Boat Ramps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jackbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Ramps
    Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 3:11pm
Jackbean View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have just brought a 16 ft boat and wish to fish the Makara

coast and would like to know where the best boat ramp to use and any charges for this also some good fishing spots insore around mana Island.

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 3:58pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gidday Jack,

I do a bit of spearfishing out that side from time to time.

There is a good ramp into an estuary, a small stream about 20 meters long leads from the estuary to the sea.

I have a 4.2m alloy pontoon boat that I can launch at Makara.

This access is constantly changing tho, and sometimes at low tide Ive had to drop someone off at Makara to take the car to mana. As the creek can be too low, also sometimes a shingle bar builds up in front of the creek which is high an dry at low tide. Pretty much always tho it is a bit of a heave ho up the creek, half dragging half floating the boat up the creek.

Best bet is to make a trip there during low tide and check it before you plan a trip. Ive seen some larger boats launch there but fibreglass boats would definatly be out.

The other place to launch from is mana (Both points have no ramp fee), this will take about 45 mins on a good day to get down to makara from here. But is always a reliable ramp.

Due to this access this part of the coast is really awsome, and can be really fishy with plenty of crays and Terikihi.

Next time Im out there Ill post about the makara stream ramp conditions.

Cheers

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jackbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 4:30pm
Jackbean View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks Paul How do oyu get to the Mana ramps/ I live in palmerston north.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 5:07pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mana or Plimmerton boat ramp is under the bridge you cross just before the plimmerton round about. Comming from Palmy the turn off is on the right just before the bridge.

Another spot which rocks over summer is Kapiti, we landed a few large kingfish out here from Jan through to march. Snapper are also availiable during this time in the right spots.

Other spots from the mana ramp are hunters bank on a fine day and mana island which produces some good snapper when the water temp is right.

Let me know if you need more info.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jackbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 1:04pm
Jackbean View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info.Some of my workmates went on a charter out of Tatahi bay Is this closer to get out to Mana
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 2:22pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Titahi Bay is 5 minutes round the corner from the mana/plimmerton ramp, it is a beach launch and would save you 3-4 minutes getting to mana which is probably 10 minutes off shore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 6:00pm
Shadows View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mana Island fires during the summer months on a part called "The Bridge" which is basically a shallower area which links Mana Island with the mainland, you'll spot it on any marine chart.  Heaps of bull kelp grows on it, it has a reasonable drop off on either side.  Fish the drop off on the northern side of the bridge on the outgoing tide and the other side on the incoming.  Park up and let your burley bring them to you.  Don't fish in the middle of the bridge or you'll just get heaps of kahawai or snags, or snagged kahawai.   Good for snapper.  Decent terakihi and blue cod are often caught around the back of the island in about 60-100ft.   

I'd only launch my 13 foot tinny at Makara, even that can be a bit of a bugger at times because of the low gunwale, especially if there is a swell coming in.  Good fishing at the fenceline, if you do launch from Makara motor north and you'll see the fence coming down the hill.  Head out from there to between 60 & 80ft, or head further north to Boom Rock (Pipinui Point on the charts) and fish in close on the northern end.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote First_watch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 6:31pm
First_watch View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Boat ramps???? Who needs boat ramps.........

This is how us Yanks launch the boat...... or do I mean this is how we launch the truck??????

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=20263

Note: Do not try this at home. These boat errrr truck launches are handled by professionals......

(Note the guy who is still in the truck)

From what I heard, everyone is safe, just a lot grayer..... and hopefully wiser.

Cheers, Bill

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jackbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 8:48am
Jackbean View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the info much appreicated. Any info on the Wellinton area is

good as I have never fished it before.Most of my fishing has been done out of Whangarei, so I'm relly keen to get into it this summer.