Lake PUPUKE

Page  <1 34567 14>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 8:52am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So Trout is back on the bait. 3 nice ones last night. The trick is to cast far. say 20-30m. They are in deep water. Also another fish got my bait. large Carp tipe fish. Lost it just before the jetty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2007 at 2:30pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could have been a hybrid fish Stika?  The rain should get them feeding again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2007 at 9:25am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Fish are strange creatures. They're even more unpredictable than women - and that's going some.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hi Rusky

I always get a chuckle when I read your "signature" postscript as quoted above.

True as those words may be, they also prompt sympathetic consideration for the  "compounded confusion" male fish must have to endure, in dealing with their female counterparts.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 5:15pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Friday fishing!

As my licence is coming to the end I trying to get to the lake as much as i can. Last friday 1 hr of fishing produced 2 excellent size trout. GREAT.

But saturday morning prodiced 5Kg snappa from the beach. NOW WHATS BETTER!

See you there this week coming

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 8:17pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5kg snapper stika, thats impressive.  Hmmm, wonder when my liscence expires?

Yep woman are strange creatures Bazza, but the males are just confused.  Some saltwater fish change sex from males to females.  Who would think of such a horrible punishment?? Stern%20Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:01am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

If you have a F&G licence Rusky it will expire in a seven days time i.e. next Sunday 30 th Sept.

Taupo licences from memory expire on 30 th. of June unless otherwise stated.

Re fish changing sex, I have a couple of fishing buddies who are turning into old women. Wonder if that is a result of too much time fishing & being constantly involved with fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 7:26pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

As Stika reports in a previous post, the fish in Pupuke are finally back on the bite again, despite being the period of a full moon.

Last month on the full moon I had several visits where I blanked, as did many others. Today I landed one average size, lost a couple through plain stupidity, then landed my PB fish (rainbow) from Pupuke around the 4lb. mark, not a monster by any means, but still a good fish from Pupuke. Another angler fishing by the rowing club had four nice fish & as he was still fishing may well have reached his limit of five.

Despite being a reasonable size/weight my fish had a rather pathetic looking tail fin. I suspect this may be the result of being hatchery reared & kept in round concrete tanks, to reach a reasonable size before being released, as I understand is the case with recent releases into Pupuke.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of fish that come out of Pupuke compared with the number that have been released. The most recent release I believe was 1000 legal size fish, which assuming 50% are caught/kept then that amounts to only 100 limit bags. As collectively untold bags of 3, 4 & 5 fish are regulary being taken, does this indicate they could possibly be breeding there as well?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 3:28pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok.  Renewed my trout licence and am itching for a trout fish once this weather settles down.

Has anyone fished pupuke recently?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 4:03pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

Ok.  Renewed my trout licence and am itching for a trout fish once this weather settles down.

Has anyone fished pupuke recently?

Spent a couple of hours there yesterday Rusky with a raging gale on my back & not a touch.

Must say lake fishing did not hold that much appeal, after 4 days fishing the Whakapapa last week. The weather was mostly atrocious but surprisingly enough the fishing was fantastic despite, the river conditions being mostly marginal for fishing & the river running high.

Landed plenty of good sized fish, mainly browns & lost umpteen others on my 5 wt. rod which proved to be a bit light for the fast running conditions, a lot of fun nevertheless.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 4:19pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah your right Bazza, river fishing certainly outweighs lake fishing most of the time.  Problem is there are no close rivers in Auckland that "I" know about.

11th of November I'll be at Whanganui river for a week giving the fly a flick.  Can't wait...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 6:48pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Nah your right Bazza, river fishing certainly outweighs lake fishing most of the time.  Problem is there are no close rivers in Auckland that "I" know about.

11th of November I'll be at Whanganui river for a week giving the fly a flick.  Can't wait...

Hey Rusky

For your info, if intending to fish the Whanganui, then just south of Taumarunui where the river runs beside the highway, there appears to be a substantial amount of the river on the western side being opened up.

The Eastern side is & has between relatively clear fishing but difficult to readily access, unless you drive a distance & have permission from the landowners.

Conversely the western side altho more readily accessed by comparison, has far fewer willow lined stretches, that allow for an easy back cast.

However as previously mentioned, stretches of the eastern side are currently being cleared of willows etc. by a formidable force of earth moving machinery.

There would appear to be no obvious reason for doing this & on asking I was informed or perhaps misinformed, that it was in order to open up beats for the upcoming world flyfishing champs to be held there in Feb 08.

If this is the reason then personally I have mixed feelings towards this & can but wonder how it may be perceived by the general public, particularly the local residents/ratepayers.

If the clearing of the willows leads towards bank erosion or depletion of safe habitat for the fish or any other downside, then it may prove to be a very contentious PR exercise against the federation & freshwater anglers in general, for so often we profess to hold primary concern for the environment.

Maybe I was missinformed & perhaps that which could possibly be considered environmental vandalism, has no connection to the upcoming championships or there may be an otherwise good reason the banks are being cleared.

Perhaps someone on this forum connected with the WFF would care to comment.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 8:28pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wont be fishing that part of the river Bazza.

Im on 4 by 4 suzuki jeeps into the bush for over an hour along old logging tracks to a cabin situated in a gully along the upper reaches of the Whanganui river.  Its a hunting/fishing cabin where you pay to stay in an area where no other fisherman or hunters are present.

Has featured on a Pam's add before when in the bush.  Last time I was there a helicopter came in from Auckland bringing a bunch of Americans, to appreciate the outdoors in NZ.  The dam chopter gave me a hell of a fright as I was downstream fishing when this montrosity comes buzzing around the gully and almost blows me off my feet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 9:10pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So much for fishing with no one else around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 9:46pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught this beauty at Lake  pupuke this evening. It was the second snag after the first one got away. And yep.. they are in deep water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 7:21pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a splash to try out some new fins in pupuke today.  Water level is low, and surface temperature warm, however after a metre below the surface the temperarure drops about 2 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 6:16pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hi Rusky

Do you realise that are half a dozen or more rivers you can fish within 30 minutes drive or less from Auckland ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 8:17pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NahShocked!! do tell bazza.  Give me a PM if you wanna keep it under wraps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 9:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

NahShocked!! do tell bazza.  Give me a PM if you wanna keep it under wraps?

No problem Adam, have replied to you pm with details & would be pleased to do so
for anyone else that asks.

Good luck

Cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 6:49pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Do you realise that are half a dozen or more rivers you can fish within
30 minutes drive or less from Auckland ?
................................................................................................................................................

Re the above post :-

To all those who pm'd me for info re these rivers, I must apologise for
playing a rather sick joke.

You may notice in the original post it states there are 1/2 doz or more rivers
that you can fish within 30 mins drive of Auckland.

This of course is quite true, you are totally free to fish them, providing you do
not expect to catch anything such thing as a trout.

Once again, my apologies to all, nevertheless I wish the fish were as easy
to "catch" as ever hopefull fishers!

Cheers

Hmn something tells me I had best keep a fairly low profile after that stunt!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 9:40pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sick man bazza! LOL
Page  <1 34567 14>