Lake PUPUKE

Page  <1234 14>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 1:31pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any fly fishing go on there at night with night flys, so whats the best method??? what is the average size 3lb\???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 2:04pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive tried night fishing with flys, too much of a hastle not know where your line is landing etc.  Baited hooks with bread sounds the go.

Stika, the snails I have seen are infront of the Pump House.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 7:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Fished Pupuke this afternoon (15th Aug.) in atrocious conditions for fly fishing & yes I "blanked", now here are my excuses! .............

Firstly the wind was a howling Easterly, so the old adage of "When the fishing is from the East the fishing is the least" held true this afternoon.

O.K. so the wind direction prevented me from fishing my prefered locations but I had come prepared ( Oh the shame of these confessions ) with bread & worms as well as flies, to cover all contigencies in the face of the expected wind conditions.

However despite exhaustive efforts, from various localities never managed to land a fish,altho I think I may have had one on briefly from the Pumphouse Jetty, in between  dive class lessons being conducted from the jetty area.

So this begs the question :- As this is the second session I have blanked, after averaging 3 or more per session fly fishing, has the fishing in Pupuke "gone off", or as can only be expected given the "harvest" rate, have the fish simply been reduced in catchable numbers?

If reduced population thru overcatch is the answer, then maybe this lends weight towards tighter regulations & enforcement to preserve an otherwise unique "virtually in the centre of the city" sports fishery.

BTW much mention has been made of tench, carp, rudd, along with other coarse fish being present, yet I have only ever caught rainbows despite having no wish to catch or land any of the afforementioned. However if they are as prolific as generally surmised, then I am rather puzzled as to why I have not hooked the occasional one or two. Having said that, on several occasions have experienced a definite "take" that has not resulted in a firmly hooked fish, which I can but wonder if it was one of the above.

Cheers Bazza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 7:45pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

any fly fishing go on there at night with night flys, so whats the best method??? what is the average size 3lb\???

Average size in my experience Saltiga would be 21/2 to 3 lbs, my best being about 4lbs, but I firmly believe larger fish do exist.

Usually night fishing produces the larger fish as they only become large by not being easy targets but tend to lose a degree of caution once darkness falls.

This was the proven theory anyway that generally tends to work elsewhere, until a buddy & myself tried it out at Pupuke for a combined nill result.

Despite this experience, I am still convinced it should work & if anyone is interested am keen to give it another shot.

Cheers Bazza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 8:09pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i would be keen to go down one night with someone, i fish the tongariro a bit but keen to give this ago
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 9:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

i would be keen to go down one night with someone, i fish the tongariro a bit but keen to give this ago

O.K. you are on, keep in touch, I would suggest sometime just before the new moon when the nights should be at their darkest.

Cheers Bazza

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 9:11pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bazza, ive failed twice now to catch a trout.  They are their, trust me Ive dived 3/4 of that lake and seen some good size ones, and that was before they introduced the 1000 fish. Havent dived it since.

If you do go for a walk along the rowing club at night, you will see goldfish, possibly a carp, tench to good sizes, millions of eels, and of coarse perch in the shallows.

Only way I find how to catch perch is on live wriggling worms, but dead ones are fine.

One still night me and my mate will venture back to these parts in the hope of catching a trout and maybe some perch for fun.

Carp in Pupuke are rare, but anyones left remaining (after me & blair have speared most of them) are to good sizes of around 5-6kg.

Saltiga, I could be keen to join you, but no bugger all about catching them except on fly in rivers. Night fishing with a fly was impossible for me.  Bread baits would be my only method to use!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 8:19am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Pump house jetty is going off at the moment. Fished the last night and got 2 nice trout.
They were about 1 kg. Let them go and hoped for some diferent fish.

The fact is that fish like Rudd Tanch and Carp need to have warmer water. So hope that summer will be better.
There are fisherman that taking lots of trout and under size mainly. Using hand lines and so on. This will be a problem as the lake gets overfished.
Watch for the asian fisherman! As we are fisherman that want to fish the lake in long tearm  we should pull together. And if we do see this make sure that we let them know that this is wrong.
Any comments?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:29am
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

AGREE THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH COASTWATCH TO SEE WHAT THEY GET UP TOO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:38am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The problem is that we as a fisherman come to the lake / beach/ rocks .... and just watching them do this sort of thinks. I think we need to take action when needed. Personaly I told some of them to let some fish go. As say Snappa 10cm was going to get killed.

The Lake is no ecception.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:42am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Snails>
Can someone tel me where the snails are? What sort of places they are hiding at?
Are they close to the bank? .... If you know please let me know.

Thank you

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 7:21pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

bazza, ive failed twice now to catch a trout.  They are their, trust me Ive dived 3/4 of that lake and seen some good size ones, and that was before they introduced the 1000 fish. Havent dived it since.

If you do go for a walk along the rowing club at night, you will see goldfish, possibly a carp, tench to good sizes, millions of eels, and of coarse perch in the shallows.

Only way I find how to catch perch is on live wriggling worms, but dead ones are fine.

One still night me and my mate will venture back to these parts in the hope of catching a trout and maybe some perch for fun.

Carp in Pupuke are rare, but anyones left remaining (after me & blair have speared most of them) are to good sizes of around 5-6kg.

