Fluorocarbon for SP fishing

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fluorocarbon for SP fishing
    Posted: 15 May 2007 at 2:53pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone used the black magic fluorocarbon for their leaders when fishing softies?

I have used Berkley Vanish 20lb up until now and thought I might try something new and just wanting to know what peoples thoughts are on it?.

Also has anyone had good sized snapper bust or chew through their leaders when fishing plastics with fluorocarbon leaders? if so what breaking strain and brand was it that broke?

I have had 20lb vanish break on me a few times. I was fishing with 12lb fireline each time and each time the fluorocarbon broke before the fireline did and my knots didn't let go either. I had it break on me twice due to getting snagged on the rocks where I wrapped the main line around a rag and pulled on it till something gave....wound in the line and found that the fluorocarbon broke about mid length of my trace and with no visable signs of abrasion. The last time it happened I hooked into a bloody good fish  which almost spooled me on my symetre 4000, he dragged about 100m off my spool then snap.....wound it all back in again and yep the fluorocarbon trace snapped about mid length of the trace and again with no visable abrasion. Weird! Confused each time I was using about 1m of trace.

So gonna give the Black Magic stuff a try and see how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 2:58pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

an interesting topic is this flurocarbon
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 3:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

You using it yet Squidy?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 3:41pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi AP,
Have used most brands including the Black Magic, they all worked fine as long as you wet your knots when tying them. The Black Magic did tend to frey very easily though. We use either Vanish or the new Stren which would be one of the better ones I have used. I don't know if it's in the shops yet, you can't miss it as it has a slight pink tinge to it.

Cheerz
GG
Go Soft and Go Hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 3:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers MIB, yeah I always tie my knots slow and keep them well lubricated. Never had a knot let go on me, just found it weird that the fluorocarbon snapped in the middle of the trace when surely the knot should break first as it must be a weak point or snap the main line as its a lesser breaking strain than the trace I was using.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 4:18pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have spools of Vanish and used it for a while, have not been overly impressed with it. It seems to have a very strong memory which results in tangles.

Now I have moved onto Airflo SightFree Fluorocarbon and prefer it. Mainly using it because I got it for cheap.

After that runs out I would be using Rio Powerflex + , It is great stuff. It is very thin and strong. Currently using it for my flyfishing but over time would probably replace all of my line with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 4:30pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used vanish 15 & 20lb - only ever broke at knot when snagged. No tangles or any other problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 4:36pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Fluorocarbon has a much higher tensile strength than say a mono, better abrasion resistance, but can be more brittle, we stick to either 20 or 25lb as a rule depending on what method of Softie fishing we are doing. I have been using this new Stren brand (another PureFishing product) with great success, but there are others like Seagar which I rate pretty high as well. It's gonna be expensive which ever way you go, but Black Magic do put more line/$$ on their spools, as for the quality.... well more than likley out of China. Just as a test try using some of the better Poly Copper type mono's. I did this during a trial to see just what advantage the Fluorocarbon had, to be quite honest I didn't see a great change in results over the 2 months, it may be the rumors that Fluorocabon is more invisable in fresh water than Saltwater are true and the manufacturer's have been creaming it selling us something we don't really need. Food for thought>>>>

Cheerz GG
Go Soft and Go Hard 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 5:12pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I totally agree there are times that FC is necessary, ie clean wash fishing around rock but see no further use for it otherwise.
Basically only a handful of kiwi's actually fish the wash, most sp fisho's drift around channels and out in the open usually over muddy bottoms.
There is a thought we must use FC at every oportunity, well ive also trailed using 40lb supple trace instead. The results are very clear!

there is no difference what so ever.
Dont be fed you must buy fluro carbon to properly fish soft baits. You'l save money too to buy more baits

not having a go at anyone, just calling a spade a spade

Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 5:14pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have read that all fluorocarbon lines are made in 1 of 3 factories. Two located in Japan and one in Germany. This means that many of the competing brands are selling identical products.

I would second the suggestion to try same of the high quality mono's. They are normally cheaper and from my experience using them as leaders they work well. I have only used Cortland Precision line but have found it a pleasure to use.

