Fluorocarbon for SP fishing

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 6:08pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im with Squid on this one I have been using 30lb mono and have had no issues to date.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 9:59pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Squid, Shimma and Accident Prone

I need to tell you that in trout fishing circles the debate about fluoro vs mono has been going on for well over a decade and the jury is still out.    Just the other day a good friend who has been on the NZ Fly Fishing Team since the start told me that a lot of European competitors use mono for their tippets.   To my knowledge there is not a fish in the sea that is so tackle sensitive than trout and brown trout in particular.    If fluoro were to really stand out it would be on these species.   Truth is some anglers use it and some don�t.   The good anglers catch trout with either type of tippet material.  

The glass of water test gives you the choice to either believe your own eyes or a whole page worth of marketing crap.   

My own experience with Vanish fuoro only extends to 8lbs on a 250m spool, which I bought in Turangi.    Total rubbish, breaks like cotton.   Hardly anyone stocks it in this town.    Maybe in the higher line weights that isn�t so noticeable.  There is some very good fluoro tippet material around but you pay for it.    I use it mainly because it is slightly stiffer in the 4-6lbs weights than the same diameter mono and causes fewer tangles and fly spins when I use the Tongario Roll Cast.   I do not use it because it is supposed to be invisible to fish.      

Beats me why fluoro is so necessary for SPs that have �400x more scent� and reputedly out fishes natural bait, when the bait brigade quite happily gets by with mono some of which is as thick as my little finger.

Perhaps it boils down to that in fishing confidence is important.   If fluoro gives people more confidence than that will automatically give them a head start.    Who can argue with that?.    If that also makes the tackle dealers happy than it is a �Win Win�.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 10:13pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

Hi Squid, Shimma and Accident Prone

Beats me why fluoro is so necessary for SPs that have �400x more scent� and reputedly out fishes natural bait, when the bait brigade quite happily gets by with mono some of which is as thick as my little finger.

How very true that is RainbowClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 7:48am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been using both Black Magic and Vanish fluoro and havnt noticed any difference between them. I think if you are fishing deep water as PDS and a lot of us are doing you dont need to use fluorocarbon line.

If you are in shallow water and looking for something more abrasion resistant then possibly fluoro may be a helpful. From everyting I have read and been told its all about abrasion resistance and not that fluoro is invisable.

As for useing line as thick as Boulders little finger.I would place money on the fact I could out fish that  with light thein line. 

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 8:56am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went and fished out in the Firth yesterday and tested something out in the shallower water...

We fished depths from 8 - 22m and in overcast and bright sunny conditions.

4 guys on board, the 3 other guys used fluorocarbon leaders and I used  40lb mono trace material......do you think it made any difference?........ absolutely none.

We all caught our limit no problems at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 2:41pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

There is quite a bit of traffic on the merits or otherwise of Berkley Vanish fluoro.    What strikes me as odd is the fact that in trout strength 250yards of Vanish costs less than 50m of most other fluoro brands.

Here is an extract of an article on fluoro that could offer an explanation to this puzzle.    In fact Vanish might not even be a 100% fluoro but a cheaper mono with a coating of fluoro.

Rainbow

The Advantages of Flourocarbon Line (Guest Article)
by Travis "Travbass2" Dixon

Ask a dozen anglers which is the best line for smallmouth fishing and you will likely get 13 different answers. Everyone has their favorite line and have their reasons why they like it. My answer would be fluorocarbon because it has many advantages over nylon monofilament and braided lines.

In order to understand why Fluorcarbon line is superior to other lines, we need to know a little bit about how it is manufactured. Fluorocarbon line is a cousin to the nylon monofilament line and has similarities in the way it is made. To begin, the line begins as small pellets called PVDF or polyvynillidenfluoride. These pellets are placed in a large bin that feeds them into a heating chamber. After they melt in the chamber, the liquid material is forced out of a cone shaped die, looking like a large hot-glue gun. This process forms a long strand of line that is then passed through a chamber of cold water that aids in aligning the molecules into a uniform, straight line. It exits the chamber and is pulled across some heated rollers. As the line passes over these rollers, the line is stretched and thinned out to the desired diameter for a specific pound test. Once the line is the right size, it is taken up onto a large spool where it cools off and then is ready to be transferred to the smaller spools that are packaged and sent out to retailers and then from there it becomes our fishing line and leader material. This whole process varies from company to company with secret additions to the steps, but this is the basic process for making fluorocarbon line.

