Whats ya RIG?

Page  <1234 77>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 5:54pm
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Xkon Xkon wrote:

hey guys nice women err boats . from what i see on  this thread is big boats big engines and a  truck load of fuel to run them...ever thought to drop down in HP? say 200hp to 150hp etc. mabey you will get better fuel  ratio's and not spend lots of cash to fuel up.

2007 marco 570 angler 115hp 2 stroke  half a tote tank for a days running around the lake.

How bigs ya lake? 10ltr for a days running a 115 2stroke almost unbeliveable, I would of thought a 115 on a 5.7mt boat would be pretty maxed out would'nt it?

You can NEVER have enough HP the cost of fuel is the least of me worries mate have ya seen the cost of SP's at the moment. As for the better fuel economy I dought it would be much better just have to pull more revs with the smaller hp.
Like us on: facebook/stanleysigns.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 6:01pm
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

lake taupo is the lake, pity i dident own it or i would ban jigging :)
anywho it's true that i use half a tote tank i head to the cliffs outa the tail race and just go up and down 4 times then troll around the mouths.
yer its pretty well maxed out, recomended hp they said any more hp aint worth it. can always add a higher tourqe prop for more grunt, just caint use em much when trolling is all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 1:15pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats really good value for a two stroke 115hp engine.
If your getting a day = 8 hrs of motoring on 1/2 a tote tank, say 12 liters and your covering over 30nm to your destination and back. Man you must be  trimming and running the boat to its full potential, great skills XCON

Then as you say your getting a days running out of using only 1/2 a tank.
Lets look at that a bit more because these are great statistics - 6 hrs of trolling on taupo at 2 kts. Allow for a few fish to be caught and that you cover the same ground 2 or 3 times. I would allow that you have moved another 10nm from the white cliffs and probably travelled another 20nm to 30nm during the day. All up you would have travelled somewhere close to 60nm for the day

The boat must be really light are you only running it with 1 person on board.

Thats great stuff XCON

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 4:36pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No, I think Xcon probably means he has used the big motor to run to his spots, then would likely troll  with a small motor, as it wouldbe hard to get a 115 2 stroke to troll at trout speeds all day without totally oiling up...2-3mph is pretty darn slow for a big 2 stroke.

This is my rig...
Challenger 680 hardtop, 7.2m o/a 225 4str yammy. 11" chartplotter, JRC ff-50 sounder with 1kw transducer, jrc radar, Simrad autopilot, bells, whistles, whole nine yards. Love it! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 4:53pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

CA - then Xcon wouldnt be running it all day. Just a few minutes to get out and back. If its only being used for a few minutes sounds like a fuel hog

Looks like the bigger the boat the bigger the engine is the way to go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 9:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good point, I had missed that, thanks Herring.
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 10:51am
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi thanks for the comments, i can fill up the tote run it to the cliffs  launching from the marina in tokanau,  i'll best discribe what i do.
i lunch the boat ( curse swear curse swear at cold water on warm feet) tie it up park the monster ugly trailer. (curse and swear at stones on wet feet)  jump in boat lower motor put gear away in holders. put key in push and turn till it coughs, turn off key. turn on key and it starts with warm up leaver up. untie boat (curse and swear at weed in water)
slowly eg 5 knts to the drop off then power up and adjust the trim till it planes. to the cliff's stop engine drift. gear up put back in holders and start engine, now slowly troll as best as i can with main motor. go from one end of the cliffs to the next 3 times. bring up gear stow gear. half throttle to start then full power if flat cam, if not then half power with tim to plane troll over to the drop off and troll some more, 2 times up and down the 40 mtrs mark, then to the first mouth then the hook stop anchor up use wet line by then it's 11am so back to the tokanua tail race 1st boat ramp (curse and swear at slow boat's hooking up) hook boat up to  trailer  tie up and move off, park up get tote tank refill  and it's just below half. thats my average day on lake taupo. hope this clears things up. if in doubth come on out for a burn before the 1st june as thats when marco boats finish building the boat for me. and i wont have the other boat. yes it's heavy to haul but dam light to move on water i'll post a pic

