Ramp And Water Access Data Base

Page  <1234 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2007 at 9:49pm
rocko View Drop Down

Thanks for thatThumbs%20Up theres a couple of ramps over here like that,( Matakawau being 1,)shortish and low,tho it does go out a long way,@ low tide it drops off the end like yours thens its mud/beach time.

Ive got 4X4 so thats not a issue, so real that ramp would be more suitable for 1/2 tide aether side still allowing for at least 4-5hrs on the water?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loryda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2007 at 10:16pm
loryda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

rocko - Not a problem, yeah a 4x4 would be sweet on the beach, I've used my 2wd quad once to pull the trailer closer (still don't have a jockey wheel myself haha) which was solid on the mud so your 4wd would be kosher.

But yeah 1/2 tide not a problem, only 4-5 hours out on the water could be difficult, i never make it back when i say i should. LOL 

"last cast guys, no honestly, really last cast, ok, this time, last casts guys.."

But i guess if you had to come back.. yeah it shouldnt be a problem Wink
"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."

-Bill Hicks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 4:58am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oh well after typing out a massive page of instructions on how to use our area Ive decided against posting it as I firmly believe it will put more people in the **** who attempt to use it with the instuctions I'd written. Its a really small place and there isn't always locals or help at hand.

If you think my attituide stinks fair enough I'd rather that then be Mr.right I told you so and watch you guys wreck ya boats and lose ya utes to the rocks in the channel and the high tide. I have seen a row of 3 tractors all chained to each other attempting to pull out a blokes 4 wheel drive who got it wrong.

It is a good idea though, I just hoped to describe some of the reasons you wont have everybody coming forth nominating their local launching areas for public information.

Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 6:22am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your attitude dont stink plow...any advice is good advice
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 9:59am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BillG, those photo's bring back nightmares. 2 1/2 hours pushing the boat through water barely knee deep back to the ramp in winter

I like your idea. It can be difficult to get information on boat ramps. Some publications say this and that about a certain ramp and when you see the ramp for yourself you think "WTF! I can't launch here. I'll need a 4wd and a strop to get the boat out...". Also going away and doing a bit of a recon to come across an excellent concrete ramp you didn't know even existed etc.

I would hardly think that putting together details on ramps is going to have a negative effect on people's favourite fishing spots etc.

It would be beneficial from a safety aspect too. People who tow their boat away to a place to find the only ramp is borderline although they heard otherwise from their mate's aunties neighbour, might decided the risk to use it is worth it and find themselves in difficulty.

I'm for the idea!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 11:28am
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have to say that hard won knowledge gained through working something out yourself gives a sense of accomplishment, and it is never forgotten. That is what being a local is all about - hard earned experience.

I dont think you need to worry though Plow. Sounds like your spot cannot be learnt by reading a noddies guide. Watch people complain when their interpretation of your instructions puts them in the wrong place at the wrong time and they get smashed. Beach launching spots chop and change with the sand too. It would be out of date as soon as it is written. I wouldnt attempt to write instructions on how to launch a boat at Piha for example.

A bit of general info to let you know it requires a bit of caution is handy though, and what is always handy is:
1. Do I need a 4wd.
2. Is it tide dependant.

Been caught out a few times returning to ramps to find out that there is no water. That unseen drop off at the end of a ramp is a goodie too.

Overall a good idea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loryda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 7:27pm
loryda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plow - I understand where your coming from, when writing my report for the local ramp i had a tinge of 'is this going to bite me or someone-else in the ass' but at the end of the day i believe that particular ramp is not hugely unsafe and would expect anyone reading my advice to take it with a grain of self reasoning and only launch and retrieve their boats, and use the ramp if they felt safe with it.

I agree that if i felt a particular ramp was too difficult or unexplainable in words and to use it you really needed first hand knowledge i would not attempt to list it on the database, the same would go for marginally used ramps that are degraded or for boat club ramps which are private use only.

Don't fret, i don't think you stink Tongue

At the end of the day it is up to the skipper to make the call whether to go out or not and his decision should be final, it is his ultimate responsibility for the safety of his crew and craft and no advice given can negate that, we all must use common sense when launching and retrieving our boats as we do when we are on the water.

I do believe it is a good idea still and would only hope that people used it as a supplement of information rather than the word of god, much as one would use the weather reports as a guide over simply looking out the window..

Regards
Alex
"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."

-Bill Hicks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 7:46pm
rocko View Drop Down

Thanks for thatThumbs%20Up tho still somewhere friendly enough for 4x4 is still bit iffy ,yep ive seen 4x4 stuck on beach or in mud.

