Snapper Hooks

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2004 at 8:53pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok the pics gone but Ive used the rest of the pack of JW hooks and found them to be OK, so no worries AC. I'll buy them again, only cause I'm cheap.

Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2004 at 9:54pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

As a small time, independent manufacturer(?) i'v tried them all. In fact I started tying trout flies about 40 years ago when the only hooks available were Mustads & then Partridge. I'v kept a collection of some of the worst & can say some of them were pretty nasty.

Since moving on to Flashers I'v also "tried them all" & can say without any doubt, there's only one hook , the Gammie. I have two hooks on my bench that I rejected, & that would be out of thousands.

So far I have only had one complaint of a hook failing & that was a guy who landed a 20kg Kingi on a 4/0 on 24kg. The hook bend had moved about 10% & the guy wanted me to do something about it!

Some of the other "known " brands have a reject rate of up to 5%, by my standards , so compared to the Gammie .00001% or thereabouts, there's no contest.

A trick I learned years ago from Keith Draper was to "flick" each hook with a fingernail while it was in the vice. This indicated the "temper" & you soon learn to recognise a dud or soft hook.

Hope this is of some help.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2004 at 3:41pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Uncle speaks good sense. 

Uncle knowledgable man. 

Uncle nice guy. 

Uncle you da bomb! 

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2004 at 3:57pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For a minute there Chris I thought you were Uncle!

Gammies are tops though. I like the Octopus patterns for straylining, and the Circle hooks for ledger rigs on a hard drag.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2004 at 4:11pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He is your Uncle aye Chris.....No disrespect to you though Uncle.

Yep the Gammiesters are the Shizel.

There's not many in here that would agree with that!..

Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2004 at 4:35pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well thanks ChrisW.

I bow to your fine judgement!

Page  <123