Whats ya RIG?

Page  <1 7071727374 77>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:00pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks "steps' how did you get on with your motor last weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:55pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lake boats hold their condition fantastically well
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:27pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surfcasting machine, should make some beaches a bit more accessible.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:13pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grahams beach on the Manukau is a good place for surfcasting .
Especially during the Grunta Hunta , is that your plan for next year ? Wink LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:28pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could well be worth a try Skoti.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been 1/2 by thinking about gettinjg something like that... and sell the bighorn.
Thought about or got a little trailer to tow to the beach, then put behind the quad?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:11pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Been 1/2 by thinking about gettinjg something like that... and sell the bighorn.
Thought about or got a little trailer to tow to the beach, then put behind the quad?

I'm only 200m from pap beach so I won't be needing a trailer to get it there. A friend has a small trailer he's offered up if I want to head out of the area. As for towing a small trailer behind the quad. The quad can carry all I need to take, so no need for towing a trailer.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorta have grandchildren in mind..heading 4 or 5 miles up the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:51pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A little trailer would be ideal for that. They'll love it.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Sorta have grandchildren in mind..heading 4 or 5 miles up the beach.

yeah, I think it's time kitno  started thinking grandies...he's getting to that age groupLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:58pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^^ The old fulla is loosing his mind, happens around his age. Today is Monday bill.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fishizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm
fishizzle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

489 stabicraft
60hp Suzuki 4 stroke

Dislikes: too low at the back so chop can come in. Not a makaira.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 2:49pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fishizzle fishizzle wrote:

489 stabicraft
Dislikes: too low at the back so chop can come in. Not a makaira.

Nice cheap to run vessel, bumpy in the chop but that is most pontoon tinnys.

Does the 489 not have scubbers at the back? I thought the engine well would catch most of the backwash. Also is the bilge working ok?

Annoying having water under your feet I understand, but either scuppers or bilge should sort that. And its only in a large following sea, or reversing that this should happen. FC boats use a very low to the water transom with a cut out or short shaft engines, as did many a Fyran, that design Im not fond of. :-)

Aside from the water clearance issue, is the boat fun and gets good milage out of the engine and large tote?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 3:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So many west coast places to explore, I really wish I had the budget for one, and that you could haul one on a boat trailer legally (dont have room for 2 trailers). So much fun. Makes 90 mile  a breeze.

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Surfcasting machine, should make some beaches a bit more accessible. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 5:37pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm trailering it down to Matata this weekend Fiz. It cost 3k if you're wanting to know.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:29pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I'm trailering it down to Matata this weekend Fiz. It cost 3k if you're wanting to know.

That seems a bargain. Seen a lot of quads on muriwai with the big reels for kontikis, good fun.

Good luck with the trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:21am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FIZ - Fact check and not for first time - fc boats all have transoms to take 20 inch motors . Some manufacturers do have very low15 inch  transoms , with water slopping in from back, but FC Boats are not one of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

FIZ - Fact check and not for first time - fc boats all have transoms to take 20 inch motors . Some manufacturers do have very low15 inch  transoms , with water slopping in from back, but FC Boats are not one of them.

Hi RF, I know you work there so no offense meant. Ive always been a big fan of the FC boats right from the first release, one of the early admirers and advocates, mostly due to the 2m beam and gullwing design that started with the Haines 445/Formula 15 and was copied by many boat builders. Also I like the lip out from the gunwale it seems to deflect any left over spray well. 

It is just something Ive noticed a number of times in following seas, when coming back behind them. I think the issue is more people using the small boats for purposes they are not intended for, which is near shore, not open ocean swells mixed with sudden wind chop off the top.

Backwash is largely something caused by fast deceleration, but add decelerating quickly with a following sea and potentially bad news. It could happen in any boat in that scenario. Very surprised a Stabi 459 which is designed to not roll and keep the engine above waterline when flooded and has an engine well is getting backwash. 

Is an engine drainage well an option? ie like with the older Ramcos (although the newer ones are a pod design)  which had a well just straight across the stern about 1-2feet in from the transom. Only practical on models like the 430cc/sc. I have noticed a couple of FC small open tillers now with plate soldered tabs onto the transom to reduce the cutout to a square shape. If bought new they should have gone with the longshaft possibly.

There are a lot of threads on here relating to "cutouts" and backwash, likewise safety information on how to prevent a swamping with a quick google. Again, you or FC cannot control people not using common sense. 

Pure preference I would go with the longshaft transom. 

On a side note, my understanding is more longshaft engines have been sold than shortshaft as well, I use to think it was the other way around but an engine dealiership told me otherwise.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had the pleasure of upgrading my old bonito 186 which I loved to a new Extreme 645 with 200HP Yammie - I call "JAGER" . I'm pretty stoked with the final out come and have enjoyed a few trips already. Now waiting for better weather. Had to upgrade tow wagon as well and of course the colour match 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:53pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what a stunner mate. Your set. Well done! 

Look forward to your up and coming catch reports !!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  <1 7071727374 77>