Lake PUPUKE

Page  123 14>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake PUPUKE
    Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 10:20pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any Information about the lake fish and is the fishing good?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 10:22pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes the fishing can be worth a afternoon or 2 on the water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 12:36pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What is working for local fish? Does not have to be trout. All spicies. Any information?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 12:51pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

All information wellcomed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:43pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last time I was here, I saw a good size rainbow along the banks margin.

Ive used a spinner here a few times but had no luck so far.  I was using one of those Rapala small lures (needle sharp they are) and look great in the water, only problem was that the lure kept on getting tangled with the mainline when casted out.  Anyone got suggestions on how to fix this?

Might just use the old classic lures that have bee patterns on them etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:50pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Guess u need to use lighter line. Braded line is good go. Do you know what size Rudd and tench is there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:54pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone try a Bait fishing in the lake? If so what sort of bait? and rig?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 2:17pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use 4lb line so its not the line issue thats causing the problem.

Ive done a bit of dive training in pupuke and have seen no rudd, but have heard of some being caught.  Tench are to good sizes in there!

Ive seen a guy baiting bread balls under a float of the jetty at the Rowing club.  Think he is a regular because he has caught them before when we asked him.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 2:21pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sounds good. I think that its time for me to have a go. I heard about some gig fish. But never seen one. So best think to do is to try get one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 4:14pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Stika

Bread is a fairly reliable method of hooking those trout

I like around the milford primary school area

If you have a boat then jig between the ramp and school in the sticks area

Use a spotty gold cobra and jig this up and down in the weed beds. There are big pockets between the weed everywhere - which makes spinning less effective.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 7:45pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Herring. This is great info. Thank you for that. Will try next week. The post some results.
Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2007 at 4:02pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well I have try to fish the lake. 2 Rainbow trout and 1 Tench. This is great place to fish. For sure you should go and try. I fished after dark and was busy with bites. If you go there i do have some info . Plus it will be great to pick some rubish that is all over the place. Sad site to see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2007 at 6:20pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know what you mean about the rubbish, especially around the rowing club area.  So you got 2 rainbow and 1 tench aye, good on you!

Where did you try and what did you use to catch them?  Were the rainbows legal?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2007 at 6:42pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I used bread and bugs. It worked well. Just sinker and small huck. One of the trout 25cm so he finished back in the lake but the 2nd one 36cm and that one finished on the table. The Tench just little one. So let that one go as well.
I do like the place and some fisherman there told me that there are large Tench, Rudd and Perch there. So maybe I get one of them.
At the same time get some rubbish kleen out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2007 at 8:49pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hi

For more info related to this topic, see the other freshwater section i.e.
Freshwater Fission, under the post "How many hooks?"

Cheers Bazza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 8:18pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

One puzzle to myself is what the trout in Pupuke feed on, other than worms or surplus sunken bread fed to the ducks, swans etc.

After examining the stomach contents of well over a dozen or so rainbows I have not been able to readily identify any particular natural food source.

They invariably seem to be well conditioned fish, but the stomach contents mostly consist of what appears to be weed. Consequently I can only conclude that some type of minute invertabrate or suchlike exists on the weed.

The only thing I have been able to identify so far was one fish that had a short length of white plastic tape & another that was chocker full of large corn kernels, no doubt that someone had been using as groundbait.

I have yet to catch a fish from Pupuke that has red or orange flesh which normally indicates they have been feeding on koura or to a lesser extent
freshwater snails, so presumably neither, feature in their diet.

However whatever it is they feed on, I have, quite frankly found despite their apparent healthy looking condition, they are not the greatest eating fish, better suited to smoking I find.

I catch my fish on a nymph, others on a woolly bugger, the latter usually represents a freshwater crayfish or a small fish, yet none of these have been apparent in the stomach contents examined.

Anyone else have any thoughts to add, for or against the suppositions stated, I would be pleased to hear from you.

Cheers Bazza

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 8:32pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The lake is chocka full of snails on the tall kelp strands.  This could be part of their diet.  Other things could be just insects and small fish.

What condition are the fish in Bazza when you caught them?  Fat or skinny?

Next time I go for a dive in their, Ill have a look for koura under logs to see if any are present.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 8:43pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

The lake is chocka full of snails on the tall kelp strands.  This could be part of their diet.  Other things could be just insects and small fish.

What condition are the fish in Bazza when you caught them?  Fat or skinny?

Next time I go for a dive in their, Ill have a look for koura under logs to see if any are present.

Hi Rusky

Thanks for your reply, as stated all the fish I have caught have been well conditioned, therefore fat rather than skinny, so they are obviously not going short of food.

One would expect koura would exist there, if so they normally would be preferentially targeted by trout, which would colour their flesh & normally residual shell etc. apparent in stomach contents, likewise with reasonably sized snails.

One question for Stika please ........ If you were fishing after dark, how did you detect the takes?

Also does anyone know where the outflow to Pupuke is, presumably it has one, most likely on the Eastern side to the sea, if so it must flow under the main road between Milford & Takapuna.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 11:01pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There is a outflow and it is going the direction that you sugested. But the chanel is underground. I talked to diverrs and they planing a expedition to go thru/
I fished tonight 4 Rainbow (large ones)

I fish the bottm and have my line stretched. so there i feel every touch

The food
Well I think that the fish is mostly vegetarian. They do have belly full of weeds. There is no sighn of any kinde of insect or fish. The main part is that the lake is full of swons and water birds. They are geting lots of bread every day. I think that the fish is used to this and this will be the main source of food. I have failed to see anu snails yet.
I checked the weed and inder rocks no sighn of snails or any life at all.
There was some fisherman there tonight but all of them use a float. No good. All the fish that they get has been to small.  I am interested to catch RUDD Or TENCH. This is geting dificult. Who know haw to get them?>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 1:27pm
Stika View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fishing Report

Lake is very productive. The trick is to try different things. It seams that every day is different. Lots of Trout near the surface. Easy to catch them on slow sinking bait. Big Trout more near the bottem. Last night 2 little Perch on worms.
I think if you working with the wind and the way the water goes you will be very seccesfull.

Still did not get Tench or Rudd. Also have not seen any snails.
\Lots of fisherman trying to get rid of the birds. I think that this is bad move. let them be neer as they bring the attention of the fish.. Where there are birds feeding ,there is food. Fish will come neer.

What do you think?

Page  123 14>