Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 362363364365366 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lucky L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:19pm
lucky L View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Rangi channel around light house seems working well all year around except late January which was too hot and sun light was too strong. This Saturday water was too calm and bites wasn’t hard, and lots of goldfish but still got 4 in the bin, and the biggest one close to 40 cm. Pink/ Yellow / Green kabura and Zman new penny works well.

SW wind works better for me like a couple weeks ago, was around 12 knots and I got the quota - no wind. no swell and no fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:48pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

FQ, I had the season last year that you are having this year. For whatever reason it just wasn't coming together, even though I was doing the same stuff that had brought me success earlier.
I've been getting a bin full most trips from the same areas you've been speaking of, and almost all fish have been over 35cms, most north of 40cms.
Orange sliders have been the go, and when the wind gets up I've switched to new penny curly tails and paddle tails. That's it. Only those two options and it's worked every time. Keep both active, especially the slider
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:00pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting, we've been doing OK but not great in similar areas. Lots of tiddlers, and a few good fish to keep things interesting.  Fish seem to be in patches. Kaburas very intermittent, Microjigs seem to catch smaller fish, softbaits working best but the smaller softies doing best. curly tails the best. Just about any colour working I have tried to just put on whatever is at hand and it hasn't made a difference. Main thing  - whatever is worked, works. Action is where its at. Let them sit for 5 mins and then move them, boom! I think Snaps often follow something around until it looks like its making a getaway. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes fish are definitely rangi light house side of the channel. I normally head further north into whangaparoa bay. But have kept it close this year and have done better than past years in the area.
Easy limits on change of light morning seems to be the best. Average size being 35 to 50cm. Baits and softies. Was also on a work charter a couple of weeks back in the channel around number 6 boys drifting.. one bloke got a healthy 65cm snapper which is fairly decent for this area. Which was released with a couple more close in length to follow . Just keep moving till ya find em.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wednesday 3/4/19 8:45 to 11:15 am

Took photos of all the fish caught and here is the diary (all snapper):

1st drift Cloud to Devonport wharf
9:06; 36cms; orange yellow kabura (oyk)
9:13; undersize (us); Zman curlytail new penny 4" (zcnp4)
9:16; us; Gulp lime tiger 4" minnow (glt4m)
9:19; us; zcnp4
9:24; us; zcnp4
9:33; us; zcnp4
9:42; us; zcnp4
9:51; us; Gulp orange/yellow squid vicious
9:56; us; glt4m
10:07; us; oyk
10:17; 42cms; oyk

There was some foul off Devonport wharf and I lost a kabura and a Zman in quick succession

Moved round to Rough Rock off Cheltenham beach
10:50; 36cms; green/gold kabura (ggk)
11:04; 32cms; ggk
11:07; us; Gulp crazylegs new penny
11:10; us; Zman atomic sunrise 4" shad
11:11; 34cms; ggk
11:16; us; oyk

Drifted out for about 45mins and the fish were bigger on average.  Water was only around 10 to 12m deep here.  Kept 1 for dinner and all the rest went back.

Friday 5/4/19 8am to 11:30am
Met a mate at Waikawau Bay and launched the boat in the river.  pretty good facilities and a $15 charge for using the ramp, which was busy as!
Went out to the mussel farms and decided that the first factory boat was only cleaning buoys and not worth following.  Headed over towards the middle of the farm and tied off to one of the buoys.  We got a couple of nice snapper here but then started catching tiddlers.  Tried drift fishing with soft bait, bait and kaburas in about 14m between the mussel farms and the Coromandel peninsula.  Caught more tiddlers so headed back to the farms.  We found another boat cleaning buoys and he had a few small boats around him.  We got close, tied off, and cast against the side of the factory boat.  We got another 3 nice fish, 2 snapper and a KY.  Nothing big, snapper to 46cms and 1 KY about 55cms.