and here is the engine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 12:07pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are you talking of the White Cliffs Xkon or the cliffs at Wahi/Pukawa?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 12:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ah, well, that is clear then, I thought from the original posting it was a full day of trolling being done on a 115hp motor for only 12l gas.
As outlined above, then that is far more understandable, and I suspect my 225 would do a very similar sort of consumption for such little work.
Let's face it, it is not that far from Tokaanu to the Cliffs!
Cheers,
Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 6:40pm
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

red rabbit thats the Wahi bay cliffs  nice deep water there. na CA i can never do a full day, unless it stays flat calm all day other wise from 5am till 9 or 10 am it's calm then it starts to pick up after that.
at the moment there is so much weed around it's hard to get the boat out, so i'm not takeing it out till after the 1st june. see how the 570 goes on the water and sort things out what i need and what i dont need.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 9:29pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Xkon - so what your now saying is that you dont get a full day running around the lake on half a tank.

If the small motor isnt giving you such reliable milage in the windy conditions why not get a bigger boat and bigger engine. This would sure beat having to be home by 10am. All the other guys who have posted their rig may be on to something - bigger is best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 9:12am
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lets all get over the fuel thing ah.

And lets see some more boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 10:16am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Bigger is best" � elephant bollocks!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 11:43am
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i'm looking at a new  yammy 115hp 20" they say i have to pay xtra for remotes, now the question is do new yammys come with remotes or  do i have to pay xtra for them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 1:12pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who told you that Xkon?

Sounds a bit like buying a car and having to pay extra for the steering wheel, if you ask me.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 2:37pm
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Xkon, all dependends on how much ya paying for the motor I spos.

I got a brand new 140fs Johnson(suzuki) for my last boat 3 years ago and the price included the motor the remotes and the install and they even gave me an awsome deal on the old 115 2s johnny as a trade in.

I know this was 3 years ago but has'nt the dollar got stronger since then?

NEW 140fs Johnson(suzuki) 20k (awsome motor)

1999 115 2s johnson with 390hr $7500. Trade in

All up cost to me was $12.5k this included gauges and install.

Ps. the place has now gone under but (wonder why)

I would shop around mate there are some pretty good deals if ya look.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 4:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Remotes I think usually come with the motor, but props do not.... given the choice range for props I guess.
I take it you are getting a 115yam 4/ ?
Cheers, Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 6:59pm
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks i'm going to sell the merc 115 2s 25" L/S

and get the 13.500 yammie 2006 i think it is.

i asked as a joke do the remoted come with it and he says naa ya have to pay 450 to get em butthe guages come with it thoe and prop as well.

and i'm thinking feffin hell mate ya spend that kinda dosh and the feffin remote dont go with it??? fark that i says to myself. so i'm gonna speak to the boss and see what he can do. hope they all dont do that. the fitting i can do my self as i have done heaps over the years. just seams strange is all.  caint say who it is  cause the boss gave me a good deal on a 2007 marco boat. never would have it, if it was not for him. so mabey i should just pay the xtra and be done with it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Obsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 7:47pm
Obsession View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Name: Obsession
Make: Steadecraft 600 Seville
Motor: 175 Mercury Verado
Top Speed: 50mph+ (original setup saw 60mph but re-propped)
Fuel Consumption 7.5l/hr trolling, cruising 24ish, wot 85 l/hr

Livebait tank
Outriggers
Lowrance colour chartplotter/sounder
Epirb etc

Used for fishing and Wakeboarding (Removable 2.2m stainlesss Wakeboard pole)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 9:00pm
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Come on Obsession you must have a photo of ya boat ,
Maybe one with a marlin over the back.
Page  <1234 77>