Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 373374375376377 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 3:54pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

where you going out? thinking about doing a cruise around somes island tonight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:33pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Took my 8.5 yr old son out on the water yesterday afternoon / evening on the Viking 2+1. This was his first time out fishing on a kayak with dad so I was quite careful to make sure everything was right. Took us about an hour to get ready and on the water! We eventually got paddling by around 5:30pm. He was a very good boy and very helpful with paddling and navigating to our spot with the handheld GPS. Anchored and burleyed up and wasn't long until we were into bites. First fish was mine a nice little Snapper. Whoop! Only there for 10 mins sweet. Daniel was getting bites but nothing sticking. I had another Snapper before too long. Was really hoping and praying he would get one too and sure enough he was on! His technique for bringing it in was textbook. So proud was dad. Lift and wind, lift and wind. Up pops a very respectable first Snapper for him and into the net. Yes!!! A bit of a lull in bites them Daniel's rod bends over big time. A 5min battle again with champion technique up pops a 7 gill shark to which he was very excited. Had to cut the line as it was a little fiesty. Next was me on with another small Snap. After that something very weighty takes off with mine. Feels very sharky and sure enough another seven gill . Much bigger this time at around 2m. Should have cut the line earlier as it freaked both myself and the boy out a bit. Could have said the S word as it slapped the side of the kayak with its tail on the way down. Bites slowed down considerably and caught another shark so decided to pull the pin.
Very happy with our outing. Daniel was stoked to be out and to catch one too. Great conditions. Can't wait to get him out again if the conditions allow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blazer60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:05pm
Blazer60 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very cool to share that with your young fella.
Regards,
Blazer60
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:26am
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Shame the sharks turned up...
All good that you took him out and that he caught a keeper.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:44am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kiwifred kiwifred wrote:

where you going out? thinking about doing a cruise around somes island tonight

Saw this too late obviousy but was pretty quiet in the harbour. My mate had 2 snapper and a flounder when I arrived but there were now boats whizzing past (including 1 which circled him and went between him and the rocks only to go a couple hundred meters to turn around and come back past him for a 3rd time) so I don't think all the noise would have helped.

Plenty of mackeral and kahawai though, small gurnard but no snaps this time.

-Nice work Jules, seems there are a few sharks in the bay lately. Last time I was there 2-3 weeks ago I got plagued from them as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Quick silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 1:36pm
Quick silver View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What's a good wind to fish puk bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:22pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome stuff Jules! My boy is the same age however i dont have a 2 + 1 yak & i dont think he would be that keen. Hmm few sharks around by the sounds of it Ouch

Quicksilver puk bay is ok with a nthly around 10kts or so & a sthly about the same strength. You do get better protection from the hills in a sthly though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 6:51am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Merry Xmas All,

Santa bought the best present! Flat calm water! Not sure Id be welcome home though if i snuck out today 😳

Might have to wait til tomorrow... Which looks good too. I hope the snaps are hungry 👍

Have a good one everyone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 8:43am
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice to see a few faces out in Puk yesterday. Managed to be on the water around 9am (change of tide) bit slow to start with but got 3 nice pannies for a feed. 
Some fat kahawai around giving the gear a good run StarSmile
Something took off at a great rate of knots on the other rod while trying to fight a kahawai on the other - kingi i suspect. It popped the hook once i managed to slightly tighten the drag.
Great day !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:24pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Planned to head out with the hoards as well on boxing day but left the paddle at home and went on a boat instead. Managed a bunch of blue cod and I got a kingi which was cool. Anyway enough talk of those noisy machines and onto yakking..

Shot out the harbour this morning to pretty nice conditions.

Tonne of kahawai and mackeral around, tried live baiting but could only forsee a big tangle comping up as he wouldn't leave the side of the yak.

