Difference between braid and dacron?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between braid and dacron?
    Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 3:16pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am going to be spooling up my new reel (once I decide on which one to get) with braid or dacron before topshotting it with mono to get a bit more capacity on it and so that you only need to replace the topshot once in every while instead of the whole spool of mono.

I have heard of quite a few guys using dacron and others using braid, my question is what is the difference between them if any difference at all?

If there is a difference, which would be more suited to LBG fishing.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 9:22pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

firstly I'm not too sure on the differences either so keen to learn on this. From what I know dacron is hollow and was pretty common in the past but now the superbraids seem more popular. I only use dacron for windon leader joins.

In terms of spooling I'd be going with some Spectra - I think Pauls Kites do some good deals on it and then topshot it with 150m of mono. The key however is the join between the two as you dont want the braid to cut through the mono. Theres a few good ways to do this. WIll wait for LBGer to post up some details as he's more clued up than I am.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 8:57am
JonnyBlaze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Fishslayer Fishslayer wrote:

I am going to be spooling up my new reel (once I decide on which one to get) with braid or dacron before topshotting it with mono to get a bit more capacity on it and so that you only need to replace the topshot once in every while instead of the whole spool of mono.

I

Heya you should still replace the line off the whole spool especially if you are going to have braid on first as it will hold water in the spool leading to corrosion. 
Dacron has specific uses but not really for what you are doing (land based?).  Its really good for backing on trolling reels and for making wind on leaders but is not that thin compared to a spectra braid so not good for jigging, casting etc and its really a expensive option.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 10:11am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Braid is woven Polyethylene fibres and is very thin for it's breaking strain.

Dacron is woven polyester fibres and is thinner than nylon for it's breaking strain but not as thin as Braid.

Braid generally overtests when it comes to IGFA tensile testing. Dacron is availbale in many brands and tests inside IGFA line class limits.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2007 at 5:37pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Fishslayer - as the above alluded, braid is hard to stay within IGFA. If that doesn't worry you, then use braid.

I connect my braid to mono by using a hollow sleeve of braid. I take a 2 metre section of hollow braid and feed the mono into it. I use darning needles to open up the braid by pushing it through, first. Then I feed the mono in after rounding the end with emery board.

The braid is inserted by threading onto a needle and feeding it into the braid until it meets the mono. I then use a special superglue to seal the connection.
When it's done, you only know the change by the change in colour. There are other ways you can make quick-change top-shots.

I get my hollow braid from the States at ringedhooks.com
http://ringedhooks.com/
I use the Jerry Brown 80 lb for mono from 15 kg to 100 kg and the 130 JB for above that. I also use FINS PRT IGFA rated braid from Cabelas.

This may seem complicated but it's easy to do, with a little practice and once you have the kit, you can do heaps of connections.

PS - the JB super glue comes in 2 parts - an activator and the glue. You put on the activator first, then the superglue. My superglue went gluggy after 4 years and I used the activator and Warehouse superglue and it worked just fine.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. This area seem a lot more complicated than it really is.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2007 at 10:23pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thanks for that Roy, helps me out too buddy
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 1:42pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Fishbait. you can make your method a whole lot easier by using dacron for the joing sesction and just putting an over hand knot at either end of the dacron. Works great for lines up to 24Kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 8:10pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not as slim as the hollow braid, but will give that a try.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken