Snapper Hooks

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 1:32pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Me too Wef, I got 7 boxes when the container arrived a few months back
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 1:39pm
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mustad Penetrator 4/0 - 6/0...

I dont care about the big hook "trend" or "theory".

I have the best hook up rate on these babies, altho I am warming to gammies. If I am being plagued by mini snapper or they are feeding aggresively then I swap to recurves.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 2:45pm
jerm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I like trying the field when it comes to hooks. Have been using some Wasabis lately with good results - pretty easy on the wallet too. November a good time to get them - 3 eco boxes of chemically sharpened hooks for $19.95!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 3:04pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gammies and VMC's are my current favourites, but in my tackle box I've got heaps of others aswell... JW's, Black Magics, Mustads, Penn, Ryoshi even a couple of Eagle Claw's.

I like the Gammies and VMC's because of how well they keep their point and to me they are good value for money. Don't seem to rust too quickly either.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 8:29pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gammies and blacks...suit my style premo
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 9:05pm
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mustard Penetrators 5/0 tp 7/0. Gammies 6/0 and 7/0

JW 6/0 to 8/0.

Also tried the De Coro ones and they are good to.

Cheers Woody

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 8:03am
Spina View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Howdy all, If you are worried about gut hooking fish any fish , start using recurve hooks , you can just about say they have a 99%+ hook up rate in the side of the mouth.

In fact if you are to busy to hold your rod, or doing the burley up or just a lazy buggar, most of the time the fish will set the hook them selves when they strike the bait, thats if your using  circle hooks.

Just remember if you are using circle hooks when bait fishing have your drag fairly tight, only enought to let a big fish run, but not enough to let the fish take any line of the reel when striking the bait.

Have you not ever wondered why the Japanese use them so much???, and they certainly know how to catch fish.

Also when using these hooks only use a small bait, and put the hook through the middle of the bait only once

Dont waste your time trying to give me a hard time being in politics teaches one very quickly how to turn a deaf eye and a blind ear!
wheres my glasses cant find my hearing aids without them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HOOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 11:20am
HOOK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gammys all the way.... 7/0 Octupus, have some 7/0 octopus circle hooks to try out, anyone used them and what do you reckon.

HOOK

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 12:13pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have been using gammi octopus pattern 4/0 thru to 8/0 for years now - seem to do the trick. usually match the hook size to the bait size which determines the line weight - you get the picture im sure...

when im using the 3 kilo 'toy' gear for inshore snapper im usually on a 4/0 but i also remove the barb with some pliers to help with setting the hook - with the light elastic line i doubt the hooks would have a chance to fall out.  the 3 kilo gear has platapus platinum line on it, which i reckon is pretty strechy - but while it makes to harder to hook up - it also provides a larger margin of error which im sure has saved me many good fish

but anyway, back to the hooks - primo hooks - nice fine gauge wire - i like the turned down eye cos i snood the hook to the trace. bit more expensive than others perhaps - but hey $5 a pack compared to $3 a pack - who cares?!

m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 7:17pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hook, either i used those same hooks on all the good fishing days and other hooks on unproductive days, or they are just right for my style of fishing. but my hookup rate on gammie octopus circles is much higher then others.

last time i went to buy some i could not get the 50 hook box and as they are to dear to buy 6 at a time i bought a bulk pack of another brand. lets just say i can't wait to use them up so i can buy some more gammies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 10:13pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used gammies for years, cause thats what I had always used and they worked and worked well I might add. Then after recomation from this site I gave JW hooks a go, And Ive started to come to the conclusion that I was throwing money into the tide using the gammies, but that's just me a tight ass.

Cheers Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 10:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

wefaknis, do JW make circle hooks as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 11:18pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

CanadianJohn, yep JW do a mutsu style circle out of the same stable as their "J" or suicide style hooks. Most commonly found in red but have seen some in black. Same price per packet, just a few less inside. Still great value!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 11:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

cheers mate, may have a look at them as well then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2003 at 12:21am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

A good mate of mine with a $.5 million boat  thought it would be a good start on the upgrade to use cheapsh*t  hooks. He went to the "hot house " or somesutch & purchased bulk hooks by the hundreds, all sizes & proceeded out to slay the foe. He struck a "hot bite" of the kind we all dream about & hooked up big time. Only prob was these bent pins didn't do the job they were supposedly designed for & 3 "munters" were lost at or near the boat!!!

All thoughts of conservation, contamination & recycling went out the door & the whole lot went overboard.

I was very considerate & didn't give him tooooo much sh*t, but had to point out that there is only one hook when it matters & thats a GAMMIE

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2003 at 10:42am
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gammies for me, 6, 8 or 10/0 depending on bait, location etc Usually just 6/0s 90% of the time though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scarpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2003 at 9:33pm
scarpie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Only Gammies these days.  Only price difference is $1 per pkt, I'd say that was well worth the it for the utter reliability and higher performance of the Gammies.  Besides they don't rust new in the pkts either!
don't cloud the issue with facts!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2003 at 2:05pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hello everybody,

Interesting development last night opened up a new pack of Jarvis Walker 6/0 hooks tied the knot went to fastern the knot on,  using the back of the knife and it (the hook) bent like butter (oh dear)

Now Ive been using JW hooks since the end of last summer and found them to be exellent. But this hook made me think twice. I'm yet to test the rest of the pack, but there is a dought in my mind now. I think it's back to gammies for me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2003 at 5:21pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats definitely not a good look !!
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2003 at 6:42pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wefaknis,

How many JW hooks have you used in total since starting with them to find the dud? It's always really interesting to find out what the percentage failure rate is. I've had dud hooks from just about every brand including missing eyes, points, barbs, and poor tempering. I go through thousands of hooks a year and it's always interesting to compare the performance of the brands.

For example, in the last couple of years I've had the following:

The missing eyes were Gammies and JW. The missing barb was Mustad. The missing points were Youvella and VMC. The poor tempering were Original Eagle Claw (NOT from the Big Red Barn but from when Kilwell had them) and also Gourock. I've also had breakages on ultrlight tackle from several brands that were either big fish or faulty hooks.

All the brands have had the odd hook or packet with a problem. I always check packets now before stowing them in the tackle box regardless of manufacturer, and send any faulty ones back with the packaging they were in. Doing so has scored me bulk packs in response as it lets the supplier know there might be a batch problem

Page  <123>