Saltiga, I could be keen to join you, but no bugger all about catching them except on fly in rivers. Night fishing with a fly was impossible for me.  Bread baits would be my only method to use!

Hi Rusky
Flycasting at night should not be a problem, providing there are no obstacles to get tangled in.

In fact, if your casting techinique is basically sound, it should in actual fact, be easier than daytime casting.

I trust that statement does not sound supersilious or critical, please allow me to explain why I believe this to be so.

I must say, before I had tried night fishing I was very apprehensive, as I was having enough problems casting in the daylight. However I found when casting at night, one begins to rely more on sound & feel, unlike daylight casting where sight tends to be the main criteria. I find when trying to rely on sight, we invariably tend to over reach in all directions in the quest for increased performance, but only result in making things more difficult. Consequently we then try to compensate by over powering, stuffing up much of the gentle efficient action a fly rod should impart.

Try casting on a clear quiet grassy area, then try closing your eyes for awhile whilst casting, relying on sound & feel. I will be surprised if your "blind" casting after awhile does not exceed the distance of your sighted casting & require far less effort. Attach a fly to a your usual length of leader, so you are simulating normal fishing conditions, but make sure you remove the curved part of the hook, so you do not risk hooking anyone also prevents snagging when retrieving line back along the grass.

Cheers Bazza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 7:22pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stika, good on you for telling them to put them back, its not like we go hungry in this country!

You've got is sussed out stika by sounds of things, youve caught more trout than anyone else I know from pupuke.  How long do you wait before you get a trout normally?  Were you fishing the bottom again with bread?

With regards to the snails, they are not close to the banks, only on the long green kelp strands you see infront of the pump house in a few metres of water.  If you can manage to grab the top end of one of these kelps and pull it out of the water, you may find some snails on the root ends of it.  However, they are from my memory too small to put on a hook, but yet again there could be some bigger ones. 

This is a carp I saw infront of the pump house.  If you look carefully you will see a snail in the middle to the left on one of these kelp stalks, and a few others around.  You will see more snails further down the stalk to the lake bed!  Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 7:37pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I understand fully bazza about the feel of casting rather than the actual sighting of where it is you are casting too.  I was casting no problems the other night, only problem was that I wouldnt know how to present my fly or what type I should use.  Any pics or examples would greatly be appreciated.   I soon grew bored and came to the conclusion that it wasnt working.   Places I want to try is of the aftificial pontoon wharf to the right of the rowing club, and straight in front of the rowing club facing east.  These places allow maximum back casting with no obstacles in the way.

What gets me is how can a trout see a fly at night time?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 7:50pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

I understand fully bazza about the feel of casting rather than the actual sighting of where it is you are casting too.  I was casting no problems the other night, only problem was that I wouldnt know how to present my fly or what type I should use.  Any pics or examples would greatly be appreciated.   I soon grew bored and came to the conclusion that it wasnt working.   Places I want to try is of the aftificial pontoon wharf to the right of the rowing club, and straight in front of the rowing club facing east.  These places allow maximum back casting with no obstacles in the way.

What gets me is how can a trout see a fly at night time?

If you would like to join me sometime Rusky I may be able to give you a few pointers. However so saying, I have blanked a couple of times recently so maybe the reverse may prove to be the case.

Regards trout seeing at night, it is rather interesting that at a certain time after sunset their entire eye structure alters to create night vision, then changes back again at sunrise. For a short while during this transition they are actually blind. I am not sure if this happens at exactly the same time for all the fish or it is staggered, however it is often reckoned it the reason night fishing goes quiet for a time, then activity resumes later.

Probably only the fish know the real answer.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 7:54pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Blind fish lol!  Well I've learnt something entirely new now.

Gives a PM when your going out next and Ill join you if im not busy.  Will be a while yet with this horrible weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 8:00am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Rusky

Like i was talking about erlier. Every day is diferent and I try all diferent things. Mostly there is fish if there is birds around. And i think that the big ones are in deep water.
Sometime I wait 30min but from then is going off for whille.
Thanks for the snail kinfo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 9:00am
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Last night fishing. Poor outcome. Try 4 different ways to fish and only one seccesfull was fload.
Got 4 little (10cm) Perch on worms
Trout come in numbers but only little ones.

Conditions were calm and this is for sure factor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 9:09am
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool Stika.  Was going to go for a night fish their, but didnt get around to it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 9:48am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I fished Pupuke yesterday (Friday) as well Stika.

I had only two "takes"  but landed no fish.

I know I could have been far more successful had I chosen to use worms or bread on a spinning rig however it is a personal preference for myself catch by flyfishing instead & solely for trout.

The flyfishing techinique I have used with a very impressive
catch rate earlier on, no longer seems to be working.

I know the trout are still there, altho I did not land any yesterday
I learnt a lot about what is required to do so.

It now merely remains to figure out how to present a suitable fly, under the changed conditions. I have in mind a couple of ideas that may "tip the balance" in my favour once more, only remains to experiment in order to prove or disprove their effectiveness.

The amazing thing about fishing I find, is no matter how many years one has been involved or how many fish one has caught, the learning process is never ending. Probably what keeps us interested, for if we could predict the end result of each excursion, we probably would soon no longer bother. I suspect it is largely the unknown factor, coupled with the learning process, that is the driving force that transforms an interest
into a passion.

Cheers

Page  <1234 14>