Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 375376377378379 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well done Keith.  Great to see you out there doing it.  And PB's always a bonus.  Did you try any longer SP's for the bigger snaps?  7" and longer becoming more common.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:29pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 18/10/18  6:30 to 9:45am

Fished the Takapuna shallows using bait & berley.  Used heaps of berley - trying to empty the freezer for summer.  Kept 7 snaps from 30 to 45cms.

SP's and jigs from now on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:22pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Did you try any longer SP's for the bigger snaps?  7" and longer becoming more common.

Fished large and small sofbaits of both common brands. Best snap on sb was a 65 cm on a 3” Z new penny grub. Narrow 2” strips of salted kahawai were working on the decent snaps.

Bigger baits, including fresh slabs, were being devoured by smaller snaps in midwater.

After the NE that kept me ashore most of last week, it was great to get out. 39 hours on a 5 year old Frewza - used to do about that in a year in Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:57pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Keith Thumbs Up

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 2:40pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thursday morning.  Rangi channel.  SPs.  Lots, mostly 27-32, kept 6 up to nearly 45.  Dragged grubs mostly.  Colour of the day coconut ice, last weeks golden boy was OK.  Old favourites like new penny and motor oil not effective.  Caught most on hand held 1/4 oz jig head, with some twitches etc. Nice morning out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 12:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 24/10/20  6 to 10:15 am
Launched Okahu Bay and with the NE wind opposing the outgoing tide, sheltered in the lee of Rangitoto near 12 buoy.  Drifted with soft baits and later a kabura in the rodholder.  Only nibbles and by 7:30 gave up on this area and headed out near #2 buoy.  Got a small john dory keeper to start proceedings as the tide began to flow in.  Then a snapper on a 4" Zman curlytail new penny, and a while later another on a 7" Zman shad, same colour.  One more snapper and then after 9:30 only tiddlers.  Rodholder got 3 out of 4 fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Morgs122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 5:11pm
Morgs122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Slow morning for me at flat rock. First boat there at sunrise. Barely even a bite on baits. 6 million jig drops and a few hundred casts of stick baits and I called it a day when the tide stopped moving. Any one decipher the sign I’ve picked up ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:04pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Headed out to the local yesterday morning in the 390.  Things were a bit slow initially and by low tide i had 3 pannies in the bin.  Wanting at least one more to feed the family I decided to head out to the top of Whangaparoa.  Things were still quiet there with no more keepers so headed towards The southern end of Tiri, again for not a lot.

Around 12 i decided to head in and have one last go where I started. Was just about to call it a day when I hooked an absolute freight train on the Nano matrix.  The little Stradic 1000 performed remarkably well to stop the fish and while I decided to chase it down with the boat this was more due  to the lack of lifting power in the rod.  

After 10 or so minutes up popped this beast and my best fish from the bays by far

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

congrats Nick that’s a fine fish, you weigh it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:27pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

WOW!  Did the miles and got the smiles.  That must be well over 10 Kgs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would be around 25 lb would be my guess, if in good condition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

After 10 or so minutes up popped this beast and my best fish from the bays by far

He looks like he has lived a life of Alcohol and nose powder abuse Clay haha. I think you did him a favour. I hope he was good tasting. A real reef beasty :-) good job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:42pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

congrats Nick that’s a fine fish, you weigh it?
Yep - went 11kg. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:57pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what did you catch em on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:26pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

little zman curly tail in new penny. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 8:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work, mate. Cool that you've joined the FC brigade. 

Every now and then someone hooks an absolute horse from a well-fished area and keeps the rest of us hoping...

Did you get up north for your traditional winter trip this year, or Covid put paid to that? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:38am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot Clay! Fantastic Gulf Snap caught on the light gear.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:08am
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[QUOTE
Did you get up north for your traditional winter trip this year, or Covid put paid to that? 
[/QUOTE]

No, but still hoping to make a spring/early summer trip before xmas.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:30am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Clay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:17am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome Clay - if a fish is over 80cm in that condition he will be over 9kg so well done. Thats a pb for the boat!! im nowhere near that in my fc430cc!

Page  <1 375376377378379 393>