Giant Trevs in Fiji

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Legend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giant Trevs in Fiji
    Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 7:08am
Blue Legend View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We stayed at Denerau Island but were told of an awesome dive spot called Beqa Reserve so the trip was booked. Up at 5am for the 2 1/2 hr journey to pacific harbour where the boat departed at 8:30am. 15 mins to the dive site and we took along 2 x 120litre wheelie bins full of fresh meat scraps and two 60litre bags of yellowfin Tuna heads. As soon as we arrived the crew threw some scraps in the water and instantly there was a frenzy on the surface. everyone thought this must be some hungry sharks but we were soon told na, that's the GT's. With the pure strength and power, these fish were so aggressive in feeding, it was like watching a pack of hungry pitbulls fighting for the only piece of meat they had seen for weeks. And we hadn't even got in the water yet. First dive and we dropped down to 30m with one of the 120l bins. 100's of GT's (most of which were between at least 50 - 60kg) circling the feeder and bin and once on the bottom, were fed the meat. The circling of the feeder was so intense it was hard to actually see them get the meat, and the circling action was causing a swirlpool that we could feel like a current. When one GT got the meat and took off with it, 3 or 4 would be chasing it trying to wrench it out of it's mouth. There was a couple more feeding points on the way up feeding sharks (can't name them all) but up to 8 different species within 2 feet from our faces and in some cases we had to duck out of the way of the shark after they had grabbed their feed.

2nd dive and we went to 16m  where the Tuna heads had been placed into a steel cage to attract the Bull sharks. There were only 3 bull sharks present  all about 3-4m long and HUGE. They would not feed while the GT's were so close so the other 120l bin was used to feed the GT's about 5m above to keep them away. The bull sharks would slowly come in and take these tuna heads out of the hands of the feeders (who were wearing steel mesh gloves by the way) which was all about 3m in front of us.

I had never seen a shark while diving before and didn't know how I would feel, but in this situation, as close as we were, I found myself wanting to get even closer and pat them even. If anyone plans a trip to Fiji, I would strongly recommend this dive.

A couple of days later we had a dive off Beachcomer in the oldest and largest Marine reserve in Fiji, poor vis and not much to see so dissapointing really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 7:27am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those trevs sound wicked. What was the company you did the dive through? I might be heading there for a Uni trip next year and it sounds like a pretty rad dive to do!
Did you mean 5-6 feet or metres for the sharks? I didnt think Bulls got that big? Max of 3.5 metres? I dunno. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Legend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 7:42am
Blue Legend View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The dive company was BAD dive company. (Beqa Adventure Divers). The Bull sharks looked about 5-6 Metres but as we know everything looks bigger underwater so probably 3-4m. Well they told us they were Bulls anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Knightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 8:12pm
Knightowl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sounds awesome, something you'd never forget, I think I'd be a bit shy of them sharks though.