Lake PUPUKE

Page  <12345 14>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 9:16pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rusky and I were there today and got 3.
Can't say Im a fan, I hadnt caught a trout for 8 years and man I had forgotten how pussy they fight! I was using 4 pound mainline and the trout I caught didnt even pull string. It would have been 1.5kg and a kahawai of similar size would have kept me entertained for ages, I pretty much skull dragged it in.
Boring!!
Had heaps of them rising all round, at one point 3 were rising at the same time, probably could have caught more if I wasnt such a crap angler!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 9:27pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh yeah and saw 2 BIG fat koi in the shallows.... might be time to take the speargun for a freshwater adventure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 7:39pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good to see that all of you have great fishing at the lake.
Everyone using different bait or tachnique, Great.

I will try to do bit of jigging.Will see.

Still trying to get some of the snaild for my pond.

Cant reach them in deep water.

This week I will try to get there . If you see me say hello.
:-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 9:56pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Put a mask on and go get them Stika! Wink

And how will we know if its you or not? Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 9:14am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

Rusky and I were there today and got 3.
Can't say Im a fan, I hadnt caught a trout for 8 years and man I had forgotten how pussy they fight! I was using 4 pound mainline and the trout I caught didnt even pull string. It would have been 1.5kg and a kahawai of similar size would have kept me entertained for ages, I pretty much skull dragged it in.
Boring!!
Had heaps of them rising all round, at one point 3 were rising at the same time, probably could have caught more if I wasnt such a crap angler!

Hi Herby & Rusky

Congratulations to you both. Can I ask if you were flyfishing or spinning?

If flyfishing what fly did they take & what time of day please?

I can partly empathise with your comments re fighting ability Herby. Pound for pound salt water sportfish have always out performed trout in this regard. However it seems to particulary apply in the case of hatchery reared stock fish i.e. put & take fisheries as they generally lack the survival instincts of wild fish.

Another aspect I have noticed with Pupuke trout is that when hooked they often have a tendency to run straight towards you, requiring frenetic stripping of line, then put up their fight close in.

Having said that I have had a few, but not that many put up strong resistance from being hooked, take line & continually leap.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 6:50pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We were lazy Bazza and baited with bread. 

Yep had one come screaming towards us, thought I had lost it but was just a matter of retrieving the slack line.

Had my 2 trout last night smoked, beauuutiful!!!  However  the bones mid body annoyed me a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 8:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

We were lazy Bazza and baited with bread. 

Yep had one come screaming towards us, thought I had lost it but was just a matter of retrieving the slack line.

Had my 2 trout last night smoked, beauuutiful!!!  However  the bones mid body annoyed me a bit.

Hi Rusky

I will let you into a secret, providing you do not tell anyone, I used bread today for the very first time!

I tried a nymph on a floating line again at first with nill result. Switched to a fast sinking flyline with a bread imitation fly I had tied but found the line was sinking into the weed. Did not feel any "takes" altho suspect had there been any, they probably would not have been felt, with the heavy sinking line dragging thru the weed.

So back to a floating line once more, about the same time Miha (spelling?) arrived & he suggested a fly & bread / combo, rig. This worked a treat accounting for half or dozen or so trout landed & many more missed.

I was missing them by instinctively striking far too soon as is done when nymphing.

Having proven that setup was working, switched back again to a double artificial fly nymph to see if it would work this time, as it had very effectively in the past, but not recently.

Was gratified to land a couple more on this rig, so my confidence has now been restored in that direction.

Like yourself Rusky, I dislike the bones in fish, the main bone structure & belly bones can be filleted out easy enough, but as you say, this still leaves those annoying "pin" bones on each side. It is a bit tedious, but it is possible to remove these as well, by locating them by running a finger over then pulling them out with long nosed pliers.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 8:21am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bad day of fishing for me yestrday . They were noy at the bottom. But great fishing last night. Silvia Park is the way to go. Is anyone fishing there? Looks like not as there is lots of fish there. My first Koi about 3 kg. Nice fight.
And exccelent Snappa bait.

Ruski. Im easy to spot.

Usualy pulling out lots of fish . Hehehehe No siriously.
Usualy blue hoody and gumbootd

See you there guys

TCool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 8:32am
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone tried the styx yet.

