Who is using baitcasters?

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 5:22pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice, just bolts straight on then huh cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 5:28pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Dead Ant Dead Ant wrote:

Boulder - Tiny had a very nice over head rod at Stampede's the other night.  It was screaming out for a discerning angler like yoursef to take it home.  It was a one piece though!
   Cheers
         DA
Da I saw that and even had my reel bolted on it a week ago Yes its a loverly bit of kitStar but as some smart Bottoms Deadhave also pointed out I have enough trouble keeping my 2pc rods in two pieces without playing around with a 1 pc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 5:35pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

just like the one on this TN14 Steve......

much more erganomic (sp)...urgon......ummm...comfy than the stock standards in my opinion

cheers for that, I see a few calcuttas being used, is anyone having issues with them, i.e anti reverse pooing it self or stciky drag, I have one and dont use it very much now for these reasons .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 7:01pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi steve, the TE range of slutters are a big step up from the older versions
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 10:13am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been using a little Abu 5600C3Mag.
I upgraded to smoooth drags because I don't like the older abu drags.
New open side ceramic bearings (made for easy tuning with different weight oils, but also helps make it easier to clean out.)and have up graded to a non levelwind CT frame.
Probably could have just bought a shimano in the first place but the abus are simple to service ( a plus for a yak fisho) and there are parts and upgrades galore for Abus.

May get retired once I get a rod made for the revo though.
If I like the rod though I might get two cause it'd be a shame to put the old 5600 down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 10:27am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Using a new version Calcutta 400b with 3 kilo Rapala Titanium. I think the new version has had the sticky drag issues ironed out. Love it for SP fishing. And yes the new Calcutta TE are a very horny little bait caster. A mate bought 2 back from the States with him and they are awesome
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 11:56am
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So its long overdue but I am using a Tica Sculptor SL101, its going fine so far just had the Bearing and drags replaced to the new Abu smoothies... feels super smooth now.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 12:18pm
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a sculptor too. had to go back to get the drag fixed as it stuck fast. working fine now though. great little reel. definitely hooked on lo pros. would never go back to an egg beater for shore/rock fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 12:21pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't know the trusty 6500b always has a place on the bricks I reckon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2007 at 12:30pm
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The thing I find is that I can wind and keep tension on the line better with the low pro even on angles when striking. I don't seem to be able to do that as well with the egg beater.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 6:26pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kezza are those handles readily available as an extra or did it take a fair bit of sussing ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 7:13pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Moocha......I had one on my TN14, so was fairly "at hand" to make the swap but have ordered another TN14 handle, so I can get rid of the stock standard that comes with the Calcutta altogether...currently my TN14 looks just wrong sporting the Calcutta winder.....

most tackle shops should be able to get in spare parts for Shimano reels I would expect mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 7:30pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go Kimbo, Wicked premo on YouTube love em Thumbs%20Up

Ahh ok cheers, I have seen the Tiagra handles (yup just a wee bit big I thought) good to know its not that hard to get em ApproveThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 9:37am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I started this thread a wee while back now when I was trying to decide if I should buy an overhead (Baitcaster) for fishing SP's.

I have 3 SP sets now and 2 of them are baitcasters.

Set 1 is a Shimano Curado 200DHSV on a 2pc 4-8kg Backbone

Set 2 is a Daiwa Procaster Tournament on a Shimano Squidgy Spinnerbait 2pc 3-6kg rod.

My other set the Symetre 4000 on a 2pc 4-8kg Starlo Stix tends to be the last one to get used.

I absolutely love using the Curado, is so bloody smooth with a flawless drag and casts extremely well and man its got a blistering retreive of 7:1. don't have a bad thing to say about it and would highly reccommend them to anyone who is thinking about getting a quality baitcaster for SP's. Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 11:06am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We are using a mix of baitcasters and small reels for the deepwater fishing.

Shimano Calcutta 250b, Shimano Trinidad 12TN, Shimano Calcutta 400TE, Shimano Torium 14, Avet SX Lever drag and an Abu Revo.

apart from the Calcutta 250b all have enough power and line capacity to land most of the big fast running beasts. We are also using pimped up Spinners like the Okuma VS 55 for deepwater stuff where you don't have the same amount of casting the extra weight doesn't inhibit on the angler the same.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 11:17am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MIB...how are you finding the Calcutta 400TE?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 2:57pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Kezza,
At 16lb of drag out of the box and the level of quality she's a little honey, my other choice in this range would have been the CTE300 with the same drag set up at a little less weight, but to be honest the 400TE is a more versitile reel due to the extra line capacity for fishing deep water, it casts well although as mentioned we are mainly using it for deewater stuff and don't need to cast any great distances.
Cheerz
GG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capnnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 2:57pm
Capnnod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got a setup with an abu 6500 but find the wind has definitely got to be behind you

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotowarriors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 6:14pm
Rotowarriors View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do you rate the Daiwa Acc P?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 6:31pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MIB what line weight weight do you fish on the TN12 and Calcutta 400TE ?
Page  <1 2345>