What I Bought Today

Page  123 393>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What I Bought Today
    Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 1:18pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

In honour of Canadian John and all those other fishos who's wives don't give a rats backside about any fishing gear puchased, this thread is the "What I bought Today" thread.

What I bought was a rapala CD 18 lure, a paravane to set it at various depths, new rod holder and Mark Kitteridges book on Kingfish. Not very sexy, but new fishing toys always push my buttons.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 1:20pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bender, that kingfish book is a good one... well, me thinks so. The spine on my copy is splitting because I read it so bloody much!

How exactly do paravanes work???
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 1:41pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

The are the opposite of a kite - they go down under the water - you can run a lure out the back on a rubber band, similar to a downrigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 1:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

KSI ..i thought you would know this one! You burley up off the rocks and when a big kingi goes cruising by you scone him with it. If you tie it on to your fishing line you can retrieve the paravane too.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 2:26pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

paravanes are bloody fantastic for attracting fish also - albacore fishing off manakau we lost 3( white ones)  in 2 hours to fish that we never saw (2 in 15 mins breaking crimped 250lb mono) so we changed to red and we still got it and it catches albies better than anyother lure we towed, i reccomend that if you want a cheap attractant get some. I know iill be towing them all season.
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 6:24pm
tonto View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

have to admit I have fished with Mark Kitteridge and I did not find him the least bit sexy!!!!!

but the bugger catches fish alright.

I learned more in 3 days from watching  him catch fish than I did from  the previous 3 years.

he has a great way of rigging livies, bridle rigged with circle hooks... deadly!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bjocque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 7:04pm
Bjocque View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hmmmm paravanes?? can't have to much stuff in a tackle box - how do the ????? work - look like a wooden boat hull with two angled wings on the side - saw them on geoff thomas something or rather - i think they wobble side to side and attract the fish up???????
FREEEEEEEEEEEE DOM; bugga, now i gotta get a job, anybody wanna pay me to go fishing lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bjocque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 7:09pm
Bjocque View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

"What I bought Today"  well saturday (confirmed bachelor)

ummmm hook honing stone, diamond knife sharpener, 3x rocky rod holders (cos i know i'll lose one somewhere) and some black magic balloons/clips kit - save me having to use the gloves from work

must admit it gets some strange looks setting out a livie under a inflated white 5 finger salute

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 7:21pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

parravanes help catch fish by taking the lure deeper than the surface, most have extra holes to help run them at differant levels and even extra holes to make them run out to one side of the boat so two or more can be run at once...... the little orange plastic one that sells for about $10 is good for a lot of smaller fish like Kahawai Bonito Alberts Kingfish and i have even caught snapper using them..... but to be fair not a lot of people use them now but they do work if you only use a small lure attached as they are made to flip over once any weight is added and head for the surface, this is of cause if you tie the trace from your lure direct to the paravane which is how these cheepo ones are used........

a good lure to use is a T spoon cut the handle off and bolt a hook to the spoon part drill a hole in the other end and attach a split ring and swivel tie you trace to it and hook this up to your parravan or even a peice of white plastic cut to the shape of a 30gm jig you would be suprised how well these things work........

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 1:13pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Lethal, you have a thing about destroying perfectly good cutlery!

The paravant I bought has the tow line from the top in the centre, so hope it won't turn over. I'm really trying to gain the same effect as a downrigger without spending a grand.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 1:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Can anyone post a pic of a paravane for me?... I think I know what one is but aren't 100% sure and I can't exactly explain it.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 1:28pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

take note of the adjustment holes at both snap swivel locations Si......

A lot of people I know use "Diving Boards" or " Trolling Weights" when using a bungy line for bait like skippes, alberts and kahawai.
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 1:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Kerren. Thought that was what they were! I've seen them on the back of commercial fishing boats... I've heard they attach them to the net cables to help hold the net open... is this true
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 1:35pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeppers....

http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/seabirds/danielsolander.html

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 7:32pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought 4fish. 2 hot dogs 2 dim sims and $2 worth of chips
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2003 at 4:17pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Clip and marker buoy for end of anchor warp to enable me to dump it in a hurry (is there a theme coming through here).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2003 at 8:24pm
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bender,

The clip and buoy sound like a bit of me.  How much, where from and how to?  Please.  I always wanted one but don't have the room in the anchor locker - but a clip system - yeah!

Cheers

DA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2003 at 8:03am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Just bought a yachtin genoa sheet clip from burnsco and a small craypot market buoy - I have room in the anchor locker with 100ft of warp sittin gon top (and still plenty of room - that's what you get when you buy a Ramco, coz Bill Mackrell goes fishing all the time and knows how the little touches on a boat, like a decent anchor well, make all the difference to fishability. And I only have a 560, nothing big).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2003 at 2:52pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

How to: the warp runs through the marker buoy hole to the clip, which has a stainless ring. I simply tied a figure 8 knot in the end of the warp to stop everything falling off the end. Clipped it to the anchor well warp ring....and waited for the warm weather to get after some kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2003 at 3:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Just bought an icecream, Blue Fox 18gr 'herring' jig and half a doz Grey Ghost Estuarine #4 flies.
Page  123 393>