Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 364365366367368 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:03am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Banana Boat: I use 1/4 to 1 oz depending on the current.  Around East Bastion the current flows are pretty weak, maybe around 0.5 knots.  Anchor up about 30m up current from the reef and drift the berley and baits back into it.

Redfinger: some day I'll take the 10 weight rod & shooting head and give it a go.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:38pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 16/6/19  12:30pm

Was going to go fishing at 1pm but decided against it due to risk of large currents etc.  There was a 7.4 magnitude earthquake at about 11am this morning at the Kermadec Islands.  Civil Defence initially put out a tsunami alert but later cancelled it.  However they left in place the usual warnings about going out in small boats, going to the beach etc etc.  Very low risk I know, but I don't need the anxiety of a possible stuff-up, and neither did my intended fishing buddy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:57pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

smart move ,years ago mate and I went to take the boat out afther a tsunami warning ,when we got to the beach the tide was so far out that we went to the pub. it pays to be safe mate . fish a another day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:49pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The last couple of months has produced some good fishing, with the shallows being the most consistent.  Light gear in shallow water = maximum fun.  Some of the highlights:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:13pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great footage Clay.

Probably the best time of the year for small boat shallow fishing in Auckland - windless days and fish still feeding up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:27am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks - quite inspiring for us small boat fishers
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 11:18am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff Clay - great footage and even better consistently decent fish. You are the man al right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 2:30pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is that an offshore illusion you are using?
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:07am
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep - the 'popper' rod is an illusion 4-8kg softbait rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 8:59am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thought so - my favorite ever rod.Sadly lost overboard when I was drifting with it in the rod holder - fish took and it busted on the blank between the but section and handle CryCryCryCry - also attached to it was my Shimano 4000 firebloodAngryAngryAngry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakedunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 4:14pm
jakedunc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tomorrow morning is looking good for a fish in the Gulf! High tide at 10:50am

Has anyone used those South African Pilchards from Top Catch? They were killing it for us when Squid wasn't working the other weekend. 5KG for $20 is a steal!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 7:49am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

which top catch, that's a bloody good deal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 1:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 22/6/19  7:30 to 10am

Totally stuffed up the tides and went to an outgoing spot near the Takapuna cliffs, but the tide was coming in.  Used lots of berley and picked up a 37cm snap early, then babies for an hour.  Moved out to Russell's Reef [not to be confused with Russel's Crack, Russel's Groove, Russell's Horn, Russells' Knob, or Russell's Wrinkle] north of Rangi light.  Berleyed our way up from more tiddlers to eventually get 2 keepers 33 and 41cms.  Not bad considering the poor planning, and the wind was very gentle, so a pleasant trip with my sister in law.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote jakedunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 8:23pm
jakedunc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Launched at Takapuna Boat Ramp around 7:15. Headed just north of Rangitoto to the same spot we did got well at a couple of weeks ago and it didn't disappoint once again.

Before the sun was out we landed a 54cm snap. No wind, great conditions, we caught pannies for most of the day. It's certainly not winter fishing yet, so many undersized snappers still around, its crazy. Caught a bunch of jackmacks and baby KY's which were used for bait, but no carrots or decent sized KY's seen this time.

Just before 12 we nailed a 58cm snap (boat record) and called it quits with 14.

Another great day of fishing on the gulf!

The 5KG Pilchards for $20 was from the Top Catch in Takapuna btw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 12:44pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Saturday 22/6/19  7:30 to 10am

Totally stuffed up the tides and went to an outgoing spot near the Takapuna cliffs, but the tide was coming in.  Used lots of berley and picked up a 37cm snap early, then babies for an hour.  Moved out to Russell's Reef [not to be confused with Russel's Crack, Russel's Groove, Russell's Horn, Russells' Knob, or Russell's Wrinkle] north of Rangi light.  Berleyed our way up from more tiddlers to eventually get 2 keepers 33 and 41cms.  Not bad considering the poor planning, and the wind was very gentle, so a pleasant trip with my sister in law.

I was by the marker pole takapuna cliffs same day, probably 2 hours after you  - just as the tide started going out. Very slow bite, few small fish and a couple of 40cm before I pulled the pin and drifted over duder spit where I took another on a lime tiger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:02am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 29/6/19  10:15am to 12:45pm

Incoming tide, up current from Bean Rock, bait and berley.  Went OK for the first hour.  Kept a 33 and 40cm snap and released a few 30 to 31cms.  The water was only about 3m deep and maybe the light affected the fishing, but after 11:15, no keepers.  Lots of small snaps, easily released from the 8/0 and 10/0 circle hooks.  About 12, moved about 50m to water that was around 6m deep, and there seemed to be more keepers around, but only caught 1, 40cm, lost a couple of others.

Fantastic still, calm, sunny weather.  In past years, wouldn't have bothered in shallow in these conditions, but there are still a few out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:49pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very respectable catch geoff,considering its mid winter, bright clear south east conditions and 3 meters of water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:05pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 7/7/19  7:15 to 10am

Launched from Kohimarama in sunny still weather and out to East Bastion reef in under 5 minutes.  Anchored in about 6m of water and berleyed up next to the reef.  There were 3 of us (Tess, former colleague and her hubby Elijah) and within minutes we had our hands full with small to medium snapper 33 to 40cms.  We had 5 on the floor of the boat before we had time to have a cleanup and get them on ice.  Small pieces of squid on 8/0 or 10/0 circle hooks were doing the damage.  There was a bit of a lull and we started using small bits of mullet on half the rods.  Shaking the berley bag sparked another onslaught, this time snapper up to 44cms.  Another brief lull then BOOM a bigger model grabbed the mullet bait, hooked up and took off along the side of the reef towards the city.  I picked it for a stingray but Elijah turned it and nod nod snapper! 65cms of prime fat Hauraki goodness.  About 9:30 the fishing slowed and time to gill and gut some of the fish.  Back to the ramp and all tidied up about 10:30.

Tess and Elijah went away with 7 or 8 snapper and 3 were plenty for me.  Elijah's fish of the day would have made for some tall tales for friends and whanau.  Good times!  I'll post a pic sometime.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:55am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That tail on that fish! Nice work
Page  <1 364365366367368 393>