Lake PUPUKE

Page  <1 1011121314>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:59am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just to let everyone out there know, the Pupuke Challenge Fishing Competetion is comming up.

This is a friendly, no entry fee comp, and whilst there are some cool prizes it is really all about       A) getting more kids involved in fishing, and B) reminding people what a great fishing resource is available right in the heart of Auckland.

It is happening on Sunday 6th May. Weigh in at 3.30pm in Sylvan Park. The Comp is run by the North Shore Flyfishers Club and Trout Unlimited.

There are prizes for biggest Trout overall, Kids biggest Trout, and biggest Coarse fish.

So if you have a few hours spare why not drop down, alone or with the family, and have a bit of a fish. You never no, you just might win.

(For the full details have a look at the North Shore Clubs website and check it out in the April Newsletter.) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:02am
Silver
Silver

Sorry, website adress is http://www.nsff.org.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 3:09pm
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats great but did no one work out its duckshooting that weekend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoorMANfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 11:14pm
PoorMANfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bump lol.
Hi.
I recently inherited my late poppas spinning gear and 1 of his fly rods, so i have been thinking about getting my 5 year old into fishing freshwater so he can inherit them from me.
I am thinking about getting a 24hour license and trying Pupuke because its semi close and if i consider the amount i would spend on bait burley and gas 4 saltwater fishing its cheaper.
But,
Has anybody fished there recently? I read most of this thread before i noticed the dates.I was planning on getting some worms and bread 4 my boy and trying out the spinners myself.
Whats a good spinner to use? I have a few and i will just google image search whatever you recommend.
Thanks 4 any advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoorMANfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 11:17pm
PoorMANfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If anybody can find anything on this fly rod id appreciate a link. i cant find any info on it..C farlow & co "the brunswick". Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:44am
Silver
Silver

For flies you can't go past the green wooly bugger with a red head.

For spinners, I have always used a black and gold Toby 7 or 10 grams, I have heard that the small rapalas can be really good to, but I am not a big spin fisher.

Some of the other guys, like Dundee seem to spin a fair bit and will know a lot more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 9:06am
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just tie a bit of bread about 1m under a float and cast out at the wharf in front of the hospital.  Feed the ducks with bits of bread floating around and the trout will come in and start feeding.  Good fun and easy to do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 8:28am
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wheres the best place to fish at this time of year on the lake? floating or sinking and would you still suggest green wooley buggers?

Thanks Rob
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 9:35am
Silver
Silver

Best places to fish at present, especially with the rain, would be the Pumphouse wharf or the Hospital Wharf. Other good places are Sylvan Park, where the fish are released each year, (if the Windsurfing school is not too busy), and the gap between the Quarry and the Lake beside the Kayak / Canoeing Club.

At this time of year, floating or sinking tip lines for me. And the Wooly Bugga works all year round, but if you are fishing off the Wharfs and there has been rain then try a Black and Peacock on a short dropper as a snail imitation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 2:05pm
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks very much for your help will give it a try this weekend coming up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 6:44pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone given the lake a try recently? 
Exams are finished and I'm very keen to try my luck and get my first fly fished trout. 

Cheers
Dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 7:11pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Jump in a car and drive south for at least 3 hours.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 3:14pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

keen to have a crack here what would the best time to have a go? also spinning or bait?

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 3:32pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by C A C A wrote:

keen to have a crack here what would the best time to have a go? also spinning or bait?

cheers

Should fish well from now onwards & all methods work but probably bait ie bread dough or worm are the most productive. Unless you hve a non powered smal boat or kayak then access pretty well limited to 5 or six spots all of which have received mention.

Do not expect very exciting or stimulating fishing tho if you have been used to Hawkes Bay rivers & streams. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:15pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fishing is fishing bazza, i havent been out for weeks ow, salt or fresh so i need to get out there asap LOL

just moved to auckland so trying to suss out some spots, cheers for the advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 7:54am
Silver
Silver

With the water as warm as it is the best time to hit it at the moment would be dawn.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:28am
Silver
Silver

Just to let everyone out there know, the Pupuke Challenge Fishing Competetion is comming up again.

This is a friendly, no entry fee comp, and whilst there are some cool prizes it is really all about       A) getting more kids involved in fishing, and B) reminding people what a great fishing resource is available right in the heart of Auckland.

It is happening on Sunday 5th May. Weigh in at 3.30pm in Sylvan Park. The Comp is run by the North Shore Flyfishers Club and Trout Unlimited.

There are prizes for biggest Trout overall, Kids biggest Trout, and biggest Coarse fish.

It is a very relaxed Comp, so if you have an hour or two to spare (and haven't gone Duck Shooting) why not drop down, alone or with the family, and have a bit of a fish. You never no, you just catch dinner.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:24pm
MS79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I fished at Sylvan Park this morning. Caught a 2lb Rainbow Trout on a black & gold Toby at about 7am. I lost one about the same size @ 630am. I met a guy called Robert, he caught a nice Perch probably about 2lb. We were both fishing off the rock spit in the middle of the carpark 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 5:04pm
MS79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Rainbow Trout I caught this am measured 41.5 cm. I'm about to fillet it for dinner.
I'll use the frame & scraps for burley & bait when I go surfcasting @ Eastern or Bucklands Beach this evening.
Sorry about the poor quality picture, I had to use my crappy phone. My camera shots exceeded the 4.0mb limit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 6:30pm
MS79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished at Sylvan Park this arvo & caught this 32cm Rainbow Trout. I caught it on my first cast with a silver Mepps spinner. A guy fishing next to me caught a Perch approx. 4lb on a softbait
Page  <1 1011121314>