Lake PUPUKE

Page  <1 11121314>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 7:41pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's cool. Good to see that the release has been good! 
I'm going tomorrow morning to give my new rod a cast. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:42pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The annual comp at Lake Pupuke was today just after the annual release of rainbows and browns earlier in the week.
I tried at Sylvan park at first light and lunchtime with no luck on boobies, wooly buggers , glow bugs fished on floating, sink tip and shooting head. A couple were lost and one caught spinning next to me.
The boat fisherman cleaned up , comparitively with about 20 caught that I could see with the weigh in nearly finished.
Leading rainbow was about 980gr.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 9:56pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had been practicing my fly casting in the lake recently not so hoping to catch anything but luckily enough I caught one. Took a parachute dry fly!!

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:49am
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hooked and landed about 3 on the dry fly the other evening. good rises lately with heaps of insects in the water hatching. good fun. very impressed with the sizes of fish released by F&G. Also have to hook one of those elusive Lake pupuke browns.

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:19am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just to let everyone know. The annual Lake Pupuke Challenge is taking place this Sunday the 3rd of May.
This is a friendly, no entry fee fishing competition that the North Shore Flyfishers Club organises every year in an effort to promote Lake Pupuke as a fishing resource and also to encourage new people into the sport.
All legal methods are acceptable. No Entry Fee. You do need a licence, which I think is free for Children under 11 years old on the 1/10/2014. Weigh in is 3pm at Sylvan Park near the Toilet Block. (The details of all  fish weighed are sent through to Auckland / Waikato Fish and Game.)
So if you feel like a few lazy hours down at the local Lake or you want to introduce the kids to freshwater fishing why not come along?

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:36pm
tricat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how did it go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:26am
Silver
Silver

Yeah, it went well.
Overcast day but with very little wind.
Not as many kids this year as there was last year but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
Best results were for those out in boats of one type or another, although casting from the shore still produced fish, just not as many.
A real mix of Fly-fishing, Harling, Trolling, Spinning, and Bait fishing.
Best Trout landed were around the 2.5pd mark (all Rainbows, no Browns) and best Perch was 3pd.
Good to see the Lake being utilised.
Pic below is of Barrie, one of our NSFF Club guys out in his foldaway boat.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 3:59pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bazza Barnes !!

good to see him out there.
Awful salt water fisherman tho :P

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 7:08pm
tricat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

3lb? that's a good perch!
where are the best spots to try spinning from?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 3:10pm
Silver
Silver

Generally I will go one of four spots depending on the wind and the number of people using the lake.
1) The Rocky point at Sylvan Park
2) The Pump-house Wharf
3) The gap between the old Quarry and the Lake, between the Canoe Club and the Hospital.
4) The Hospital Wharf

Heaps of other little out of the way spots but they are the easiest to access.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 4:42pm
tricat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndyK-22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:29am
AndyK-22 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice here if you could be so kind to give it. 
I haven't been freshwater fishing since growing up as a kid in Rotorua, since then we moved to Auckland and its been predominately Saltwater based. However, not having a boat and a bit of flexibility with work may mean I can get a few casts in regularly at this local lake. Naturally however, I have a few questions.

- What are the best/most productive methods you find? Spinning, fly, bait?
- Any particular locations to try?
- Are any times of day or year better suited?
- What setups/gear are you using? braided line or mono (what weight)?

Any thing else you think would be useful.

Much appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote james dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 10:25pm
james dean View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

where should I go to get a fresh water license?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote james dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 10:29pm
Bronze
Bronze

is fresh water fishing worth it?

I meant no offence but how big are the fish the got........oh lets say lake pupuke.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:07pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Living in NZ and your asking if the freshwater fishing is worth it? Isn't that a bit like living in Whistler and asking if this sking thing is any good?

Seriously bro, your living in possiblity the best country in the world for trout fishing! If it's not worth trying here then maybe computer games are more your thing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote james dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 1:26pm
Bronze
Bronze

yeah about that.............

I'm not living in NZ.

just how big can those trout get?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote james dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 3:01am
Bronze
Bronze

again i'll ask where can I get my fresh water fishing pass
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 5:58am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

One of the larger tackle outlets should have them. Rod and Reel in Newmarket or Hunts Sports Store in Forrest Hill over the shore would be the two places I would try.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:40am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 12:25pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Was at Lake Pupuke this morning & was surprised to see that the hospital jetty has been closed off for public access by means of a steel mesh barrier cage arrangement with a locked gate !

Looks as tho it has been for awhile.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Page  <1 11121314>