It was a bit different to my usual FC390 trips, and learnt a lot.  Take a hook next time to quickly attach to the buoys.  Don't ignore the buoy cleaning boats.  Squid was the best bait.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another interesting and honest report, Geoff. Good to try somewhere further afield.

[should really be in the 14ft forum, but I went out this morning with the 5-year-old - we literally took a rain check yesterday after Metservice's "occasional showers" turned into rain which is pretty miserable in a small craft with a little fella. Today's southerly was a bit lumpier than forecast on Swellmap, but I wanted to give the boat a run prior to our Far North trip next week.
Very dirty water in the Tamaki Strait, presumably a legacy of the downpours early this week. I can't recall seeing water that dirty out there. 
Nearly pulled the pin to head to the Rangi Channel, but thought it was a bit far for the young fella if it blew up stronger.

We got a feed up to early 40cm range on softbaits, but had to work for it and i felt a bit sorry for the boy. He was a trouper, but not much fun when the fish aren't biting. High tide at 8.30 meant not much current in prime fishing time. Saw the odd bait ball on the finder, and lots of what I think are jack mackerel schools(long criss crossing lines near the bottom), but not much snapper sign.
Gulp Crazy Legs Jerk Shad in Curried Chicken was the best performer in the dirty water, cast ahead. Little fella dragged a Z Man Atomic Sunrise 4" Grub on 1/2oz Carolina rig (Trokar Flippin hook), and got some of the bigger fish.
No kahawai workups anywhere, unfortunately. At one stage we followed a heap of shearwaters flying east, but they all landed off Maraetai and just sat in a big drift on the water doing nada.

Fingers crossed for some good fishing up Tokerau Bay way, because this season in the Tamaki Strait has been pretty poor for us. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:13pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I read the first of the links posted by Sirios and think it is only slightly relevant to the Out with the 12's thread.  The thing that saves Sirois's input is that the size of the pontoon boats he is talking about is around 12 feet long.  I'm all for tolerance and won't be asking for this to be removed.

Wednesday 10/4/19 about 8 to 11am
Lovely weather, incoming tide, light NW winds.  First drift from 12 buoy inwards, about 12m deep, usual mix of kaburas, Zmen and Gulps, the latter fished more actively.  Caught more tiddlers.  Moved up to the yellow buoy closest to Rangi lighthouse and drifted in, more tiddlers.  Moved over by 6 buoy and drifted out into the shipping channel, and 14 to 15m deep. More rubbish.

Last roll of the dice was by Narrowneck beach, 12m deep.  Kept one 35cm snap and released some other marginal ones.  A stink day, but enough dins for 2 of us at home.

Saturday 13/4/19 Kuaotunu, Coromandel.  Fished the reef that extends from the end of the Blackjack hills and out to the north, maybe a kilometre out, depth around 18m.  Outgoing tide with a diagonal drift caused by a NW breeze.  Tried anchoring and bait & berley.  Mate was keen to take fish home, so anything over 31cms went in the bin.  We kept about a dozen snapper 31 to 36cms, and a parrotfish.  Most caught on squid.  When we tried drifting with soft baits & kaburas, the latter were ignored but gulps were destroyed by reef fish and maybe squid.  I think we should have moved out to clear sand and had another go with soft baits, but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Left my boat at Kuaotunu and will go back and try some different spots over Easter.  Will have to face a mad ramp that doesn't cope with Easter very well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:53pm
onanotherjob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi far quirk i’m not really under 12 but like your reports .
Was out 9/4 and not far from your area fished .

