Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 361362363364365 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:20am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome Clay! stunning fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 1:03pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Outstanding Clay - going out Friday for a kingie mission from Browns Bay - that would be nice!

Shot - well done Clay. Inspiring as I was going to try the same thing on Sunday morning but wind had got up too much so I headed back home early.

RF - where you heading to on Friday? Have similar thoughts but was thinking of going Kawau way.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 1:16pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Outstanding Clay - going out Friday for a kingie mission from Browns Bay - that would be nice!

Shot - well done Clay. Inspiring as I was going to try the same thing on Sunday morning but wind had got up too much so I headed back home early.

RF - where you heading to on Friday? Have similar thoughts but was thinking of going Kawau way.

My plan was to launch 6am Browns bay - get my livies in close - then well not sure . Last year had some kingfish action
1. WHERE WE GET LIVIES!
2. Next to Gardners gap - admin bay
3. billy goat point
4. Awash rock Rakino
5. Noises / davids area
Anywhere in between - in fact our best efforts last year was fluking couple good kings on wormbeds amogst a patch of kahawaii/mackeral. Anywhere bait will be kings!

Should be heading further north I agree.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:55am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Guys, 

Can someone enlighting as me as the where I can snag some livies on the way to Flatrock when I launch at martins bay? 

Or should I just stop and drop some burley and wait for them to come to me? 

TKK, Redfinger I'm looking at you guys for wisdom

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:35am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would head to Bostaquet Bay (the bay before Challenger) and do a grid search on your sounder in that area. That's where the charter skippers look for bait balls to drop sabikis on.

You are also likely to see terns and shearwaters working here or there and probably can pick up a small kahawai or two. They are chasing small baitfish at this time of year, so a 3" Gulp or 3.75" Z Man softie in pale baitfish shades should do the trick.

Flat Rock is interesting. When I went there on a charter, the kingies were present in the morning but shut down (we only got one) and we went back in the afternoon after a snapper session south east of Challenger and the kingies were on fire.

Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:01pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Around Martins there should be plenty just slowly drive out until you find them some times we get them 100m or so off the beach other wise drive towards what looks like an old wharf of shipwreck on the first island you reach? usually find some round there too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:24pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Legends, thanks for the advice guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:50pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We normally pick up lives (Jack Macs) around the mouth of the Mahurangi harbour depending on the stage of the tide in by pancake island can be quite reliable. Just use your sounder to find the bait balls and drift your sabikis through them.

Flat rock and the surrounding pins are in interesting place. We find the current direction plays a major part in determining the bite times and fish placement. Lives are key on the harder days, but always keep an eye out for surface action.

Good Luck
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:08pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went to orere point for an after work fish, put the boat in got to spot cast 4 times pulled in 4 (2 33s 2 40s) back on the beach in 20 mins, sweet, used 1.2l of fuel haha

Shout out to @kaveman your lures are the tits

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:05pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How'd you go today far quirk?
Saw you retrieving at okahu on our way in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:00am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Ecko
Not bad.  Concentrated on the area around 19 buoy and had a lot more success than last time.  Kept 6 snapper 35 to 38cm and released at least 6 from 31 to 38cms.  Difference was the kaburas started paying their way.

Sunday 13/1/19  8:15 to 11am
Solo mission to get the mojo back.  Incoming tide lined up nicely with NE breeze, drift speed 1 to 1.3 knots. Dropped down 2 kaburas and within 5 mins had 2 pannies on board. Further out the back dragged a Zman new penny 4" curlytail which got hit a lot, but mainly smaller fish.  Fairly short drifts because closer to Devonport wharf produced tiddlers.  Eventually got a fourth set working with either nuke chook or pink shine 5" Gulp shads.  This was fished with the drop, let out line, jiggle, let out line, jiggle and repeat mode which has worked well for years when the rod holders are slow.  Got some great hits during or immediately after jiggling, some braid-ripping runs, and the best fish caught this way.  Quite possible the right Zman would produce the same result but didn't try it, so no info.

About 10:45 the bite slowed, and had enough fish so pulled the plug at 11.  Great day, and if it's anything like previous summers it should be easy fishing for months to come.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:08am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Got in to some nice kingis a week or so back not too far from flat rock. Was all surface action though so no need for livies
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 2:18pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Went to orere point for an after work fish, put the boat in got to spot cast 4 times pulled in 4 (2 33s 2 40s) back on the beach in 20 mins, sweet, used 1.2l of fuel haha

Shout out to @kaveman your lures are the tits...
Cheers Terry, glad to see them catching. Hows the rod going?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:35pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

3 short reports

Took a former colleague out about 3 weeks ago.  We fished the city channel and did best around 19 to 17 buoys on an outgoing tide.  Also tried near Westhaven after a tip from Wee Tin.  Maybe got there a bit late because we only got smaller models.Kept 6 snapper and a 43cm gurnard (yum!).