The reason why this line costs more than traditional lines is in part because of the prices of materials that are involved in the manufacturing process. Some companies offer lower cost lines that use a nylon mono core and cover it with a layer of fluorocarbon to add the qualities I will discuss shortly. The other part that adds to the costs are those extra steps needed to make this line that isn't needed to make monofilament. With this line you really get your money's worth.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nuclear chicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2007 at 6:43pm
nuclear chicken View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mono-filament is popular as a line material because of its low memory and suppleness, which make it easy to cast and handle. Furthermore, mono boasts excellent knot strength and abrasion resistance, and has an inherent stretch that makes it forgiving when subjected to sudden strain. It's also fairly inexpensive.
But stretch can also be perceived as a disadvantage of mono, since it may reduce the sensitivity needed to detect subtle strikes, as well as limit the angler's ability to set the hook solidly in certain situations, such as when bottom fishing in deep water. Mono also absorbs water, and can lose as much as 15 percent of its rated breaking strength when saturated. Lastly, mono weakens considerably under repeated exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays. Fluorocarbon's biggest selling point is its low visibility. This is due to its refractive index - the degree to which light bends or refracts as it passes through a substance - which can be as low as 1.42. That's very close to the refractive index of water (1.3). The refractive index of nylon mono-filament is higher than that of fluorocarbon, coming in at about 1.52. Braided lines have virtually no stretching capacity. On one hand, this has the great advantage. When you are fishing at greater depths you always maintain direct contact with the bait. On the other hand, when you are fishing with the light power rods you must adjust the drag more softly than when using mono-filament lines of the same breaking strength. braided lines are 3 � 4 times stronger than mono-filament lines of the same diameter. They are perfect for sea and surf fishing.

Fluorocarbon also contains more material than mono, is non-porous, and has a harder finish. It's virtually a solid material that's denser than water. That means it sinks and doesn't absorb water, the latter quality enabling it to maintain its rated breaking strength whether wet or dry. Furthermore, it has a diameter that's comparable to or smaller than monofilament of the same strength, and also has very little stretch. Both features enhance fluorocarbon's sensitivity and hook-setting ability. Lastly, fluorocarbon is very abrasion-resistant and less susceptible to damage from the sun and chemicals.
On the down-side, original fluorocarbon is much stiffer than nylon mono-filament and retains a fair amount of memory. That's why fluorocarbon has excelled as a leader material, but hasn't been manageable as a fishing line. Another drawback has been price, since fluorocarbon leader material costs considerably more than mono-filament and braided lines.
However, all that is about to change with the arrival of new fluorocarbon fishing line. Banking on the popularity of fluorocarbon leaders, several manufacturers have recently introduced technologically advanced formulations of fluorocarbon that are slightly "softer" and more flexible than the original material. Although these new fluorocarbon products retain nearly all the advantages of the leader material, they're intended for use as a primary fishing line. They're reasonably priced, and are already becoming quite popular with salt water anglers.
Four parameters must be taken in consideration when choosing a fishing line: stretch, linear tensile strength and strength on the knot, limpness and color.
Linear tensile strength and strength on the knot
Usually line breaks at the knot. The strength of the knotted line is decreased. The reason is folding damages of the outside molecular level.
Limpness
Limp line does not form stiff coils that rub the guides. A stiff line has a harder finish and is not so vulnerable when fishing in weeds or rocks that scuff the line.
Color
Most of anglers use clear, silver or green line when fishing in clear water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2007 at 7:39pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah was reading an article yesterday in a canadian fishing magazine and the writers have been fishing with flouro line for awhile and rate it highly in tourny fishing. they recommend not trying to substitute mono or braids, but then again these guys are winning $500,000 and $1,000,000 yearly respectively. i'll stick to mono line and mono leaders unless prices get much closer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2007 at 7:49pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

There is quite a bit of traffic on the merits or otherwise of Berkley Vanish fluoro.    What strikes me as odd is the fact that in trout strength 250yards of Vanish costs less than 50m of most other fluoro brands.

The Berkley vanish in the 250 yard packs is different from the Berkley vanish in the smaller leader packs. It is confusing because they both use the name "Berkley vanish".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2007 at 9:13pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The stuff in the 250 yrd pks is no good for leader material,i found this out with a few lost fish due to snapped knots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nuclear chicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 4:42pm
nuclear chicken View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't think Berkley Vanish is rated that high as a flurocarbon . Unforetunately it's a common brand here in NZ so most people have had bad experiences .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 5:30pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah the bulk pack 250 yard Vanish is rubbish but the Vanish in the smaller packs (leader stuff) I have had no real complaints with in 8-40 meters thus far.

Other side I have to side with Bushie in shallower stuff the abrasion resistance might help but I haven't noticed any real difference in the"deep"between it an Mono.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2007 at 1:49pm
Rank Amateur View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

LOL - check this out - it kinda debunks a few of the FC myths... The abrasion probably makes it worth using over shallow fould, otherwise might as well stick to mono...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2007 at 4:40pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It must be remembered that the tackletout tests are on 'fishing line' fluorocarbon and not 'leader grade' fluorocarbon.

I have heard the bulk 'fishing line' fluorocarbon is of a lower quality, and probably created differently with different coating then the stuff meant for leaders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2007 at 5:19pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm switching back to mono leaders once my current FC supplies run out. Why??? Because I am a tight ass and would rather put the extra money to buy FC into my game fishing fund.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Page  <123