The Tongariro Roll Cast

Page  <1 56789>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:41pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just finished the 6th TRC clinic at the Trout Centre, which netted them $1000 for their impressive development of this site.  As expected some people picked it up better than others.   Hopefully all now have grasp the basic moves and providing they put the practice time in will see improvements.   On the day we were lucky with the weather as storms raged all around the North Island but somehow missed Turangi.     Good to see Cheeko after all those years.

Fishwise the Taupo fishery has improved out of sight with every fish landed  being better than anything I have caught in the last five years.     Thank God for that as I had started to doubt if I would ever see the days of old again.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Blasting a big TRC right across the Red Hutt Pool.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 8:11am
Te Awa Kairangi Angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

did it catch a fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 11:06am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

No, not there as it would have been impossible to mend at that 80'+ distance.   That is down by the white boulder and not under the bridge!!!!!!    I was testing the latest Composite Developments 6# XLS 2 rod before it is going into production and was very impressed with its performance.   Best rod CD has ever made and at the RRP of $499 is hard to beat by anyone.  Line was an #8 Airflo Ego with a 64' head.
 We caught plenty of fine fish in other pools and it is a great relief to see that the Taupo fishery has finally recovered.    

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:26pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

'Did it catch a fish' LOL

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 7:01pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

rainbow, maybe doc took my advice and killed a few million shags and stopped the locals decimating the smelt with whitebaits nets, when they run... so now the trout are getting bigger n better :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:32pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

This clip shows the true potential of the TRC    No back cast needed and no worries of getting hit by  a heavy bomb.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brA7vVyVmDg&feature=youtu.be

Rainbow

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKcj6Ph-mc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to see some recent posts deleted Stern Smile.

I reckon I could still hit myself in the back of the head doing that Big smile.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:44am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

While the common term for the back cast is a D-Loop in reality it is actually a dynamic >-Loop as in this picture.     A D-Loop is too slack too gutless to properly load the rod.
Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:16am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Regardless of standard or dynamic it is still a d-loop and no roll cast can performed without it due to this being the part that loads the rod.

The execution of a cast is one thing, being able to teach it properly is another... It is imperative, if people are going to learn any roll/spey cast for them to properly understand the concept of the D-Loop and how it can be morphed into a bigger dynamic loop on specific big water situations.

This clip teaches the basic roll cast properly, explains the dynamics and execution of the d- loop and how it is turned into a dynamic loop by simply adding a haul on the backcast... that's all you need to change a D-Loop into a DynamicLoop... just haul as you slide the line back.

The TRC is a very simple cast, easier than overhead casting for many if taught correctly, and a handy addition to every anglers arsenal if fishing heavy flies on big water.

Don;t be put off by it being presented like rocket science... it's just throwing a line with a rod.

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:29am
Titanium
Titanium

One of the first things to understand if you want to use the TRC is the concept of how Spey Casting works. The variables are infinite in spey casting, the TRC is just a morph of a line reposition and the Perry Poke Spey cast in the same way the Wombat cast is a morph of the Snap T and the Perry Poke.

This DVD is an excellent insight into the various spey styles... http://vimeo.com/21986071

I have some more links to dig out that will help people with this cast....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 2:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

While the common term for the back cast is a D-Loop in reality it is actually a dynamic >-Loop as in this picture.     A D-Loop is too slack too gutless to properly load the rod.
Rainbow

If it isn;t... why do call it one? The ability to understand the D-Loop concept and loading a rod using one is the single most important factor in making ANY roll cast. To try and muddy this one issue almost appears as if there is a deliberate attempt to sabotage people's attempts at doing it. You have always, until now, used the term D-Loop... as exampled... Why the change?

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

As a result there is now more line lying on the water than you would like, which will increase the anchorage to more than you need for a normal cast.   

This leaves you with two practical corrections.  

• You can project the D-Loop more upwards to lift more line from the water.
  • You can stroke the cast higher while applying more force to the rod.  

In practice you will probably do a bit of each.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:51pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

It is quite correct that a haul at the D-Loop forming movement is of help with the Switch or Single Spey because both casts lift the whole line that is out there; possibly as much as 15m.    However, the TRC is a sustained anchor cast, meaning that the anchor once planted does not move during the remaining setup phases.    The only line that needs to be projected rearward to form the D-Loop is the "fold", which is  about 3-4m.    It only needs a progessive lift and a tap to form a perfect D-Loop.    A haul is counterproductive as it will create too much rearward speed.  This will cause the D- loop to bounce and the indicator and the reaining line on the water to jump as the D-loop comes tight.    It creates slack at the very moment when its lower leg should be tight and dead straight.   The result is reduced anchorage and the cast is likely to fail.     
Last week we did some filming in slow motion, which showed how an ever so slightly insufficient  anchor (a mistake in the setup) causes the cast to collapse way across the river just before the final turnover .    Impossible to pick the cause at normal speed.    

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 3:05pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKcj6Ph-mc

Here is a medley of TRC casts by Herb Spannagl recorded by Harry Moores at Tongariro's Red Hut, Major Jones and Lower Bridge Pools last Winter.

Whist most of the shots are of "river right" set ups the ones on the Lower Bridge Pool are "river left".