Was windy and drift was quick 1.5kn went up a size or 2 on the kaburas to 100g .
Found plenty of 30-45cm snaps outside of shiping lane straight out from Takapuna 15m -18m .Best fishing was low tide .Have had same struggles this year rod holder has not fished well spent most of my summer fishing kings instead .
Had a rubbish year in the harbor and couldn’t go wrong last year . Last year i found your reports accurate to what i was doing and much so the same his year .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:17pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 27/4/19  9am to noon

I took onanotherjob's advice very literally and headed out from Takapuna looking for 18 deep water.  Twas a long way past A buoy and seemed about a third of the way to Tiri before I hit 18m.  The fish finder showed a lot of midwater bait schools and some long marks from bigger fish on the bottom, maybe KY.  I tried a Kabura slow jigged for a while then into the rod holder.  A 4" Zman new penny curlytail went in the rod holder, and so did a gulp pink shine crazylegs, although I worked that sometimes to try to entice a bite.  The rest of the hour was spent battling with a spool of trace that I somehow got into a tangle.  An hour gone, and not a single bite.  Drift speed about 0.4 knots and not lined up with the tide, so decided to go back closer to Rangi channel to pick up the accelerating effect that going thru the gap between the lighthouse and Takapuna causes.  Stopped for about 20 minutes by A buoy but nothing doing.

First minor success was on the North Shore side of 3 (green) buoy, 12m deep, drifting at about 0.7 knots.  Caught a series of small snapper and a mid-sized KY.  Mainly took a Gulp lime tiger 4"minnow, cast ahead and worked on a 1/4oz stealth jig head, size 1/0.  Released 30 and 32cm snapper and the KY, hoping for something more substantial.  Concluded after an hour that 12m had a lot of babies around. 

Moved out closer to 5 buoy and drifted in about 14m.  Pretty soon picked up a 40cm snap in good knick which made a tasty dinner this evening.  Also caught on the Gulp lime tiger minnow.  About 11:30 the bite seemed to die, and messed around for another half hour before packing it in, only one snap in the bin.

I've been surprised how poorly the kaburas have been going for the last couple of months.  Today only caught one KY on the kabura.  The Zman 4" curlytail caught a few baby snaps, so a waste of time.  Dragging crazylegs Gulps was futile and expensive because baby fish stripped the lures off the hook.  Not just the legs, they took from 80 to 100% of most crazyleg offerings, often leaving from 10 to 30mm of the front part on the jighead.

Great weather, average fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lucky L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 5:44pm
lucky L View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was out from Takapuna late of the morning on Saturday, spent a couple of hours around the channel but got a 33cm snapper from new panny, and too many babies. It was exactly what I felt, no wind, no swell and no fish.

Shifted just before A Buoy, and picked up a couple more, of 36cm and 31cm, then all went quiet. 

I was going to call off for the day and decided to have long drift back and quit. Just drifting past Bouy 2 and wind picking up, by 3pm. The bites picked up instantly, and catched another 4 within 40 minutes. 2 of them hooked up by Kabura but biggest 2 was picked up by running rig with stinky baits,  47cm and 42cm. 

Kabura was not working well after summer season but I believed the hook size 2/0 was the reason as fish biting wasn't aggressive. I changed to the Catch Pro 1/0 hook set by 3:30pm and picked up 2 straight away.

A couple of fishes is what I like to have for each trip, and wasn't expected to pick up a full bin but it was a blessing, so I can give away to friends and family in needed. 
< ="text/" async="" ="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 7:53pm
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was out Thursday me an a mate just outside orewa river mouth we got fish up to 50cm down to smallest of 35
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:18pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thursday 2/5/19 7:30 to 10:30am
Launched Sandspit Sailing Club.  Caught & released 2 KY just outside the Sandspit harbour entrance, then searched up the side of the Tawharanui peninsular for promising spots.  Drifted out in about 6 to 12m of water until just short of Maori Rock.  Mainly small snapper and released some from 30 to 34cms.  Kept one at 39cms, which was enough for dinner and all we wanted.  About 9am the SW wind increased , so moved closer to Kaweti Point but nothing doing.  For the last few minutes drifted close to Fairchild Reef and released a 32cm snapper.  None of the bigger snaps hoped for, but interesting.  Best lure was the Zman 5" bruised banana shad fished on a 1/4oz stealth 1/0 jighead.

