How do you transport your kayaks ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you transport your kayaks ?
    Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 7:52pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone have some novel forms of transporting kayaks ?

I have 2 4m sitons which don't wish to accomodate each other in any position.

Tend to strap one to the top of my trailer and then strap the second in a manner across the top of the first. Takes a good 1/2 an hour and some manhandling to get the buggers positioned and tied down securely.

Am considering getting a roofrack so I can put 1 on the car and 1 on the trailer ? 

My other thought was to get a framework to mount to the top of the trailer - but this seems like hard work.

Pland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 7:59pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pland,

hmmmm. I recall having seen somebody with a novel looking trailer. They were transporting 4 Eco Bezhigs around. I think those are 4 or so meters. I haven't a clue where they got it though. If you want something quickly I'd say yeah build a frame out of 2x4's for your trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 8:54pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

my dad has got roof racks for his car but havent actuallt used them yet but they are all moulded with a good fastening system. i would say this is a good idea.

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote safariman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 8:55pm
safariman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

you could try and put an old matress between them, i find it molds to the shape and makes it easyier to tie together
(%) and she thinks that will stop me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 10:09pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i pop the hatch and put mine in the pasenger seat. i make sure it wears a seatbelt and tie the hatch down with a rope that goes through the end carry handle. its secure, but the exhaust fumes hinder my paddling abilities a bit, i tend to just want to sleep when i get there. i have a roof rack to fit onto the wifes car when i get a chance. but i have to make the brackets that hold the kayak in place. i'll use plywood and cut it with a template of the kayaks bottom side profile.

maybe i'll just buy a hiace, much easier!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 7:16am
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I transport 2 Perception Swing kayaks, next to each other and upside down, on roofracks on a Nissan Terrano.  Searched around a bit to find roofracks wide enough to take both. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 9:04am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thule makes a roof rack that allows you to tie them facing sideways. Works pretty well. pricey depending on your vehicle...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 9:17am
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I carry two 4.1 metre sit ons ,on the roof of my honda integra.I use pro racks and i stand both kayaks on their sides to fit two on,i use two holders for each kayak so they sit on their sides on the roof rack then i drop two wank wank straps over them and tie both ends down on front and rear ,never had a problem,have been on several long(6-7 hour) drives with them  140km plus no sweat.P.S if you see me dont follow too close aye .If all my yak mates wanna come on the mish we have a trailer with a rack that will take 4 kayaks,real easy to make trailer racks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 6:34pm
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Big Fish Hunter,

What is a wank wank Strap??

Hellfish,

I have used Thule roof racks for surfboards, they are excellent, pricey though. They probably will have attachments for kayaks.

Have thought about getting a kayak, and have found your comparisons excellent.

Got to agree with all to try before you buy to make sure it is comfortable for you personally. I remembering reading about a chap who had a good setup in the NZ Fishing News. Was 3 or 4 months ago.

Cheers Woody

Cheers Woody.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 8:29pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yep my dads got the thule kayak holders but he cant remember how much they were. weve got the thule ski rack also which i use to hold skis, snowboards, surfboards and also my fishing rods. they have a clamping mechanism with soft padding and dont damage the rods and boards

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 9:32pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thule Kayak Rack $380!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 4:59pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My pro racks were $250 i think but the pieces to side stand the yaks on the racks almost required a second mortgage to get $150 a pair and i needed two pair ,didnt tell mum about that lot (they dont look that expensive so i think i may get away with it)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 6:58pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All - thanks for the excellent feedback.

Will go look at some roofracks.

Pland