*yes dear we wont take the wagon its too good for the beach,instead it gets a dosing of salt from puky  short boat ramps UnhappyLOL *

1 we have out here is okish at low tide tho coverd in mud,its whats beyond the ramp in the unseen which concerns me LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BillG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 8:45pm
BillG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Guys (& Gals!),

Without the support and co-operation of the site owners (SO) who would have to implement an organised easily accessible standardised formulated Database with fields of set information - we may as well be fleas arguing over who owns the dogLOLLOL. It isn't difficult, but true worth for input and use will have to be determined by the SO who would also have to include a legal protection rider as to the accuracy of the information and of course it's use. No one wants problems, we all look for answers and to assist in the search for them.

The question that begs many of these posts boils down to the old "Am I my brothers keeper?"....Hug
I would much rather ask for help and perhaps even ask a silly question and have people suspect I am a bit of a fool, than to make a (self indulgent arrogant) mistake and confirm peoples suspicions...Embarrassed 

I would also much rather help than stand by and watch others struggle.......Cry

Ultimately - like Quality control in a company, the value system has to come from the top - there is an old management saying - an organisation is the extended length of one mans (or womans) shadow......
I'm sure if the owners want to, and see value in it, they will.

I mean, we have literally an army of eyes and ears out there and all we have to do is pool our already focused energy and resources to produce an unparalleled boating resource.....Clap (Imagine a Quick Grabbit Now! Board for all the TAS bargains and cheap windows of opportunity!Lamp)
From reading this forum one can easily conclude that there is an unimaginable wealth of fishing and boating history, talent, experience and advice - all available and waiting to be offered, in good faith, in friendliness and in good spirit - that's the way I've come to think of the New Zealand fishing "family" that I watch closely, listen to humbly, learn from eagerly and read about in anticipation here everyday.

One thing is for certain, you won't easily find so many people gathered in one place (albeit over time) in many other sports.

As the old saying goes - Unity is strength -

Standing together the members of this forum actually represent an incredible force. Perhaps this is only one of many ways to effectively utilise the collective strength for the good of all who gather here.

Thumbs%20Up

Ying%20Yang

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 9:12pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe in Karma

Therefore I believe someone whos posted on this thread will come unstuck one day as they have not followed what I have experienced to be a "help thy neighbour" mentality that exists on this forum

That is all

No, I will add.........

If launching at Waiake ( Nth eastern, not main beach ) go to the far right at low tide if retrieving......is sandstone over here and much harder.
Only room for one or two tho......so you might have to wait for the locals who are hogging it and laughing at the poor buggers who didnt know better in the middle
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 9:44pm
rocko View Drop Down

Well if this helps anyone  Hunting the scolly grounds, matakawau is along ramp,but @ low water the concrete drops away  sharply then its mud,low water the ramp is greasy, and muddy  over the concrete.

I havnt tried the beach,s yet (someone eles may help here.

I know Grahams beach is a  short stint out then drop straight to the channel.

Waiua is ok all tides, be wary the current is very swift when on the go,as the other side te toro,has breakwater, but still very strong current flow,straight into deep water.Just watch the rocks around clarks corner ( im still getting it sussed )

The other local yocals on here may have better idea but this is just my experience so far.Hope this helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 12:28am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

some of you guys have gotten the wrong end of the stick from me.. If you guys know Teal bay you would understand that the reason I didn't want to mention it is that the neighbours to the launching area are tired of saving peoples arses... The conditions change depending on recent rain waters coming down the estuary which shifts the sand and hides rocks in the channel which is only a couple of metres wide, too small for many fiberglass boats. The rain and shifting sand confuses the current and steers motor driven boats onto the rocks which are only a couple of feet under the high tide mark. At low tide there is no tidal water, the channel water coming from the hills is sometimes ankle deep and forces people to try and take their trailers up the sand, which is too soft for normal tractors. Hence the long chain of stuck tractors, Its happened a few times too.  We only launch a 12 foot tinny from the estuary and use oars until right out in the bay. I help my neighbours and visitors(including mates of mine with bigger boats) by suggesting they launch at the next beach around the corner where they are less likely to have problems.

I have done it loads and screw it up myself sometimes which is why we only have a 12ft tinny at the bach. Its small, light and easy to handle through the channel. Other owners in the area leave their boats moored out in the bay during the time they are there to avoid launching everytime.

That is all.

