Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 678910 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2007 at 1:34pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

question

why is it allways carp weather on the weekend??

monday brilliant no wind harbour flat as a pancake
tuesday as above
wednesday as above
thursday not as good but OK
friday getting worse
saturday windy and rainy
sunday as above
Monday  back to awesome weather again

been like this for the last few weeks.

thinking of changing my weekend to monday tuesday and working on sat and sunday

any ideas?

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2007 at 1:48pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kiwifred, it works like this....
Throughout Mon thru to Fri, there are more cars on the road as people drive to and from work. The moisture from their exhaust rise up to form rain clouds which finally burst on the weekends. On Monday, the cycle starts again.

In short I haven't got a clue.

LOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2007 at 2:15pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL

that sounds like a valid reason

doesnt explain the wind

might have something to do with a certain round building in town though

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yak'N It Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:00am
Yak'N It View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all Yakka's

Well the Capital city weather is do'in it to us again.Primo conditions again mid week to tempt us to pull a sickie. The weather isn't look'in crash hot for the weekend.....typical. I see there was a 7kg snap caught, by the Falcon Shoals area (Wgtn Harbour) last week. Thats an area where I fish often with succees. So there should be a few more turning up especially in September, so get 'em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:17pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so where is this falcon shoals?? be keen to go for a fish there if the weather sorts itself out

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:44pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Erik,

Look at http://www.centreport.co.nz/publications/marine_infosheet.pdf page 5 for the Falcon Shoal Beacon.

I've never fished there but have heard that you need to be wary of the ferry going through the area. I guess you should be fine on the west side of the beacon.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:48pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for that

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yak'N It Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 10:14am
Yak'N It View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sooshee is correct, at times you have to dodge the ferries.You can launch from Seatoun or north @ Scorching Bay you'll see a red marker pole. Take a line south from this to Seatoun wharf and you will cover over some foul ground. This is worthy site to put in you favourites if you don't have it already, to check on harbour conditions........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 5:43pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi guys

thanks for that will have to try it soon

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 7:13pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

anyone get out over the weekend???

i went for a paddle this afternoon at about 2:30pm headed out to somes. was a little lumpy with the southerlie but ok and the wind died out after an hour so it all flattened out pretty good. was pretty much dead low and a few rocks exposed that i hadnt seen before and all covered in huge mussels. also shallow enough to see paua on the floor in places but generally looked to be undersized ones. two seals over there today and also looked like the yakity yak club was out. passed them on the way out. about 6/7 people. lots of boats around and divers still frequenting the island.

really notice the days getting longer with the sun still out at 5pm when i got back. took the camera and took a couple of pics of the seals and the shag colony on the small island north of somes lots of chicks.
never really noticed them there before 

thats about it hopefully the weather is going to get better now spring is approaching

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 9:07pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi guys, i'm almost back! Am actively looking for BOB-TWO, natural reaction is a swing but i'm interested in any feedback re the marauder? or any other new cruiser-class boats out there I should know about?

Cheers, N

Cheers, N
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 9:10pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I knew you would be lured back to the darkside Nodrog. Keep us posted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2007 at 4:37pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

weather looks ok for tomorrow. more afternoon with the wind supposed to be dying down. will get out and have a look first thing and make a go of it if its ok. will probably put in at eastborne and have a look around ward and maybe pop across the channel to the falcon shoals and/or kau point

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2007 at 9:01pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do not know where that wind is coming from - must be AK !!! it's never windy down in Welly --- ha ha -  dam it was blowing a gale today, can't make it out tomorrow - goto sort out some stuff on the home front Dam. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 12:16pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

popped out this morning and had a look and it was flat calm with no wind. thought to myself cool and flat enough to take my boy out. rushed home got ready and headed out. change of plans with the boy on board headed for soames isl. halfway there the wind started to get up but can shelter on the south side so no biggy. got there and set up. wind was swirling round so was drifting around a lot. after about half an hour thought the wind was getting to strong so headed for home into a head wind the whole way. white caps everywhere and the boy was loving every minute as we were crashing through the waves and taking on heaps of water. the good thing was the waves get smaller the closer you get to shore finally got back and the both of us were soaked with the spray and waves washing over the yak. looks like the weather forcast got it a bit wrong. was supposed to be not much wind with it dying down in the afternoon.

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 6:35pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have Swing, Will Fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 6:42pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nodrog nodrog wrote:

Have Swing, Will Fish
You're not having Bob back Smile.

Seriously, if you want to borrow him for a fish, you are most welcomed. He is sitting in the garage a little under-utilised at the moment (roll on summer!). I must warn you, Bob had a bit of "Doctor 90210" done on him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 8:21pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi sooshee, bob is safe, Jim at C&K Ngauranga fixed me up with a new one today. jellybean green and yellow, let the modification commence!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 12:54am
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey there, went out for a land based fish today and man was that wind unpleasant - froze my nuts off at minamura pier. Both windguru.cz and the metservice.co.nz sites were way off on their forecasts. Is that just the norm for wello or is there more accurate forecasting somewhere else?
Anyway managed to get 2 spotties and a blue cod on a plastic :P which was a nice break in for my first NZ session.

Cheers
Peter

ps will have the yak sorted weekend after next.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 8:51pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

went out today as the weather was ok. headed for somes to shelter from the wind but no joy and to top it off nearly got run down by a nosy launch which changed direction to come over and see me and nearly swamped me with there wash. so up anchored and moved off to bluer water and was promptly into kahawai just kept the one for a feed as they all were a bit on the skinny side. the one i kept went 2kg. noticable that they are lacking condition as the fight was short and not much in it and no trouble with the light gear. got back just on dark.

must be just about time for another gathering of the Wellington Kayak Fishing Club to discuss some get togethers etc. I will drop in at canoe and kayak and have a chat with Jim and Andy to see when he next meet is planned for and will post it when i know

Regards Erik
Page  <1 678910 380>