Between Silvia park and the primary school About 50m off shore. Some of the best habitat on the whole lake.

Just not so many toddlers feeding the ducks with bread
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 12:50pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think what I may try doing bazza in the future is having a mate floating his rig out with bread, and as they come to rise and take any bread floating around, cast a fly with a fly rod and see if they take the bait.  More sight casting then anything else.

Whats the styx herring?

How big was the Koi?
Stika, ill make sure to say hello if i see you their one day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 2:54pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Koi around 3kg. Not bad fish. Great snappa bait.
Snappa will be bating soon on the beaches. And Carp is great bait.

Now I like to catch Rudd and Tench. Just for an experience.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 7:56am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Excellent fun yestrday.
I used spinner and had a great time. The fish was biting hard. From 1pm till 4pm got 22 trout. All under size. Just a little fish but lots of them. Used little rod so it was great feeling.
At the end I used bait got 2 Eals. Large ones.
Im sure that tonight will be great night.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 7:20pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Stika Stika wrote:

Excellent fun yestrday.
I used spinner and had a great time. The fish was biting hard. From 1pm till 4pm got 22 trout. All under size. Just a little fish but lots of them. Used little rod so it was great feeling.
At the end I used bait got 2 Eals. Large ones.
Im sure that tonight will be great night.

Wow! that is certainly full on fishing Stika, 22 fish in three hours is an average of one fish every 8 1/2 minutes, casting, unhooking, etc. included.

I had a much quieter day there today (Fri) spending quite a few hours for a total of only two fish landed & three lost for various reasons, including unforgivable poor knots.

Perhaps one consolation was that other anglers there were having a similary quiet time.

One worthwhile aspect of an otherwise fairly uneventful day was that one of the fish landed gave the best fight I have had to date, from a fish out of Pupuke. It was not a large fish by any means, probably about 2 lbs. or so, yet pulled line, leapt a couple of times, refusing to give up, diving for the depths repeatedly. Naturally it was released, so hopefully anyone catching it again will do likewise, having enjoyed catching such a hard fighting fish.

Cheers.

P.S Anyone know how Pupuke fishes, once the weather starts to warm up, as it will do shortly?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 7:24pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would only assume that the majority of them go deep.

However, I have seen them in summer in the shallows, so not much will change hopefully.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 8:04pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bazza - Yep I know how it fishes once the weather improves
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 7:13pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Summer is Ocean fisshing time for me. So I dont know haw the lake fishes.
I fished on friday night and got 2 large ells. So nathink interesting then. I still think that the fish coming in waves.

Hopefully see you at the lake this week.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 10:06am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Took my 7 yo grandson to Pupuke yesterday, his first time trout fishing.

I was not that hopeful he would catch anyting on his first ever excursion, however he landed his first ever trout I lost another. Meanwhile I caught zilch & not for the want of trying either.

My excuse was that it was the day after the eclipse of the moon.

Nevertheless was far greater "buzz" seeing my G/S catch his first freshwater fish, & then see how totally "wrapped" he was . He did not want to stop fishing & would be still there, had I not finally insisted, an attitude most of can no doubt empathise with.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 10:14am
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome bazza.  I didnt get my first trout until I was 16.

Was contemplating going for a fish today, but the wind looks too strong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2007 at 6:44pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

Awesome bazza.  I didnt get my first trout until I was 16.

Was contemplating going for a fish today, but the wind looks too strong.

You were wise to stay away Rusky, I fished in a howling/gusty
Sou Westerly for several hours for a total of one fish.

Still should be grateful I guess as that was one more than yesterday.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 11:28am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well me night of fishing ( Friday night at Pumphouse jetty) Finished with One big one about 10kg Swan that stupid bird tangl up in my line. After that 2 hr of fishing and NIL. Not even bite. On the way to the car I seen 2 fish in the weeds. Look like carp but the original carp ( Brown/green)  Not sure what that was. Torch was little bit to soft on light.

Why they stop biting. ?? Who knows?

Will see next week. I want to get at least 3 fish to be smoked. in my new smoker.

Page  <12345 14>