Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 365366367368369 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:35pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a stunning fish. Obviously a great day out.

Is it just me that is getting the impression there are more fish holding in close this winter, compared to other winters.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:12pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its a goody in close mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:31am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic fishing Geoff - much kudos to you Geoff as you regularly catch bloody good fish in the busiest most fished places in Auckland. Hat off to you mate. New spot called Geoffs Foul?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:20pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Tess is an excellent photographer and gave her hubby a tip about presenting his fishWink

Saturday 13/7/19 7:15 to 9:45am
Launched Takapuna and back to the foul near yellow buoy off the Takapuna cliffs.  Put down some berley and the NW wind drove the boat off the berley trail, so not ideal.  Should have got there earlier before the breeze came up.  Used squid and mullet baits and the size of the snapper gradually increased. By 8:30 had kept a 36 and 38cm snapper, and released 31, 32 and 33cm models.  Also used some big KY and whole jack mack baits hoping to lure a biggun, but nothing doing.  Smaller fish decimated the larger baits.
Shags were a nuisance.  AngryForgot to take my AR15. Evil Smile They attacked jack macks as I reefed them into the boat.  One of them ended up stuck on my Uncle's jack mack flasher rig.  Took about 5 minutes to wear it down, then used a towel to grab it by the beak, and removed the hook from its mouth with pliers.  As it made its escape it got its leg caught on another hook, so spent another 5 minutes trying to tame it until the hook broke off.  That rig took a hell of a thrashing and held up well.

The tidal flow died about 8:30 and so did the bite.  Put out a live bait but the shags dragged it up from 9m deep.

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:46pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

School holidays. Nipped out with my eldest son for a quick fish in the Firth shallows. Very slow. Picked up couple of gurnards and 1 snap which went 7kg on the local gas station scales. Fed the old lady. So happy days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:10am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice fish, and cool photo, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Geoff those shags were impossible when I last went out inclose to Rangi - bloody things. They were taking my baits ! not liveys but actual baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:15am
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was on kaipara on Saturday in me fc430 got snapper from 45 cm up to 60 cm and nuc gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report from last week, Geoff. Stunning conditions, lovely fish. And great that you shared your expertise with two friends who really appreciated the kai moana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakedunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:46pm
jakedunc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was out behind Rangitoto this morning for 4 hours. Still so many baby snaps around it's crazy! Been a warm winter I guess? Got a couple of 40-50cm snaps and a few pannies which feels pretty good for winter fishing... but seemed to go right off the chew after high tide.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:33pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A couple of weeks ago we towed the Fyran up to the Russell for 3 and a bit days on the briny. Launching from Long Beach we mainly fished the local coastline, including Roberton, although did venture further a field one day.

Fishing was slow to begin with but picked up (surprisingly) after  the full moon and we ended up with plently of snapper, with a couple in the 15/16lb range, as well as a porae, trevally, JD and a couple of (mouse) kingfish. 

Highlights below for those interested:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, Clay. Another quality video including underwater footage, and some excellent winter fishing on your annual jaunt up north. Even had the tee and boardies on at one point, spring-like conditions. Those bigger reds gave your Stradic a good work out. 
Thanks for posting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:05pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top vid that and some good fish caught. Enjoyed it.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:56am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brilliant - thank you
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:01am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes Clay, awesome vid as usual.  My PB snapper comes from up those ways and must get up there soon.Great range of fish caught, and some very good snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 11:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

A couple of weeks ago we towed the Fyran up to the Russell for 3 and a bit days on the briny.

Nice fish Clay. Good video. Id probably remove the Metallica, for a couple of reasons, they may pull your video, they have software that scans uploads for copyright infringement, and usually the best videos are just the action itself with music use to fill between say changing spots etc. Otherwise loved it.

Can I ask, where were you fishing at 4:33, that looks REALLY familiar coast. https://youtu.be/3vwJOExtMmQ?t=274

Have you tried launching at Opito or somewhere around Wharau and heading across Te Puna inlet to fish that bit of coast at the end of the point and those pinacles there? Or even easier and better Black Rocks behind the island. Cheap gas, bin fill. It doesnt do too bad. Clearly not as deep as around near Cape Brett but an easy launch and fish on the days when crossing the water isnt too choppy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 7:24pm
Macca11 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys anyone got a surpeme. 400 dinghy on here how do they compare to fc 390
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:34am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Since July I've been fishing from Bean Rock to Rangi channel and Motuihe channel with a mixture of smelly bait, and kaburas and soft baits.  From August onwards I stopped anchoring up, and have been drifting the Rangi and Motuihe channels only.  Apart from one good day probably early September, the catches have been ordinary, 1 to 3 snapper and sometimes KY.  The good day was memorable mainly for the fish I lost.  I got a good snapper, approx 60cm to within a few metres of the boat and it broke off.  Was an accident waiting to happen.  I tied a 10/0 hook straight onto 12lb mono and put a big piece of mullet on it.  Serves me right, back to using traces now.  That day was in the Rangi channel between 7 and 15 buoys on the north shore side of the channel - kept 5 snapper and released a couple of smaller legal ones.
I've been experimenting with different colours of kabura - orange/yellow (still my favorite) pink/white, green/red/ and yellow/brown, mainly dragged in the rodholder, but sometimes slow jigged.  Overall very disappointing.  They work in the summer, but not recently.
Soft baits seem to be improving and as always, it's worth putting a bit of work into them.  My only catch last week was on a Zman 4" new penny curlytail seasoned with secret sauce and jiggled way out the back of the boat.
My last trip out was frustrating because there were workups all over the Rangi channel from up near the lighthouse to down off Narrow Neck.  I didn't chase the workups because they were too fast-moving, but drifted through the tails of workups many times where there were still birds sitting on the water and the occasional KY chasing bait on the surface.  On the negative side, I fished from around 10am to 1pm to get a wind-with-tide drift.  Fishing in the middle of the day is usually less productive.  On the positive side I had close-up views of the Team NZ yacht foiling round the Rangi channel.  The rigging literally screams with the speed, so it whistled past with about 5 big rubber duckies chasing like hand-maidens.  Awesome!
Be back out there doing it tomorrow early, and hoping for better fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:42pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 17/11/19  6:15 to 10am

Last year on 18/11/18 I did quite well in the city channel so decided to try that first.  Used the same baits as 2018 (orange/yellow kabura, Gulp 5" pink shine & Gulp 5" new penny, either mullet or salted bonito on 10/0 hook.)

The first 2 hours or so in the city channel were slow with just 30cm and smaller put-backs.

Went round North Head to the Rangi channel between 9 and 13 buoys for the rest of the time.  The other baits had just nibbles but the gulps did better.  Kept 2 x 34cm snapper and had quite a few bites and releases from smaller ones.  At least we got a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 4:13pm
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good work FQ - I started the summer season yesterday - I got caught out (like many others) with Okahu ramp being closed until 10 Dec.  So launched late from Half Moon, I missed the incoming tide though and it was well after the turn before things happened. 

It was so flat I took the fc435 for a cruise to the Noisys but not much doing there, Motuihe was quiet too but I managed to get into a couple of schools briefly on the sand bringing home some nice 35-40’s for dinner.  

Page  <1 365366367368369 393>