Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 378379380381382 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done Nick . You are the best in the business when it comes to soft baiting snaps (could stop there), as well as capturing it on film and playing great background music. Those girls of yours growing up with that will be awesome fishos as well by looks. 
Nick, aka Clay, is a man of massive modesty and humility,  who lets his rod do the talking. A rarity among us fisherman. Wink
All class and merry Xmas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 5:18am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Vid Clay! Beaut Big Snap and from a small boat close in. Shaneg bold statement on Clay being the best softbaiter around. Rob Parker up North, no one else comes closeBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:48am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great video - love seeing small boats catching big fish in (my) local waters
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:14am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On average up north you get a lot more goes at big snapper. If you get chances here in Auckland you have to make them stick, you get far less.

Great video Clay super action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:50am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Here's a summary of my springtime fishing, including the 24lb snapper reported a couple of pages ago

Hope you enjoy

great watch - your videos are among my favourites in the fishing genre
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 5:55pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

cheers guys 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:00am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Monday 28/12/20 0800 to 1115 am

Launched Okahu Bay and drifted out with the tide from 8 buoy past 2 buoy.  The increasing southerly made conditions unpleasant and was just about to pack it in and a nice 37cm snapper took a yellow orange kabura in the rod holder.  Stayed a bit longer, well north of 2 buoy by now, but no further bites.

Went back to my favorite city channel drift from the Cloud outwards.  Caught quite a few snapper around 30cms and put them back.  The police launch came by and while they noted I was drifting, not anchored, they asked me to move.

Went up to Westhaven but not much protection from the southerly, so a crabby NE drift from there.  Was running out of parking meter time so pulled the pin just after a 36cm snapper grabbed a 4" Zman electric chicken curlytail (pink/green) and went in the bin.

So 2 keepers for the first session after Xmas.  Bit disappointing, but will get out there in more favorable conditions soon - probably tomorrow.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:55pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It is a bit quiet on the snapper front at the moment FQ but pretty normal for the time of year. However - lots of nice big fat Kahawai to be had around the channel buoys early mornings. 
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 2:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Left KKB at 7.30,busy as heck,closest trailer park at the motel.went outside ponui for goldfish then to scullys for just under,Bugger it went to man o war bay mussel farm and more goldfish .Had a 1/2 mullet left so off to Sunday rock,anchored in upstream of turbulent out going tide and let lines in to turbulent.1st fish 400 2nd fish 380 and 3rd fish 450,bait gone back to kkb and line up for stop/go at ramp.Very happy end of year.Fitted a speed sensor and calibrated using gps.28knts flat out cruised it at 22knts 11lts for round trip (18.78 miles),tank bone dry when checked at home just enough in line to flush motor.(did have spare tank).

All going well Manukau Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 12:19pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thursday 31/12/20  6:15 to 9am

Launched Okahu Bay and fished the city channel from 19 buoy to Stanley Point, mainly on the northern side.Picked up a 38cm gurnard early and a 38cm snapper late, but a whole succession of undersized to 30cm snapper released in between.

Got back to Okahu Bay and another boat had much better fishing north of the Rangi lighthouse, which I might try on the incoming this evening.

Happy New Year!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 2:10pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Happy New Year!  Morning trip, Rangi channel drifts got nothing.  Tried everything. Get out a sandwich: nothing.  Pour cup of tea: nada. Eat a sandwich while drinking tea and pissing into a bucket: zilch.  last resort was to phone wife and say no fish today: that worked within 30 seconds.

Decided to move round to Motuihe channel just because.  Found workup and picked up a couple more snaps and 4 or 5 KY.  Plus this:

If you think its yours PM me, otherwise it will go on TradeMe, no reserve, barnacles included.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 2:53pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Thursday 31/12/20  6:15 to 9am

Launched Okahu Bay and fished the city channel from 19 buoy to Stanley Point, mainly on the northern side.Picked up a 38cm gurnard early and a 38cm snapper late, but a whole succession of undersized to 30cm snapper released in between.

