Reasonable Mornings work - BOI

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasonable Mornings work - BOI
    Posted: 29 Sep 2007 at 12:11pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went off Taps this morning, hoping to beat the wind. Started heading off the beach just on first show of light and on the spot by 0600.

Water was lumpy but lovely and warm. A couple of good blobs on the FF but only thing that came out from under them were several small snaps (25cm or so) - Not what I was after, so changed onto the paravane and big SP mackerel and cruised around the white water of the reefs and edges.  This at least gave me a nice 53cm KY.  Wind was starting to pick up by 8 and the main reef was starting to churn so I headed over there and drifted with a monster school of Maomao, the FF was solid from surface to floor at 12m...Nothing else hanging around though.
So a quick change of rig and sent a strayline squid down, then some jackmacks, then a slab of skippy...more nothing.

As the schools were on the upwind edge of the reef and I didn't feel like drifting into the washing machine I went back onto the paravane - instant rat king. More paddling around the wash and another larger rat, just legal but not kept, after about 15min.  Looked promising, but wasn't happy with playing good fish that close to the monsters that were breaking over the rock so called it a day.

Now I have to keep the promise and paint the bathroom...Ouch

The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!