Kayak Angling Tactics

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayak Angling Tactics
    Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 8:03am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What people don't realize is that fishing off a yak requires a little more thought. Let us see how you rig your yak, catch your fish, and keep yourself on the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 9:29am
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love the 6kg from my yak its fun,fun,fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 10:04am
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Does anyone ever fish while anchored,this is often how i fish from my yak,am keen to find a system of moving anchor rope from front to rear while on the yak .......any thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 11:10am
Si View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I used to fish from a sit-on kayak while anchored, had the anchor rope attached to the carry handles on the side.... probably not the best place to atach an anchor but it worked for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 12:54pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Big Fish Hunter,

I know of an anchoring system available that is set up by two pullies attached to the bow and stern of the yak. A loop of rope is attached to the pullies with an additional 1m length spliced on. The 1 m length has a snap on the end to attach a seasock anchor. This allows you to drift slowly and move your anchor front to back depending on what you want or need to do.

Its fool proof and the only way to go!

If you're interested in getting one, PM me and I'll direct you to the source.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 1:03pm
Stingray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi  I normally fish while anchored.  Still working on a way so that I can move the anchor point form bow to stern while anchored.  This will be ideal, as you can then always move the anchor point so that you face the direction that the tide takes your bait.

At the moment, I feed the anchor rope through the carry loops at either the bow or stern (depending on conditions) before I set out.  I do not like pulling the anchor up through the carry loops (too much friction, and then the anchor remains hanging from there), so I clip a spring-loaded carabineer attached to a short length of rope that is tied to the kayak, around the anchor rope just before dropping the anchor, so the anchor rope can slide through it.  That way, when I want to retrieve the anchor, I just pull on this rope until I can reach the anchor rope, and then pull up from the side.

I would love to hear how others do this.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 2:36pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stingray thats pretty much what i do,except i just paddle back wards and grab the anchor rope off the side then pull in from side ,but your onto it ,if we could swap front to rear as required then you can always face the way the bait is running
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2003 at 6:56pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We have 2 kayaks so I go out with my wife or son.

Have an carabinier which I use to hook between a loop on the anchor rope and the bow / stern handles of the kayak.

We sit the kayaks side by side facing in different directions and clip a short rope between them to keep together so we have access to each others forward hatches. Have put a forward facing rodholder on each which is out of the way of the paddles when moving but more convenient to use by the person in the other kayak.

Pland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 5:01pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just sussed out a sliding anchor system ,fitted well and does the job ,better get into some spring snaps now.............