Rainbpw

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:54pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

in the past I have tried to cast heavy sink tips with ordinary long belly lines using the TRC.    Just did not work as the light line tip did not have the power to lift them from the water.      My recent practice with Skagit gear got me to have another look at it.     Since I got some long headed Spey lines I started to modify an 8/9 weight one to make it more sink tip compatible .

I cut most of the long front taper off leaving the heavy main head and the short rear taper and thin running line.    I created a loop on the front and to that I looped a 12' level sink tip as well as a leader.     The head is about 30' long + 12' tip.   

I tried this set up today with a 9' single handed #8 rod using the standard TRC with a haul.   It performed beyond expectations.     Got 70-80 foot casts that not only easily lifted the sink tip from the water but also turned it over nicely.    

This now gives me the opportunity to wet line just as I could with the double hander using the Skagit head.     If I want to upstream nymph fish all I need is run my long belly floater from another spool.      At first I was a bit reluctant to cut up a almost new Spey line but the results have been a clear winner.      Besides the traditional Spey line really served no purpose in this country, anyway.   Now it has got another life.     

Rainbow

Ps On second thought I put a stiff loop on the cut off Spey line tip, which allows me to loop it back on to the main head to configure it for upstream nymphing.     I have used a Spey line in the past and know I can power that line out with an #8 single hander.    An Eureka moment!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:23pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Here is a quote by Ed Ward (of Skagit casting fame)about D-Loop shape.     " (the more narrow, tighter, wedge-shaped the D-loop, the more casting energy produced. This "fact" seems to be universally agreed upon$").       This is what I call a V-Loop.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 11:17am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKcj6Ph-mc

Harry Moores filmed this TRC medley on the Tongariro last season.    Near the end I explain the four steps which are the key to learning this cast.     There are of course small details that are also important to refining it.    If you are interested in learning this cast come to the 30th August Clinic at the Trout Centre.     One on one instruction will save you years of self punishment.
Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 1:02pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Only Three Weeks To Go

“Tongariro Roll Cast” Casting Clinic
National Trout Centre, Turangi
10am, 30th of August 2014
Instructor: Herb Spannagl and Friends
This annual clinic is in its seventh year and is a special fund raising venture for the National Trout Centre.   

Are you sick of digging wayward globugs out of your fishing jacket?   Have you become gun-shy casting heavy nymphs or need pain killers to last through a long fishing day?    With the Tongariro Roll Cast these common annoyances are things of the past.   Once you master this great cast you will launch murderous bombs in complete safety and cast them distances you never thought possible.   With little back cast room needed you will be able to fish where others can’t. These are just a few of the advantages that this great casting technique offers.   Over the last ten years this cast has become my “go to” fishing style for the Tongariro River to the point where I often fish a whole week without making a single overhead cast.    

But let me warn you this is not an easy cast to learn and to perfect it requires cast iron commitment to get you over the inevitable pain barrier.   I have developed a teaching system that breaks this cast down into four phases, which is a great aid to understanding how and why this cast works.    With an instructor at your side you will not only learn each casting phase but more importantly how to fuse them seamlessly together for the final delivery.   I have also put together some written material, which will help you with your progress.
This course is definitely not for beginners.    You will find it easier if you can double haul already, even though this cast only requires a single haul.    

What to bring:   Waders, Rod from #6 upwards and a longish belly (40’) line that is 1-2 line weights higher than the rod rating.   You also need a small indicator that is well treated so as not to become water logged.   No flies, please, just a tuft of wool tied on the end of the leader.   It is a good idea to bring eye protection and a camera to record important points for future reference.   Bring your own lunch or buy it at the centre.

This clinic is not an introduction to the wide range of roll and Spey casts.   It is entirely focused on giving you a solid foundation of the Tongariro Roll Cast and how this cast can be used in a variety of fishing situations.

Bookings can be made at the National Trout Centre (07-3868085) on SH1 4kms south of Turangi.   Your fee of $75 will assist the Trout Centre Society to further develop this stunning facility.   

I look forward to help you expand your casting horizon with the Tongariro Roll Cast.

Herb Spannagl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 7:17pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks to Rainbow (Herb) and his team for time and effort for a well run TRC day. 
Attending this course was well worth it. I had previously had a looked at video clips and various written descriptions of this cast . Actually spending time watching and listening to the instructor performing this cast ties everything together. I personally would not have made too much progress without this one on one tuition and feel I have the basic fundamentals to continue fine tuning this cast . I see this as an ongoing progression , not something I can learn in 10 minutes anyway.
Aside from this Herb sensed I was a special caseLOL and volunteered some extra time before the course to give me a head start . Also giving advice on my overhead casting which gave instant results.

Seeing this cast performed by Herb is enough motorvation for me . He was roll casting twice the weight and probably 1 1/2 times the distance as I could overhand , he also had to put the brakes on before smacking the wall a few times. Confused
I see many benefits of this cast aside from casting bombs on the Tonga.
So many thanks again to Herb , he passes his knowledge on for the passion , no financial gain.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:39am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

TRC on the Tongariro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKcj6Ph-mc   filmed by Harry Moores

Rainbow

Next Tongariro Roll Casting Clinic will be held at the National Trout Centre and on the Tongariro River in Turangi on the 21st of August.     Bookings and further information at the Trout Centre     As always all proceeds will go to the Trout Centre.

Course is unsuitable for fly fishing beginners.

Cheers

Rainbow
Page  <1 56789>