Oh no one more thing, this is a good thread and if you guys dont mind i'd like to edit away my crap soon so you guys can concentrate on the purpose of it.. which is creating the database for safer boating.

cheers, and land some big ******* out there...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 12:59am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Plow Plow wrote:

some of you guys have gotten the wrong end of the stick from me.. If you guys know Teal bay you would understand that the reason I didn't want to mention it is that the neighbours to the launching area are tired of saving peoples arses... The conditions change depending on recent rain waters coming down the estuary which shifts the sand and hides rocks in the channel which is only a couple of metres wide, too small for many fiberglass boats. The rain and shifting sand confuses the current and steers motor driven boats onto the rocks which are only a couple of feet under the high tide mark. At low tide there is no tidal water, the channel water coming from the hills is sometimes ankle deep and forces people to try and take their trailers up the sand, which is too soft for normal tractors. Hence the long chain of stuck tractors, Its happened a few times too.  We only launch a 12 foot tinny from the estuary and use oars until right out in the bay. I help my neighbours and visitors(including mates of mine with bigger boats) by suggesting they launch at the next beach around the corner where they are less likely to have problems.

I have done it loads and screw it up myself sometimes which is why we only have a 12ft tinny at the bach. Its small, light and easy to handle through the channel. Other owners in the area leave their boats moored out in the bay during the time they are there to avoid launching everytime.

That is all.

Oh no one more thing, this is a good thread and if you guys dont mind i'd like to edit away my crap soon so you guys can concentrate on the purpose of it.. which is creating the database for safer boating.

cheers, and land some big ******* out there...

Plow....thats exactly the information that is useful for people and will hopefully cut down the number of times the locals who live near the ramp there need to assist others. Its all good mate!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 1:19am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah I suppose it is JK.. you're right mate.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 1:27am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

The way I see it is there are mainly two types of info....

You can either say stuff like 'there's a great ramp at XXXX beach with hot fishing just offshore etc' - thats the type of info that whilst is useful for many fisherfolk, it probably doesnt go down to well with the locals and I'm sure many people can understand that.

But I think the more useful info is the stuff like 'avoid XXXX ramp from half tide down' or 'beware of hidden rocks on left hand side of channel' or '4wd a must/ tractor launching only' etc.  As per my previous post this is the stuff that can really help out the locals as well as saving boat owners from making possibly costly and embarrassing mistakes.

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 6:19am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

most regional councils website also have boat ramp info..

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 6:58am
rocko View Drop Down

I had a look at those sites and they dont say much at all,just as to say,theres a ramp here,there, and over there,,,,,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 11:12am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

The idea to build a knowledge base and be able to share it has huge merit and thanks for the idea Bill.  I'm going to discuss the practicalities of setting something up with our developers and will let you know the outcome of that in due course.  

These ideas always have a cost and sponsors and advertisers are not easy to find, however if it can make boating safer and add more options then it's got to be worth doing one way or another.

In the meantime lets continue to use this thread to post any info you have about any ramps in particular and we can transfer it to another system in time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 12:50pm
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It may not need to be too techo, how about another forum called ramps and then we could just create posts on the various locations ramps etc with everyone adding their five cents worth to a paticular thread. If you wanted to look for a paticular location you could just search the post titles?
I aint that flash on the putor so this may not be as simple as it seems?

I reckon that the data base is a **** hot idea though, when you read the descriptions on some of the ramps around they are pretty scant on detail.

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 2:16pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rocko mentioned the Matakawau boat ramp before but I
wanted to expand a little further .
There is a decent sized turning circle and plenty of parking space there .

There's quite a long (approx 50 mtr ) reverse to the waters edge .

There's also a jetty and a walk around to get onboard if there happens to be other boats launching or if you have a bigger boat .

This 7 mtr boat was able to be launched with ease .

Points to note are an unmarked and submerged at high tide reef 150 mtrs south of the ramp on the edge of the Waiuku channel that really should be marked as it could be quite dangerous for the unsuspecting .
Also when it blows hard from the East there is no shelter from the waves .

There has been an upgrade to the ramp at the end of October to increase the gradient .

It is advised to jack-knife your trailor to the left 9in pic) to take advantage of the gradient change and there's plenty of space for 2-3 to go at a time depending on the stage of the tide .

Be aware that there is a rock hard at the base of the southern cliff face that could catch you unaware , the council would not allow for the removal of this obstacle due to the fact that it has seaweed on it Thumbs%20Down

There's also an honesty box at the top of the ramp for maintenance of which the Matakawau Boating Club are responsible
for , so please give generously or I'll punch
you in the teefs Big%20smile
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Page  <1234 10>