scallops

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scallops
    Posted: 20 Jul 2002 at 12:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yummy it's scallop time - i think! Well I hope it is. I usually leave the things alone until September or so. Anyone been after them yet? If so are they worth taking or should I wait, always get eager at this time of year.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 11:15am
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wouldn't bother Smudge - @ least on the east coast.

Out a fortnight ago and grabbed a few from kawau and a few from tiri for comparison. The roe as too be expected is still undeveloped and 'unripe'.

Give 'em another couple of months

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 4:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ok, think I will wait - I broke my scalloping rope dragging trees around anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 8:22pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scallops were reasonable to good at Mercury Bay weekend before last. Must agree that inner Hauraki Gulf scallops very poor to average at this time of year.Anyone heard about Little Barrier beds? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 5:48am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Man you guys have to be crazy....scollops are great at any time. I dont think the roe makes any difference to the taste at all. I will give you that they arnt all that fat but the taste is the same and here I am with my boat on tyres as the trailer gets regalvd
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 6:02pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At this time of year , the Hauraki Gulf scallops can be watery as well , not good. Sorry to hear about the trailor but early this year we must have spent a grand on my 6 year old fyran s' trailor. Rust never sleeps.

The boys in my freediving club are off to Paihia this weekend so They will certainly sample the Bay of Island scallops. Maybe get out to Cape Brett if that swell drops a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 8:35am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How about the ones at Cornwallis? I free dive for them they're not as fat as I want but in a couple of months there wont be any left in under 12ft. Makes you wonder if the season should start later

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 7:48pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do not want to think about freediving scallops in the manukau - can't help but think of the Great Whites that live their!

The West coast scallops are probably in better nick than the east coast ones though. Do you do any spearfishing ?

Russell Nelson

Bluefin Freediving / Spearfishing Club

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 3:30pm
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just off the phone to a friend in Coromandal. He says the scollops are full but little roe, not watery. His only concern is the numbers of them. His regular spot gave only 10% of normal. He thinks the commercial boys have been through.

Ross

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2002 at 2:55pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Russell on 31 July 2002

I do not want to think about freediving scallops in the manukau - can't help but think of the Great Whites that live their!

The West coast scallops are probably in better nick than the east coast ones though. Do you do any spearfishing ?

Russell Nelson

Bluefin Freediving / Spearfishing Club

hehe,

We used to free dive cornwallis aswell, last couple of years...until, like you Great White conversation came up. Talking about this one day with a friend of mine whos mad keen on lbg bronzies etc - I asked him what he wanted with all the offal we had been giving him from different goat / deer hunts, as all he said was he needed burley..

I knew he fished out west but was shocked to hear he had been having good results on bronzies off the cornwallis wharf!!!!!!! burleying up a storm and fishing through nite tides.

Needless to say - we get our scallops on the east coast nowadays. Also near Pudding island manukau harbour - there is a huge great white that comes and goes and has scared many a small boat fisherman away. A good fishing mate has photos of 2 x great whites caught on whole parore near  the entrance back in the 70's I think.

Ahhhhh Great White Stories - ya gottal luv 'em:}

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2002 at 8:45pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Whites are not really seen much by the diving community on the east coast ( thank goodness) However as I have mentioned in an earlier forum post the Bronze whaler population is very healthy and frisky in the Hauraki Gulf particularly in the summer when the water temp. seems to stir them up a bit. Alot of people have had some awesome encounters while IN the water trying to keep their fish intact. Bronzies love speared and tethered Butterfish , snapper and in particular kingies.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2002 at 3:22am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great thanks guys! I would have been perfectly happy getting a feed this weekend, now Im gonna have the dah dum dah dum (jaws theme) in my head. If freezing my #@(^ wasn't bad enough!

Yeah I used to spearfish Russell now I mostly free dive for crays or paua when I get a chance, oh and scallops until...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2002 at 9:38am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't let the sharks put you off. I have been diving for 15-20 years and only seen two. Despite diving in the " Bronze Whaler" capital (the Leigh/ Kawau area) frequently this summer I was not blessed with a visit. They seemed to pick on the same guys - one lost kingfish in excess of 15kg twice in two weeks( Takatu and Leigh harbour)You were far more likely to see them if you were shore based not diving from a boat - sounds odd but true.

Our club is very active , freediving for fish crays and now scallops nearly every weekend. I also fish alot particularly from now till xmas( spring algal blooms not great for spearfishing) with the arrival of the spring snapper spawning schools not too far away.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2002 at 1:42pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Russell on 03 August 2002

Don't let the sharks put you off. I have been diving for 15-20 years and only seen two. .

Fair comment Russel 

Definitely one of those things that's in the mind, something seady about the manukau now though.. after learning the fact our mate as posted earlier has been burleying up a storm and targetting bronzies. The water is hardly clear aswell!!! east coast anyday I reckon

Incidentally - do you know Jeremy (4get his 2nd name) keen shooter / fisho works @ fish and game shop glenfield. About 6mths back he had a run in with a big bronzie leigh reef while connected to a kingi (spear fishn) - his article was published in local paper too. You must know captain kayak aka gazza ellis also?? very keen spearfisherman and nice bloke.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2002 at 7:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah , Jeremy Viall is his name and I know him well. I was his partner in the National Spearfishing Champs a few years ago and I confirm that he is a very good diver.For some reason ( all the fish life there I suppose)the Leigh area is Bronzey Alley particularly Summer / Autumn and last summer was the worst on record for big bronzy encounters in this area.

I do not know Captain Kayak personally but he sounds a keen bean.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 1:32am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Smudge and Stefan, I have been scalloping up at the Manukau toward the mill end and the shells are legal but few in nos and average about 110mm.

Cheers CeeBee

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 10:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Cee Bee. Is that from the Clarks Beach area?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2002 at 3:08pm
Keith View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi all.

I have been visiting this forum for a while now. Thought I might give my 2 cents worth. We have just got back from a week in Blenhiem. Three of us went out to the head of the Sounds to get a feed of scallops. Well, it only needed 1 dredge, approx 200 in 1 drag. Threw 50 of the smallest back. Time to head home again. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2002 at 7:02am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

G'day Keith...now that wasn't very fair at all mate!......good condition were they?..taste good did they?...'spose ya washed them down with a nice bottle of plonk as well?...
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05