Wellington SP finatics

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington SP finatics
    Posted: 31 May 2007 at 7:33pm
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Are there any apart from me.
What are you all up to. what have you been catching. on what.
My last trip south of Titahi Bay was fun but only got me a couple of juvenile Coddies (they went back in fine)
Hooked up with a good Kahawai (man I love those guys) but it shook me off.
Still saving for my dinghy. then those snapper will be in trouble. Smile
I had one nuke chook come back very chewed. not sure what it was as I was bottom dragging. the coddies don't usually munch them that bad.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 7:39pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats the ticket aharvnz...there are more than a few of us down here in wellywood...slayed a few good KY, cod and the more than occasional Ray which are fun at first but ...but a bit annoying after a bit... no Snaps down here yet  but the odd one or two up in Sincity and the Mandel Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:00pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught 1 gurnard, 1 monkfish, and several kahawai landbased. And caught many blue cod (mostly juvenile) and a few large kahawai from the kayak. No snapper yet. I find the blue cod tends to make SP fishing an expensive excercise!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:05pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what Jighead /Wormies or SP sizes do you use that  on the Blue cod Sooshee ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:09pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

havent really done any sp fishing as yet but would be keen to meet and learn from someone. I have read a bit and been reading the posts and have a bit of gear but just need to get out and do it i suppose

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:19pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where are you based in Wellywood  Erik ..gotta love those SP and damn addictive Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:56pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

what Jighead /Wormies or SP sizes do you use that  on the Blue cod Sooshee ?

I was using cheapie "no brand" jig heads with 8gm head on them. Hooks around a 4/0??? I have caught them using 3inch Kopyto SPs which I got from Uncle and more recently 5 inch Gulp jerk shads (yes I have finally succumbed to scented SPs!). I just cast them out and let the yak movement do all the work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 7:47am
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

you're right about the cods being expensive. they bit the tails off the mullets and shads. I have a few nuke chook shrimps left so I might try them out as they look like they might be more resilient. Another fun fish (not an eater) is the Banded Wrasse. They try to run you into the rocks. quite a battler for their size. Since SPs from the shore/rocks down here seems to be a bit hit and miss I tend to treat a day out more like sport fishing. a good fun day out and if I get a keeper even better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 9:07am
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

get some slugos on, bit more durable the rumour is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 12:01pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

should try and organise all us wellywood lads for a sp fishing session, might learn something from each other Thumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snowbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 2:33pm
snowbal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ive caught  Blue Cod and a couple of good barracudas witch are fun with lil gear , im heading out this monday and would b nice to bag a snapper , figers crossd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 2:40pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

can't wait for Wellywood's #1 soft baiter to post on this thread about all the fish he's caught.....should be interesting to say the least! Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 2:51pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who dat Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 3:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

can't wait for Wellywood's #1 soft baiter 

well that counts out it been me Ouch

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 7:43pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

moocha i am in Petone. going out on monday with the newly formed kayak fishing club

regards erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 9:10pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stormbringer Stormbringer wrote:

should try and organise all us wellywood lads for a sp fishing session, might learn something from each other Thumbs%20Up

Hey, that's not a bad idea Smile. I'm sure the blue cod will be more than cooperative! I'm more inclined towards a boat rather than a landbased session though.

Do we have a show of hands as to who would be keen on such a "no bait allowed" boat fishing session?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 9:11pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 9:17pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Yup
That was quick!

Once we have 3-4, I'll do a ring around for a boat, unless anyone here has one they will be willing to take out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 9:26pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah mate your fast or your last, been a while and the Welly SP scene needs a good kick up the a$$ to get it firing Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 9:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Wink now we are talking Thumbs%20Up

Page  12>