Fishfinders for Kayaks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishfinders for Kayaks
    Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 7:32am
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am interested in getting a fishfinder for my Kayak.  Looking at a budget one, would not like to get very expensive one to start off with.

Any ideas/recommendations on good, cheap models?  I have been looking at the Eagle Cuda range.  Anyone with experience using these?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 9:07am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stingray,

how about a Humminbird? they are decent and get the job done. I don't know much about the Eagle/Cuda what you want to look at is pixel count/resolution especially in bright light.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 3:53pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try one of the bottomline battery powered directional ones. They will clamp onto the side of your kayak, they are not hugely powerful, but sufficient I suspect for anywhere you will be going with a kayak. They are also totally self contained, no need for car batteries etc etc.

cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 5:05pm
jerm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Steve at Stirlings Sports Whangarei drowned a few in the process of his 'experiments' - give him a buzz to get his thoughts. The one he's using now is not cheap but being as exposed as you are, its going to get wet. His also has a GPS plotter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 7:06am
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I have heard of Steve in Whangarei - think I will give him a call.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 11:30am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steve will tell you to get a Lowerance...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moby Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 11:36am
Moby Dick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - I'm looking for a fish finder for my Kayak too - Ones Ive been recommended as fit for the job are. the Eagle fisheasy 2 portable (240 x 160) or the Garmin 100 portable (160 x 100), or the Humminbird Piranha 4 (160 x 65). The better the resolution the more expensive they are. The important thing seems to be to get a portable one so there is a small power supply and also an easy to mount suction cup transducer. The Humminbird looks good as it's not too expensive and just runs of AA batteries.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 3:51pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go for the most you can afford with a suction cup style transducer and shoot through the hull.

It's one of those things that you get what you pay for.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 4:55pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Am contemplating the finder but problem is if it cost $5 or $5000 it would look the same to me as i wouldnt have a f*#kin clue how to read the bloody things,