat, Fyran 13. Best decision I’ve made for a while, makes me feel like a kid again. Love being on the water in any form but there’s something special about a dinghy.

Been out 3 times from Okahu Bay and headed out to Rangi channel. Had most success around the 12 buoy, taking fish from 32cm to 52cm. Not on fire, but still collecting. Almost all fish have been on an orange 60g slider. Tried everything in my lure box, next best being micro jig. Dragging softbaits has always been a favourite technique of mine, in the past it’s what made the difference many many times, but zilch on that front so far despite perfect drift speeds and obviously fish about. The sliders have been hit just off the floor too, which suggests the snapper are feeding face down in the sand so can’t understand why the dragged softbaits are ignored???

Anyway, so good to be back

small are so much fun - every trip feels like an adventure - good to hear you are enjoying yourself and getting good fish at the same time
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 9:56pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Blackdogg - liked your post, great pic, enjoyment of small boats shines thru.  Also, very interesting observation about dragged soft baits.  I'll try to spend a bit more time working a kabura.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers fellas! The other giveaway for me thinking the snapper are feeding face down in the sand was the amount of crab pieces on the floor of my boat. Every one of them was full of crab
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 10:24pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great and uplifting to hear your enjoying your new boat. I fondly remember my 13 foot tinny. Great times and many fish . Sometimes think a smaller boat casts less shadow than a bigger one ,and not as scary to the fish in shallow waters.
Its always great being out there. 
A month or so back found some Kahawai out there, really chopped up rough. 
Trolled a small lure. 
Hooked up some good fish . Playing them,netting them boat side,stearing boat ,working throttle,sheets of spray , fresh wind, Came back feeling 10 years younger.  
There is just something special about fishing and the sea.

As your snapper were feeding on crabs,maybe thats why the Kabura worked so well. Similar shape ,size and movement of a crab. And if orange kabura a similar colour.
Can learn a lot from checking gut contents.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:25am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi team - been having issues logging in so havent been on here for a while- went out a couple times in Kaipara - close to ramp and the other time about 4-5kms north shelley beach. Heaps of snapper up to just over 50cm and fat as. Even managed plenty on the fly rod to 48cm which was a blast - how they see fly in that cloudy water the lord would know. Fish shallow too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Morgs122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:05pm
Morgs122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just been down to okahu bay for a swim. Ramp has been cleaned and bleached earlier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kztrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:13am
Kztrev View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You can go to this site to report a problem. If there is a risk to safety call 09 355-3553

https://at.govt.nz/about-us/contact-us/report-a-problem/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Trevor (KZtrev)

Thanks for your input.  I've just written to the Auckland council suggesting a breakwater in front of the Okahu Bay pontoons for safety reasons.  I told them that putting a boat back on a trailer with a mix of NE winds and boat wakes is like managing a bucking bronco.  I'm not holding my breath - too many stakeholders.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:36am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Hi Trevor (KZtrev)

Thanks for your input.  I've just written to the Auckland council suggesting a breakwater in front of the Okahu Bay pontoons for safety reasons.  I told them that putting a boat back on a trailer with a mix of NE winds and boat wakes is like managing a bucking bronco.  I'm not holding my breath - too many stakeholders.

Will never due to the marae there as they do not want the pile break water reinstalled,they want all the moorings gone and it is happening slowly,want to reinstate to near original state.They have a mussel seeding programme under way in the bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:01pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The breakwater could also function as temporary moorings for boats, canoes, and yachts, as well for fishing, swimming.  It would be better if one end was connected to the shore by an overbridge, maybe 5m high to allow the majority of craft to get under it.  If it is sold to all stakeholders as an amenity it will get better traction.  But still a long shot - come back in 10 years for an update.

I will put the Council's response on here.  They say they will come back with some sort of reply in 3 working days.

The photo above is an old one.  The moorings out the front of the ramp are all gone.  I think that has improved the place and you now see a lot more sailing dinghies, kayaks, SUPBs and canoes using it.  The falling down piles serve a useful purpose.  Everything inside the piles is 5 knots max.  (but as a breakwater they're hopeless)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korihi/396892/boats-removed-from-okahu-bay-the-mauri-has-been-restored

This what you are up against.Orakei wharf was nice and long to start/finish yacht races and fishing got you that little bit further out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:11pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Here is the council reply:

[email protected]

15:35 (33 minutes ago)
to me

Tēnā koe Geoff,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your concerns about the maintenance of Okahu Bay Wharf. We would like to apologise for the time that it has taken to acknowledge your request.

I have now raised this as a formal complaint on your behalf and this has been assigned to the Community Facilities space. A member from this unit should be in contact within 10 working days. The reference number for this is 8590024799.

We appreciate and welcome all requests, suggestions and feedback to help us improve services to our residents and visitors.

Thank you for your patience while we investigate your concerns. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Ngā mihi nui

X | Customer Issues Advisor

Y | Customer Services

Delaying tactics.  3 days has now become 10.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well we went out,wife and I.It will be nice.HaHa started off at kkb 8knts w so across to coro farms for 1 lousy snapper.luckily a friendly jetskier and his mate gave us 2 snapper as they were in close at the working barge.Farms full of threshers and Hammers.Lost a lot of gear so cross over to orere pt.Yeah well instead of 22 knts we were down to 8knts,never mind .Orere Pt more fn sharks and 1 snapper.So bugger it.2.00pm lets go to the shallows of kkb 4 m and what do you know.This guy put up a decent fight,just short of 4ft,and to make matters worst the anchor warp parted company from the anchor.So now need new anchor,chain,warp.

And no I am holding the hook but cut the line instead of getting hook out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:21pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Still roed up.Or second shot as water temp was 19.5c
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:37am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thursday 28/1/21  5:30 to 8:30am
Tested the theory that getting up stupidly early and fishing in the dark = hot bite.  Wrong.  Left Okahu Bay and stopped over the top on dense mid-water sign, maybe kahawai.  Dropped and jiggled soft baits on top of and under them, nada.  Moved over by the container wharf, baby bites, then chased off by the pilot boat, ship coming in.  Tried over by the naval docks, babies released.  Drift near Devonport wharf, 1 x 34cm snapper on a 4" Zman electric chicken curlytail.  Headed round north head, tried out near rough rock where there were massive schools of bait and terns working, nibbles.  Final few minutes near 12 buoy but the tidal flow had died so home James, 1 snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:52am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tough going, Geoff.

Did you read Bruce Duncan's latest report on the Forum?Very interesting.

Basically, he's been involved in the Am Cup in some capacity, and has used the opportunity when not able to fish to do recon going over the area very slowly using his very big fish finder. He reported only small fish in the channel (Rangi side) until he got out past the flax Pt area, and no schools of fish at all on the inner side of the bend off Cheltenham/Narrowneck.

So that doesn't bode well for drifting through that area with lures at the moment, and I guess the harbour channel. And it reflects some of the reports from small boat fishos on the forum - guys who have had luck in previous seasons doing the same thing as they're doing now with no joy.

Maybe the fish are delayed by a few weeks. Let's hope, for your sake, it doesn't mean they're not actually coming this season...

Page  <1 379380381382383 393>