Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 376377378379380 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:59am
thebakerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Blimming tough day at the office on Saturday. Couldn't get out before dawn as usual so missed the best fishing and copped a lot of wind. Too much wind to get to the Noises so fished off Takapuna, near Rangi. Worked had for 4 hours for 3 x low 30s, 1 x high 30s and 3 x mid 40s. Zee Mans dragged along the bottom did the trick. Lots and lots of baitfish on the sounder but couldn't get any intereston Zabeki.

Where's all that lovely still weather we so often get at this time of the year?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 6:54pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Monday 2/11/20 6am to 9:30am

Bit windy on the weekend, so sneaked out on Monday morning.  Went out past Rangitoto light and drifted inwards with the tide to level with 2 buoy.  Dragged Zman and Gulp curytails  and a Kaveman kabura.  Also cast a Zman 7" shad, first new penny, then bruised banana.  Kept 5 snapper 32 to 40cms.  Great weather and my mate George took a few home.  Lost a couple due to shredded braid.  Replacement braid arrived today in time for the next session.  Will also get a reel serviced with a seized bail arm roller.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 7/11/20 6:45 to 10:15am
Launched Okahu Bay and headed out to the Rangitoto light area again.  This is turning out to be slow but consistent.  Over the last 3 sessions I've kept 4, 5 and 5 keepers.

Todays' were a little larger, from 36 to 49cms.  They were caught on Zman 4" curlytails, New Penny and Electric Chicken.  A pink/white kabura got hit by a good fish but it got off after a short fight.  Also tried 7" zman new penny and bruised banana, Gulp new penny and pink/white crazylegs, 4" jigging grub in pink white and 4" minnow in pumpkinseed.  Most of the Gulps either were left alone and retired, or cut up by tiddlers.  Orange yellow kabura got a good long drag but got nada.

Light winds from the north were with the incoming tide, so a great day out.  Also saw Prada being towed up the Rangi channel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 3:33pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff FQ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 5:47pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mean feed LOL
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 4:00pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 14/11/20  7:30 to 11am

Launched Okahu Bay and went back to the area near the Rangi lighthouse.  Did one very long drift from in line with #6 buoy to maybe a km past A buoy.  There was one good patch in the middle, starting about 8:45.  Lost a good fish, then caught 3 in fairly quick succession, from 38 to 46cm.  Did a shorter second drift and about 10:45 picked up 2 more, one of them 56cms.

This fish took a dragged 4" Zman curlytail, new penny.  A dragged 40g candy-apple green red kabura caught 3 good fish, and a 7" Zman shad in new penny also dragged, caught another keeper.  About half the time I actively fish one rod.  The rest of the time spent changing lures, getting rid of weed and occasionally catching fish.

Fantastic weather.  Very light southerly lined up with the outgoing tide.  Would still rate this fishing as slow compared to the halcyon days of a few summers back, where over 20 legal snapper could be caught in under 3 hours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 5:41pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one Far Quirk
I was out at narrowneck in my kayak yesterday, must have been about 4 charter party boats around A buoy, plus other boats scattered around there for the incoming tide late afternoon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:14pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How did you get on BananaBoat? In close off Narrowneck? I just got a kayak and launched at Birkenhead. Had a few drifts around there and Chelsea for nada and others around me not pulling up anything either. Cracker day though. Still too early for the harbour or I missed feeding time...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:10pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Tyler. From the ferry I haven't seen any boats fishing in the city channel yet this season, I think December is the start of the run, good launching from Stanley Bay I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Lester! Yeah I think mid-December and it should be humming. I might have to venture over to the Tamaki Flats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:51pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishing Mr FQ by most peoples standards anyway -must clean the dust off my softbaiting gear - my boats last 2 trips have been in fresh water...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Cheers Lester! Yeah I think mid-December and it should be humming. I might have to venture over to the Tamaki Flats.

for sure, mate. I'll give you a tow home if it cuts up rough!

I see quite a few kayakers out there, mainly on the 4m squiggle line on the charts. I was once told that's an old sandstone shelf with a bit of rubble that attracts shellfish, weed etc. Not sure how true that is, but it looks plausible based on how erratic the line is. I believe that Waiheke, Motutapu etc were once connected to the mainland, before sea levels rose.

And launching at Duders regional park would give you good access to the Clevedon flats off the Wairau entrance which is a favourite shallow water spot of the knowledgeable older guy who has worked at H&F Botany for years.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Great fishing Mr FQ by most peoples standards anyway -must clean the dust off my softbaiting gear - my boats last 2 trips have been in fresh water...

I reckon you should give your trout jigging set up a crack, mate. I think you'd catch plenty, both snapper and kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:28pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

How did you get on BananaBoat? In close off Narrowneck?

Clifftastic

All undersized snaps at Narrowneck for me, about 20 of em all on micros 1.5hrs either side of high, 1 dragged in rod holder, other used like a softie
Water temp 20.2....no keepers for me either

Do baits at anchor in the Waitemata till the fish really come on then do drifts on softies sliders & the like

The Whau river (meola to motorway) fishes from end Dec & can be really good on strayline baits, I head out from sailing club pt chev or oliver st... I see you're a local boy... might see you out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:07pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the intel BB! Can't wait to fish Meola when it comes on. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:05am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 21/11/20  7:15 to 10:30am

Launched Okahu Bay and back to Rangi lighthouse to catch the incoming tide.  Drifted with kaburas and SP's - mix of Zmen and Gulp.  SW wind against tide restricted the drift speed to 0.4 knots or less most of the time, with and without drogue. Crossed the main channel and started a drift near 5 buoy - same slow drift with too much East and not enough South.  Only baby nibbles and only pulled in one undersized snapper for the whole morning.

Only highlight of the day was seeing American Magic and Team NZ boats going out.

Under tow at this stage, but still impressive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:06am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wind against tide stuffs it for me most times too FQ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Tough going, Geoff. That pic is amazing, with what looks like a classic old timer in the background. The builders of that boat would be amazed at what's flying around now...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 2:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wednesday 2/12/20  6:15 to 8:45am
Launched Okahu Bay and fished the city channel, drifting in from level with 19 & 20 buoys to the naval base on the first drift.  Reasonably steady fishing, but a lot of little ones about.  Took photos of every fish, and the lengths were 34, 36, 34, 27, 28, 30, 26, 24, 25, 31, 26, 28, 33, 34 and 21cms.  Kept the first 3 and put the rest back.  By far the best lure was a Zman 4" curlytail new penny dragged about 50m behind the boat.

For the whole time 2 different kaburas were dragged straight under the boat, either candy apple green/red (retired), pink/white or yellow/orange.  The yellow/orange had a good snapper on for a while, estimated mid 40's, but dropped it.  The equal best from the kaburas (pink/white got another):

With a 4th rod, cast Gulps of various colours ahead of the drift.  They were either ignored or ripped off by the smaller fish, with only one undersized landed with the Gulps.

2nd and last drift was from the same starting point, but went all the way down the middle of the channel to past Stanley Pt.  There were a surprising number of ferries around.  No near misses, but a lot of wakes.

First city channel report for the season.  Small snapper, but the size usually improves around Xmas time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 4:08pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey far quirk, smaller fish but really tasty im sure LOL Down here the orange kaburas seem to entice more snapper and other fish for that matter. I use the candy apple head now and again but with limited success regardless of skirt. Have you noticed anything similar where you fish?

Cheers
Here fishy..fishy....
Page  <1 376377378379380 393>