Free marine charts online.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free marine charts online.
    Posted: 10 Jan 2008 at 6:30pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why didn't I find this one sooner, head to: http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/index.asp

and you can download all the Nz marine charge for free- very handy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saltshaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2008 at 7:49pm
saltshaka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bugger that-- jammed my lappy up!
GET REEL!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CaptainPlastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 8:07pm
CaptainPlastic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool KJ - great resource, thanks for pointing this out. I downloaded the.tif options. Be nice to zoom into a specific area and print off for trips away etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 8:29pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If ya use a free program called sea clear you can zoom in etc
Do a search in here im sure there is instructions how to do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 10:55pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by CaptainPlastic CaptainPlastic wrote:

Cool KJ - great resource, thanks for pointing this out. I downloaded the.tif options. Be nice to zoom into a specific area and print off for trips away etc.
Any image editing program should allow you to zoom in, crop & resize (within the limits of the original charts resolution) and print off as required. These are raster images so you are limited as to how much zoom is possible without loss of detail - unlike vector format images.

You can view and zoom them with the standard default Windows image viewer.

DogFish
I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Parrot Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 8:35pm
Parrot Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 5:17pm
onthefly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi kj

Is there any way to enlarge the charts to a workable size without losing detail?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 5:34pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi otf, are you looking at the jpegs perhaps? they have no detail at all. You need to go in another layer deeper into the site and save the .tif files, much larger but you can zoom in a fair way.. (I cut this out with snagit and saved as a jpeg file)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 6:38pm
skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i take it this isnt our secret spot for the naki comp?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. ~Author Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 9:56pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i saved mine as the tif file and i get nowhere as much detail ...its all blurry at bu***r all zoom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 11:47pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I saved the tif file on the hard drive and opened it with irfanview, very clear and heaps of zoom
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2008 at 6:52am
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As KarlosNZ said.
Grab a wee proggy called SeaClear2 off the web - allows you to import these charts (I think you have to convert them to BMP on the free version, but Google will help you do that).

Easy to then tag likely spots and chuck them into the old handheld GPS, or download your days killing fields or tracks.

Once converted into SeaClear, the images are a lot less memory hungry than the TIFs, but still excellent detail.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cpt1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 3:06pm
cpt1986 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Seaclear2 does NOT work for .tif images and .kap files are required to use the linz charts in anything other than paint or windows fax/photo viewer i spent hours trying to create/source the .kap files for the nz chartfolio and did so after much frustration through this link http://depositfiles.com/files/c092kjvmu you can get sea clear 2 at this link http://www.sping.com/seaclear/#DOWNLOAD . spend some time getting to know the software and how it interfaces with your gps unit(have mine working with both our garmin gpsmap210 via serial, and a usb gps dongle) once you understand how the software operates this is a great way to pre plot trips and then follow waypoints once out to sea . stay safe out there AND REMEMBER THE SCANNED CHARTS FROM LINZ (.TIF) ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR NAVIGATION(OR COMMERCIAL NAVIGATION) http://deposits.com/s/c092kjvmu -
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 4:51pm
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I thought that files had to be converted to WCI to run in Seaclear, all of mine are
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:47am
lrak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You might like this fishing website better. It uses electronic charts instead of scanned paper charts. 

Originally posted by kj kj wrote:

Why didn't I find this one sooner, head to: http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/index.asp - http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/index.asp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:13am
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lrak lrak wrote:

You might like this fishing website better. It uses electronic charts instead of scanned paper charts. 

Originally posted by kj kj wrote:

Why didn't I find this one sooner, head to: http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/index.asp - http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/index.asp

That's a beauty site Irak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote gabeold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
gabeold View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Figured I'd put this here to help others:
Check out https://wetmaps.co.nz. It's free marine charts for the entire NZ.
It looks like you can also switch between other maps including Navionics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:18pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are the basic charts that are used on most gps units.. Cmap etc
Want more upto date and detail