Got back to Okahu Bay and another boat had much better fishing north of the Rangi lighthouse, which I might try on the incoming this evening.

Happy New Year!

met mr "quirk"at the ramp when we came in i recognised his boat name and said hi, we stick baited a bouy then had a few long drifts under the birds in the rangi channel, few snaps 37-39 cm, then my pb trevally 5.5kg on the scales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 4:37pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice trev Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 4:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean trev
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 5:13pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice trev mate.... did you score it mid water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 7:03pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nah on the bottom, was using a kaveman 30gm jig thought it was a small king or a foul hooked snap for a while
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 12:20am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Happy New Year!  Morning trip, Rangi channel drifts got nothing.  Tried everything. Get out a sandwich: nothing.  Pour cup of tea: nada. Eat a sandwich while drinking tea and pissing into a bucket: zilch.  last resort was to phone wife and say no fish today: that worked within 30 seconds.

Decided to move round to Motuihe channel just because.  Found workup and picked up a couple more snaps and 4 or 5 KY.  Plus this:

If you think its yours PM me, otherwise it will go on TradeMe, no reserve, barnacles included.

If that's a thunnus reel on a shimano shadow X 5 to 10kg its mine 😂😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:18am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice report Spin King.  Seldom get trevally on SP's, so must give some of my unused collection of jigs a swim.

Happy New Year! HAS to be better than last year!

Friday 1/1/21  4:45 to 7:30pm

Launched Okahu with intentions of going to north Rangi, but with 2 POB and a head wind, thought the city channel would be more protected.  Started the first drift near Devonport wharf but the wind and beginning of the incoming tide gave us a diagonal drift to the container wharf.  Picked up one keeper, fairly close to the container wharf.

Set the next drift to take us a little more up harbour, starting about 300m west of Devonport wharf, and again a diagonal drift all the way to the Cloud.  Couple of keepers, one over 40cm, again better fishing on the city side of the channel.

Last drift was almost straight up the harbour because the wind dropped and the tide was flowing well.  Tried to drift across the face of the container terminal, allowing for a bit of diagonal movement, but there was none, so drifted straight up the guts and picked up one more keeper.

Successful lures were Zman new penny prawn, Zman 4" curlytails in electric chicken and coconut ice, and the old trusty 60g orange/yellow kabura.

Nice session with a former food tech colleague from Hansells.  She took the fish because more fish in the Far Quirk household tonight would be greeted only with eye-rolls.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 9:32am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Headed out on tuesday afternoon with my wife  for a late afternoon ,change of light fish. Was to be bait ,but no burley. Purpose to relax and maybe a fish or two for the table,given this is often a hard time of year to find them.
Launched at the crazy ,hectic okahu ramp,and headed into the washing machine ,complete with spin cycle. Nor east sea breeze,big outgoing tide ,the wash of a thousand boats and ferries, the meeting of two channels, all combined to make a very confused sea.
Headed down past the islands ,found calmer waters. Anchored up in close .away from the boat traffic that seemed to be everywhere.

Lines in, relaxed , took in the scenery. Late afternoon shadows across sun parched islands , landscape of many colours, aqua sea crested with the random white cap. The  distant gannet diving, ,passing terns, one with a artic skua in ariel persuit. Shearwaters flying low and fast. Blue penguins fishing.
 Tide ebbed , boat traffic became less , shadows fell, a few fish came on . Nothing big, Most in the 30s ,one at 41 cm ,another at 42.5.. All well conditioned feisty fish. All snapper.

One thing i thought unusual. Out of 11 snapper all bar one were starting to roe or milt up. Some roe very small,others quite developed.
Could this indicate a second spawn pending,and maybe explain less fish in city channels than normal.?

Time running away, darkness near, Motored back in the cool and calm of the evening as the shadows were falling, the huge fiery sun sinking below the western ranges,
A world of many colours ,sea and sky reflected as one..
Nice fish in the bin,a great day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 1:41pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

great write up
Page  <1 378379380381382 393>