OPening hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bjocque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OPening hooks
    Posted: 15 Sep 2002 at 7:16pm
Bjocque View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

and keen to change my jigs to singles and run into a few questions? been told use straight hooks and the ones i can find are o'shaunessy's - Mark kitteridge recommends chucking in a swivel between the hook and the jig body - how the hell does he get them in there without effing the hook - 3 down before i said i aint doing it right - Sam Mossman doesn't use em i see - am using grim reaper 80 - 100g jigs - why the hell don't gr just manufacture them in singles as well

any ideas on hook brands/models/size would be greatly appreciated and hints on opening hook lugs(?) with out rooting them (been trying with side cutters/pliers but keep snapping them)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2002 at 12:46am
Master Jig Builder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There are only a few brands of hooks that come opened for you. Trying to open (already closed) hook eyes only weakens the ring eye and runs the risk of loosing bigger fish IMO.

Much easier to purchase jigs with single hooks in them already and without split rings. Swivels are not essential if the jig or lure is made well and has enough rotation in the hook eye at the point of attachment to the jig, like these below:

http://www.outdoorcart.com/demon/rclure.htm

If you get stuck looking for jigs made up like this, then drop me a note and we can help you out. We put Maruto light game SS hooks into our 70 or 90 gm jigs and you can scent them as well. The are called RC Lures.

What species do you fish for mainly?
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bjocque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2002 at 7:54pm
Bjocque View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers for reply, have since "managed" what i was trying to achieve using black magic 4/0 and 6/0 jig hooks - however;

do like the look of the jig etc at the site you linked and am interested in what you would reccommend for snapper and kingfish as well (both surface (poppers??) and sub-surface (jigs))

cheers <SCRIPT> window.open=NS_ActualOpen; orig_onload = window.onload; orig_onunload = window.onunload; window.onload = noopen_load; window.onunload = noopen_unload;

FREEEEEEEEEEEE DOM; bugga, now i gotta get a job, anybody wanna pay me to go fishing lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2002 at 8:23pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

another way to atach a hook with a swivel with out bending the eye of one is to use small fishing split rings one on each side of the swivel allowing easy atachment. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 9:46am
Master Jig Builder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bjocque these RC's are a sub surface jig. Some anglers over here in Oz, plus in other places, either scent the back end of the jig and/or put a small strip of squid on to the rear hook for Snapper, Pearl Perch and Kings.

Many US anglers fish their casting or vertical jigs ( irons as they call them) with single hooks and often use a round, HD, ring between the jig and the single hook. Then they weld the opening closed with bronze.

First_Watch and HD (here on the board) can tell you much more about that if interested.

We prefer to put the hook on direct so anglers don't have to muck around and then try and change from a treble to a single after the jig has been bought.

Personally I hate split rings or swivels off the end because they are often the weakest link between the jig and the hook. So the more direct the connection between the two, the happier I am.

Do you do any trolling for Kings as well or do you target them mostly from land? I hear there are some hot land based spots to work from.

I have never used surface poppers on snapper so I will have leave that up to others to comment on.
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz