Competitions

Page  <1234 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 10:56pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have just returned from the prize giving of the Oakura Kayak fishing Classic    

As an observer let me say that this club did a fantastic job to run this major event with lots of prizes shared out among an impressive number of entries who brought in some equally impressive fish.

A job well done guys and ladies

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 7:12pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh yes great job and a great weekendClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 8:57pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Congrats to the naki team for hosting a great fishing comp..Clap

Next year could u add a new rule, that all Spot X'S be revealed at comp..LOLLOL
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 9:33pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The weather was going to be a cracker for the comp and many yak fishers entered the comp in the last week . Friday nights registration saw more late entries bringing the total number to about 65 and while waiting for the briefing, secretive plans were whispered as teams were formed. False times and spots were mentioned to put possible followers off the trail.

I hit the sack at 12.30 after inputting data into the computer and running tests to ensure that all would run well at the first weigh in. I was up again at 3.00. Our leaving time had been brought forward an hour to 4.00 as a few yak fishers were hot on the trail of our spot. Others took a more laid back approach and arose at 10.00 (probably due to the fact that the previous night had been spent testing beer to to confirm that all glasses tasted the same)

We arrived at WC at about 4.45 and critiqued the situation, however the ute headlights beamed onto a surfless sea. Car parks were at an abundance as the the other yak fishers had underestimated the eagerness of Team Naki.

We paddled for about 1/2 an hour with our head lights parting the dark, leaving a halo around each yak. At this point we were discussing the possibility of a team name change to "The Fucarwee Tribe" as all you could hear above the sound of the paddles cutting through the water was "where the fu*k are we". Wondaboy assured us that we were on the correct course according to the GPS. "Just head for that star". "Do you mean the one that's moving" I exclaimed. This didn't comfort me, as with my eye sight being not exactly 20/20, even with my head light, I couldn't see much past the end of my yak and the only way that I was going to find the buoy was to hit it.

The shout went out "it's over there". Shortly afterwards anchors were dropped and and the days fishing began. The morning proved to be bounteous with Team Naki binning snapper up to 15lb and a spattering of gurnard and Kahawai thrown in.

We packed up at 1.00 as I had to be back in time to set up the computer for the weigh in.

We arrived back at the beach only moments before the Taranaki Terrors. The show and tell began and even though the Terrors were, as some considered, the best dressed,

Team Naki brought home the bacon and took out the bragging rights.

Adam with a 14.5lb snaps

B*gger, these 15lb pannies aren't going to be big enough

The scales clocked our biggest snapper at 7.22kg, followed by a 6.745kg, which left us 2nd & 3rd consecutively behind a 7.57kg snaps landed by Aaron Farley of the BBK Local team. Team Naki were at the top of the teams leader board, with the Taranaki Terrors trailing by 100 points and closely followed by the Naki Boys. A total of 162 fish were weighed in on the first day, with kingis and John Dory to be the only species to be conspicuous by their absence. Most anglers had a beer in their hand, a smile on their face and a story to tell, in between secretively planning their next days adventure.

A succulent roast pork buffet meal followed and that in turn was followed by a well narrated and illustrated presentation by Mark Jones of the Adventure Philosophy team on their circumnavigation expedition of Georgia Island. Thanks very much to Peter and Bronie from Canoe & Kayak for organising this and for the rest of their sponsorship.

The night ended early for all, except those who still had organising and computer work to complete; Oh yeah and fish to attend to. (bags not doing it next year)

After hitting the sack once again at 12.30, I was soon awoken when the alarm radio burst into life at 3.00. We adopted the same routine as the previous day, however the paddle out was much quieter and less enthusiastic. The fishing was slower and pannies seem to be the order of the day. Squid played with our baits as they sank to the depths, with the odd one being hooked and binned. At one stage I was reeling in a pannie snap, when a squid shot up from the deep and grabbed my fish. Reeling in slowly, I grabbed the squid by the tail and threw it my bin. The irony of all this was that the squid, once the predator, was now in the bin to be used in future as snapper bait. The news had got out about our spot and it wasn�t long before another 5 yaks had joined us, including � of the compliment of the Taranaki Terrors. A fizz boat screams in and proceeds to tie up to the bouy just metres in front of wondaboy under a hale of abuse from the surrounding yakers. Unperturbed the boaties proceeded to send line after line to the depths and shortly showed the results of their catch, Adams anchor

A yaker paddled in from further out and we soon realised that it was Nubee with his new Marauder, with rods sticking out in all directions and a vibrant green flag flying at the back, it gave the impression that it was a float left over from the last Mardi Gras Parade. A commotion stirred behind me and I reeled to see Dogfish going head to head with a Mollymawk in a fight for his stray line.

One o�clock had come around, so it was time to head in with a lesser catch than the previous day; some pannie snaps, a kahawai or two and some gurnard.

Excitement was rampant back at the weigh in with rumours that a monster snapps had been landed. I weighed my fish and proceeded to punch data into the computer. Suddenly the noise of the crowd escalated as the rumours turn to fact when Andrew Wright from team Bucket slaps a 12.88kg snapper on the scales. �what a monster�. The smell of cooked fish wafted through the air as fisherman grilled their days catch on the Bar b Que supplied by Butlers bar & cafe.

Stephen Tapp also came in with a smile on his face, after landing a personal first with a 6kg albacore tuna. Well done!!!

With bellies full the prize giving commenced with Rodney Langton taking out the early bird prize, the Cobra Marauder going to Andre van der Eist (wookie), Biggest snapper at 12.88kg to Andrew Wright (joe90), john dory at 1.56kg to Jason Bond,  trevally at 2.91 to Roger Witts, gurnard at 1.03 to Derek Meyer, blue cod at 1.21 to Steve McEwen & kahawai at 2.65 to David Leatherby. No king fish were landed. Oh and yes Team Naki took out the teams event with 2025 points, one very small snapper ahead of the Taranaki Terrors. Many spot prizes were given out before the tired and weary anglers headed for a well earned sleep.

Many thanks to all that participated and to all that helped and a special thanks to all our sponsors.

Andrew with the winning snap at 12.88kg

Jason with a nice jony dory and some nice snaps

Aaron & bryce had a good day

Andre collecting his new Marauder from Peter from Canoe & Kayak

NM

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 10:22pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Brilliant NM and well done to all concerned. I'll get my a**e into gear for next year and by then should be educated a bit more on fishing!

Our Zane Grey Comp has been cancelled for this week end owing to the weather. Bugger, I was really looking forward to this event on my doorstep in the BOI. Rumour has it that it will be held at a later date, hopefully in the not to distant future. Would be great if you guys and dolls could come up for it. If not we will meet on the next one-wherever!

Again, well done to all of you, participants, organisers and especially you NM.
Cheers
Yak Fisher in Whangarei
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 11:19am
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great report NM .  I enjoyed your amusing comments LOL. I am still exceited about the prizes I won at the comp .  Used some of the soft baits at Motorua , the fish love the Nuclear Chicken.  Great comp guysClap
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 7:41pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's where the welly snaps went to! LOLExcellent report- hope I can make it next time.

Anyone know how the Welly contingent fared?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 6:35pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi sooshee A great event that was well sorted and organized - had some suggestions to improve on re weighing times and  more facilities for the campers etc.
I had some very good success with 6 Snapper weighing in around at 4.5 kg and downwards but mostly in the 3.9 kg range - still nothing like the sevens and twelves that were being hauled up - the poor old yak bin was choker with those snapper and two KW  - we let a lot of snaps go as well as we where competing for weight, as part of the Team Snapper Slayers - our team ranked third in total weight - I should have headed back to WC on the second day but opted for a paddle directly straight out to the 29 metre mark at Oakura beach after breakfast.
Meet up with  Rainbow on the the first day - he found me at a spot  km out  in the WC area .   After leaving on Monday for AK I eventually found my way up to the Bay of Islands and put in one days fishings as the weather as about to turn it in hence the Zane grey comp being post pone-d  - was pissed of but it could not be helped.

So all in all I reckon I will be heading back to the Naki for a feed of snapper soon.

Thanks to all those that put in to organizing such a good event!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 9:09pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

nice report NM and awesome pics.

does anyone know when the Zane grey comp has been resheduled and does anyone know how many numbers were going to attend????

regards ERik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 10:05pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Erik
Well I to was entered into the Zane Grey Comp and gutted that it was cancelled. It is rumoured that it will be held on the Queens Birthday week end-June 5th???? Not sure about the numbers though 
Cheers
Karl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 4:25pm
Tangles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 4:32pm
Tangles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All

Please see above for new details on Zane Grey tournament
Sorry for the format but you can print I believe
Yes I was p......d off with the weather too believe me!!

Cheers hope to see you there
p.s approx 25 were booked
so be in quick   Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 4:46pm
Tangles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Note ammendment please
The dates are 2, 3, 4th June
Zane Grey kayak tournament  Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 5:08pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cant read even after printing! Is it on a website mate???
Cheers
Karl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 5:30pm
Tangles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry I will get it on the Zanegrey.co.nz web site asap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 6:07pm
Tangles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Zane Grey Kayak Tournament  Clap
Otehei Bay Urupukapuka Island
Bay of Islands

Queens birthday weekend 2nd 3rd 4th June 2007

Contestants to meet at Opua Marina car park
0930 hrs Saturday 2nd June
Transport for kayaks will be via fullers car ferry
departs at 10am sharp
Contestants transport via Trident and Deep 6
Departures at 10am and 11am from opua marina

A briefing and safety check at 1200 hrs 2nd June at the Zane Grey Resort

Saturday 2nd June Day 1
Start fishing by shotgun start in Otehei Bay at 1300 hrs
Stop fishing at 1700 hrs
Must return and weigh fish by 1800 hrs

Dinner and fun at 1930 hrs
accommodation and meal provided

Sunday 3rd June Day 2
breakfast and lunch supplied
Start fishing 0530 hrs
stop fishing 1630 hrs
Must return and weigh by 1730 hrs
Prize giving and dinner at 1930 hrs

Monday 4th June Day 3
Transport to Opua departs at 1000hrs
Trident and Deep 6 depart at 1100 hrs
End of tournament

Prizes and categories remain the same
General safety rules and checks remain the same

2 for 1 deal now applies
$245 all inclusive for 2 people or
$110 each  self catered

The contestants that registered for the early bird prize are still registered and prize will still apply.

Any contestant can spend total weekend at resort by booking the Friday night ASAP
but must make there own arrangments for travel

"Zane Grey Resort and Adventures" apoligise for the postponement but......hey we cant help the weather!

We look forward to your participation.

Limited to 150 entries
To book or register please email or phone
0800 400 430

Yours sincerly
Trent Boult
Operations manager
Zane Grey Adventures Ltd

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 7:31pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Tangles

thanks for the info

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 7:43pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Trent
Can you please confirm the following-thanks

Dinner on the 3rd is inclusive

On Monday morning we take care of our own breakfast(s)

$245 2 for 1 deal, so what does a single entrant pay is he/she is "Billy No Mates"????? Still $245 for being a sad person I trust!

Is it possible to post what the entry requirements are for Safety Equipment etc etc (would hate to think that the Naki boys came up and got turned away because they did not have their passportsWink)

Cheers
Karl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 7:46pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Forgot to ask, whats the score re accommodation???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 9:13pm
Tangles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi

Saturday night dinner  BBQ
Sunday morning continental brekfast
A packed lunch
Sunday night dinner  BBQ
Monday morn Continental brekfast

Accommodation is first in first served for beds in cabins then  tent  you provide
All inclusive

Saftey rules are as follows

Should have some experience on the sea
Must carry a anchor
Must carry phone,epirb or vhf
Must have saftey line to paddle
Must wear life vest at all times
Must have nav light if leaving before dawn
Must carry a small first aid kit  (plasters )
Start fishing from resort only
Must be registered ,sign out and sign back in to tournament base
Must carry whistle or flare
should be able to swim 100 mtrs un-aided

The rest will be spelt out at briefing

We are trying to make a very safe and fun tournament for all to attend in a paradise for kayak fishing
In the future we are trying to make a series of tournaments for kayakers
where they can fish 1 or several tournaments, then be in to win the major overall kayaker trophy or such idea.
This will only happen if kayakers from around the country and Auckland get together and make it happen by attending such tournaments. 

Hope to see you there
any further questions I will try to answer
Thanks Tangles  Clap
Page  <1234 8>