This comparison done by tackletour compares the properties of several different fluorocarbon lines (Note: Lines not leader material) and they find a few interesting results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 8:57pm
wingo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Militaris,

It does not follow that because all braids are made in one of three factories that the retailed products are identical, some may be but many different products as diverse as ski boots to blank CDs are produced like this from a small number of factories tooled up to do the job but each client (brand) provides different requirements for the production of their product.

I like squids approach (but not the statement about the number of wash fishersin NZ) try out different products for yourself and use what works for you. As he said you might have more money left over for other items.

I have been using Black Magic fluoro leader and have had no issues. I have also been using Seaguar with the same results. I am using Berkeley Vanish fluoro mono i.e. not leader which is very cost effective and again have had no problems. Would I stop fishing if I ran out of fluoro leader, no, I would use regular mono or no leader at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 9:40pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

To be honest, more often than not I just use some 25lb Maxima Ultragreen that I had leftover from spooling one of my baitrunners. I've found it pretty dam good too off the rocks and no noticeable difference vs flurocarbon apart from the price
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Westiebouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 9:48pm
Westiebouy View Drop Down
New User
New User

I have used Black Magic Flurocarbon 15lb for the past few months with no  problems in knot strengh however have had it frey a few times costing me fish. At first i never made regular checks on my fluro trace but now treat it as a normal mono trace checking it regulary and change it as soon as i see damage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 10:06pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use crystal clear braid and tie directly to the hook or jig head.1 less knot to let go...Tie a double then fold in half and do a uni knot(with the 4 pieces ) strait on to the hook...in the deep they will never no or care what you throw at em.....Ask a diver what the vis is like in 30 mtrs....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 10:32pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

I have had 20lb vanish break on me a few times. I was fishing with 12lb fireline each time and each time the fluorocarbon broke before the fireline did and my knots didn't let go either. I had it break on me twice due to getting snagged on the rocks where I wrapped the main line around a rag and pulled on it till something gave....wound in the line and found that the fluorocarbon broke about mid length of my trace and with no visable signs of abrasion. The last time it happened I hooked into a bloody good fish  which almost spooled me on my symetre 4000, he dragged about 100m off my spool then snap.....wound it all back in again and yep the fluorocarbon trace snapped about mid length of the trace and again with no visable abrasion. Weird! Confused each time I was using about 1m of trace.
Hello AP, Fireline is notorious for understated breaking strength. 12lb stated strength will more likely be 24lb actual. This would be one of the reason why it didn't break before the flouro. But I wouldn't know why the break didn't happen at the knot. It is rather odd.

I recall some forummers' reviews on Vanish a couple of years back. Perhaps do a bit of search on past posts?

Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 7:42am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Vanish big spools of 250 yards, are lesser in grade quality, than  the approx 30mtr spools of it.   May have been M.I.B., who was mentioning that just recently . could be why some are experiencing differing success with breakages /knots...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 7:50am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Use crystal clear braid and tie directly to the hook or jig head.1 less knot to let go...Tie a double then fold in half and do a uni knot(with the 4 pieces ) strait on to the hook...in the deep they will never no or care what you throw at em.....Ask a diver what the vis is like in 30 mtrs....

No joiner knot  to catch on the few guides as it passes....smooth all the way...yes, I like that idea,   of2fsh.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 8:31am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have to admit that last Saturday I watched PDS use what looked like a 20lb standard nylon shock leader tied to a short lenght of 80lb tippet trace. He did not loose a single fish whereas I using 20lb flourocarbon got busted off two or three times.Confused
I though it was because PDS is tighter than a ducks bum but now wonder if it was just another example of "the cunning of the Maori" at work.
I am definitly going to swap one of my rigs over to that methoed for a trialTongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 8:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the info guys, I often wondered if it would make much difference to fishing plastics using mono for your leader. Interesting to see that PDS fishes with mono leaders and it doesn't seem to effect his catch rate.

I might trial mono next time I head out and see how it goes in comparison.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 8:49am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No issues with the Vanish yet. I've been using the 15lb stuff, but recently bought a spool of 20lb as the shop didn't have any 15lb left.

I looked at the Black Magic stuff but it looked a thicker and felt stiffer than the equivalent b/s Vanish.

I'm happy sticking with the Vanish for the time being.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Page  123>