Last weekend tried near 19 buoy again but it was very slow.  Went closer to Devonport wharf, also zilch.  Drifted several different lines from around 17 to 11 buoys.  The water is maybe 12 to 15m deep.  Eventually picked up 2 keepers, late 30's.

Today decided to go back to what was working last year.  Drifted inwards from the container wharf towards the naval docks.  Was hairy as with no less than 5 ship movements between 7 and 8:30.  At one stage had a good snapper on and another smaller one too.  A small freighter zoomed out of the container docks right into my way.  "I say old chap, do you mind?"  Jammed the rod into the rod holder and towed the fish out of the way.  The bigger one was a 52cm snapper in great nick.  The smaller one was legal, but a put-back.  Caught another nice snapper about 42cms, but a naval ship came in and dawdled around the channel with 2 tugs towing.  At this stage had 3 keepers and bailed out after 90 minutes of madness.  Best snapper took a Kaveman 60g orange/yellow kabura in the rod holder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:44pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First trip for some time.  Drift off naval base as it was getting daylight for nothing.  Out round the buoys stickbaiting for an hour for nothing. In closer to Rangi SP-ing.  Pretty slow.  Tide dropping off. Near low tide it picked up. Very tentative bites: seemed to just have a suck at the bait, then hold it in their mouth. Neap tide, little flow.  Best 9 - 9:45, which was slack water.  Ended up with 4 in the 40-45 range plus some smaller models that went back, and decided to head round to Motuihe channel, as much for the ride as anything else.  One buoy had lots of very small rats and decent KY.  Picked up some more snaps, kept another 2 in the same eating size, a couple of smaller versions.

So... pretty slow, not really on the bite, but a really lovely day out there.  Too hot really. Multiple layers of sunblock but still feeling it a little.  A fair few other people on the water.

What a way to spend Valentine's Day - with someone you love: me Surtees :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:40am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Lost my mojo for the mo.

Sunday 17/2/19 about 3 hours from 7:30am
City channel with my mate George, 2 kaburas dragging and Zman curytails or Gulp crazylegs worked out behind the boat.  Apart from a big hit on the first drop near Westhaven, which got off after a good struggle, it was slow as.  Kept 2 snapper, mid 30's.

Saturday 2/3/19 7:30 to 11:30am
Launched Bucklands Beach and fished Motuihe channel (very few boats and a few tiddlers released).  Went over closer to Waiheke drifting out from behind Crusoe rock level with Church Bay, and heading towards level with Matiatia.  This is usually a never fail spot year round, but produced only 1 36cm snapper.  Then headed south of Sergeants and fished the perimeter of the 25m hole.  Lastly went back to Sergeants channel and drifted the western side of Crusoe for nix.  Total 1 measly snapper for 4 hours.

There were more boats along the Church Bay to Matiatia run including 5 charter boats, so maybe bait was producing, but I didn't see or hear much excitement on the charter boats.  Sergeants channel was also almost devoid of boats - quite unusual for this time of year.

Back to the drawing board!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 2:07pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 17/3/19  7:20am to 10am

Mojo still lost.

Similar to my trip on 3/3.  Launched Bucklands Beach, fished Sergeants Channel for a whole lotta tiddlers and one 36cm snapper (same size as 3rd March).  Went out back of Crusoe and drifted out like last time.  Caught a lot of microsnaps on microjigs (white/fluoro 20g, pink/blue/silver 30g, orange/white 60g).  The snapper were keen on the Gulp new penny squid vicious, watermelon crazylegs, Zman motor oil 4" curlytail, but more of the babies.  Tide waned about 9:30 and the snaps got even smaller.  Orange/yellow kabura caught the only keeper.

The bigger models must be elsewhere.

Considered fishing Beachlands area but not enough tide or wind to get drifting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:34pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep trying FQ. My mojo comes and goes, mostly goes. Try other spots, thats my plan.  Hope for Wednesday: weather window, work window.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:38pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you guys don't mind an hour tow the Kaipara is fishing very well at the moment - we are getting them fly fishing with a bit of berley in 4m of water. Plenty there up to 45cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 7:08pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good honest report, Geoff.
It seems, from what you and others are reporting from places such as the Rangi channel, that it's a season for small stuff, only sporadic bigger fish.
When I went out last time we got a lot of small rattle-tattles which are tiny snapper bites. Only a couple where a bigger fish just wolfed down the softy.
Very frustrating, and a bit of shame when the fish we hook most aren't strong enough to pull string.

Maybe the prevalence of small fish is a good sign for future years - in terms of high survival of juveniles? Or maybe it's a bad sign that the bigger fish are being caught before they can make it through to feed in traditional summer feeding areas?

Hopefully things will improve in April and we can get some of the nice 50+ fish which are a thrill to tangle with.

Page  <1 361362363364365 393>