Managed a few snaps, couple keeper gurnards and a couple others released.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 10:38pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work Ants! Great feed there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 10:18am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one Ants. a good feed there!

i shoulda done harbour yesterday too but decided to try and make amends for a poor effort last sunday at puks. pretty much did a repeat of last week yesterday...came home snapperless and having lost 6 traces to big fast fish some (if not all) of which were thresher sharks....i end up leaving once i could see a few circling under the yak! sitting in a pool of fresh ky blood in my yak prob wasnt a great idea! they go super fast when hooked...gd fun but not so good on the gear or them😳

saw Dan hook into something big and fast too. mate that reel was screaming!

think ill stick to evenings out west. have been doin really well on the snaps until tryin mornings. anyone else notice the same?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 10:32am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great TR Davo. Jeepers tho😯 circling sharks!!!! Mate. I was the lone Fisher out there this morning at Puks.No one else wad crazy enough! Wind was around 10kts onshore and very lumpy. Was getting a little worried that I was going to get tipped in by a rogue wave so pulled the pin after an hour with only one noteable bite! Oh well that's fishing. Should have slept in. Ps evenings seem to be best for me at Puks. Athough just come back from BOP and had a morning fish up there from the yak that was productive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 10:23am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

could there be a window to get out tmrw? place your bets now... weather forecasts are all over the place!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 10:54am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A Bob each way..... lol! Yeah hoping for more settled weather anytime now....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote manayakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:19pm
manayakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Guys

Am selling my Prowler Ultra 4.7 over on trademe if anyone is interested

Cheers Gareth

Trade Me Auction
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:57am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

picked up a couple of new spots i want to try out but this damn wind is starting to get to me again. went up to the BOP for xmas and only managed to get out once for no result. was hoping to get out on the weekend but looks like its going to be to windy again....might just go for a paddle 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:31am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kiwifred kiwifred wrote:

picked up a couple of new spots i want to try out but this damn wind is starting to get to me again. went up to the BOP for xmas and only managed to get out once for no result. was hoping to get out on the weekend but looks like its going to be to windy again....might just go for a paddle 

I know what you mean....I resorted to dusting of my surfcasters last night I was that desperate for a fish!!

Only to get to a spot 100m from the car, start setting up and realize both reels on the rods had no handles on them! LOL Borrowed one of my mates rods and fished a couple hours before we remembered why we bought kayaks LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Deeble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:25pm
Deeble View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have any of you guys fished inside the western ledge off Tarakena Bay? I had an evening drive around the coast tonight to at least see the water during yet another NW gale and it looked like a nice sheltered spot to try in more pleasant conditions and some interesting terrain further out for a calm day that looks very kingyish on navionics. 

I also spied a few other potential spots that also looked fairly well protected from the North too like on the sand behind breaker bay too. I'm keen to try and locate a few spots that can be fished in moderate N - NW winds when the west coast isn't on.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 1:44pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Deeble Deeble wrote:

Have any of you guys fished inside the western ledge off Tarakena Bay? I had an evening drive around the coast tonight to at least see the water during yet another NW gale and it looked like a nice sheltered spot to try in more pleasant conditions and some interesting terrain further out for a calm day that looks very kingyish on navionics. 

I also spied a few other potential spots that also looked fairly well protected from the North too like on the sand behind breaker bay too. I'm keen to try and locate a few spots that can be fished in moderate N - NW winds when the west coast isn't on.  

Not a yakker here but still...

Have fished off the edge of West Ledge a couple of times, it's meant to be pretty good for Blue Cod but I've never caught much there. The sandy bottom actually gets quite close to the rocks and when you get on top of the foul there can be a lot of kelp. Also very surge-y with a bit of swell.
I've had some good fishing on either side of Barrett's Reef too.
In a N/NW we often fish out of Owhiro Bay, dunno how much of a paddle it would be to get out of the reserve. Lots of fairly sheltered little reefs in 15-30m that are usually pretty good in up to maybe 15kn, just watch out for the odd washing machiney bit when you come past a gully that's funnelling wind down. The tide can really honk through there too.

As for the interesting looking structure around West Ledge... might just give that a wee nudge on Saturday morning.........
Page  <1 373374375376377 380>