Friday  3/5/19 3:30 to 4:30pm
Took my wife over to Kawau Island and we walked .... almost nowhere.  Everywhere we went, the paths were blocked, washed out, trees down, slips etc.  Nuts.  The weather was warm and what we saw was beautiful, so still worth the trip.  Then we went fishing.

Headed for Iris Shoal and looked around the eastern edge at the 10m contour.  Nix.  Saw some birds working to the north so chased them around for a while for no result.  Plenty of KY, just not taking our offerings.
Headed off to about 500m west of Maori Rock and drifted in around 10 to 20m.  The Gulp blue neon pepper 5" shads on VMC extra long wide gap worm hooks and 1/2 oz sinker were popular and we kept 3 snapper from 34 to 38cms, and released a few smaller ones.  We had a dinner to get to, so left them biting at 4:30pm and back at the sailing club at 5pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:24pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 5/5/19  3 to 5:30pm

Remembered back to some good late season sessions in Motuihe channel in the late afternoon and thought it was time to do it again.  Launched Bucklands beach and did 2 long drifts from a line between the NE ferry marker buoy (closest to Matiatia) and the NE red buoy, and drifted in with the tide, drift speed from 0.7 to 1.3 knots.Went well past the SW green buoy, and almost half way to Browns Island.  The bite was patchy but the south western side of the channel was surprisingly good.  Tried out a Storm Progrub 5" in a speckled yellow/green and smeared it with Secret sauce.  It got a fair bit of interest including a small John Dory, which looked tasty.  Other lures tried were the orange/yellow kabura 60g in the rodholder, and a 4" minnow Zman atomic sunrise also in the rodholder.  I cast ahead with Gulp blue neon peppers until the supply ran out, but they were pretty good too.  Released 32, 35, 36, 42, 44 and 46cm snapper and the JD too.  Didn't take a bin or ice, so it was a strictly catch & release mission.

Towards the end casting ahead with the Atomic sunrise minnow got bites, but not as good as the rodholder.  The latter would be bugged by pickers for a while, then BAM a bigger model would smash it.  The bite slowed at 5pm, and maybe I was too far SW of Motuihe channel, but only smaller fish after 5.  Light was failing fast at 5:30.

One of the better sessions of late, and put a smile on the dial.

Just read of an 11.5 Kg 78cm snap caught by Muppet in a kayak this weekend.  Well done Dan, and sure puts my modest sized snapper in the shade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:45am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers FQ got very lucky mate that was for sure. Surprised you not B&B close in to some reefs? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:34am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Belated Report from Sunday 13/5/19 2:30 to 5pm

Back to the Motuihe channel, same as last week and the same time of day   .  This time I took the chilly bin and ice and wanted some fish.  Used the same lures, drifted very similar lines except outwards, drift speed was ideal around 1 knot, water temperature still about 19C.
Woeful, returned a few undersize and kept 1 32cm snap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:26am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We've been doing terribly in close, rangitoto Motutapu motuihe..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:47am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I’ve been finding it patchy but... looking for terns and Kahawai working has turned it from slow to good fishing in minutes. I’ve had success in the Rangitoto channel, Rakino channel and NE of Motuihe channel- but follow the action, drifting the summer spots isn’t working as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:20pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

out of army bay to day ,fished in close due to a pin hole in the bottom of the boat .a little hole, will sort it . first leak in the old girl.fishing was so so snaps up to 38 and a nice trev , kawahai all around and 60cm odd kings . nailed a nice kawahai then on came the kings, all release ones but they were fun. home with a nice little feed. go winter fishing.ps no won out there bar the navy f ning around on shore with 2) 44 gallon drums and 2 BOARDS, with 2 new sailors sitting on them ,I said whats this all about and the reply was training. what is that about
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:22pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are you guys having your luck on the smelly stuff or lures?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:35pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

smelly bait I call it, and yes
Page  <1 362363364365366 393>