Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 56789 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 10:12pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Wingy, welcome to the forum. I think you need to get to a certain number of posts (35???) before you can upload pictures. I don't go too far myself- never venturing more than 500m from the shoreline, and normally <300m. One of these days I need to hook up with kiwifred for a paddle to Soames lsland.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2007 at 8:44pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

whats everyone doing this weekend??? anyone heading out at all? might head out on sunday but the weather looks like carp

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2007 at 9:28pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i see slab is a published photographer now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2007 at 10:40pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

well i didnt get out on the weekend as it was a bit chilly. even for a paddle so stayed at home by the fire. popped out first thing on sunday to see what the weather was doing and the southerly was just a bit too cool for my liking. nice surf on petone beach but didnt fancy getting wet with the wind chill down low. maybe this weekend but sunday is not looking that flash again. will have to see on the morning again

Erik

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 5:34pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kiwifred, are you welly guys getting softLOL
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2007 at 6:58pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nodrog nodrog wrote:

i see slab is a published photographer now

I see you are famous nowLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2007 at 7:02am
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi sooshie - not me, its the boat!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 8:46pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah

If any one is interested check out the pic 0n pg 104 of the fishing news. Its Nodrog on his old and Sooshees new kayak Bob.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 5:40pm
wingy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello out there can some one please tell me what is the fishing like up at coromandel looking at saying at amodeo bay hope fully be up there in september ?? what kind of fish are about that time of year up there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 7:54am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

got out on sunday in near perfect conditions once again. flat not even wind ruffle on the water. a bit cool but hey its winter. headed to my usual spot with not much luck so did the circuit around soames trying at various spots. lots of divers and boats out and about with the east west ferry getting very close at times. had lots of little cod on and was just about out of bait when i started to score legal blue cod. so headed back with a feed after about 5 hrs. well worth the day on the water.

question. with the weather being a bit cool at the moment its probably a good idea to wear something on my feet. any recomendations ? what does everyone else wear? was thinking of 6.5mm dive boots but tere are some mukluk kayak boots on trademe as well that look ok

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yak'N It Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 4:18pm
Yak'N It View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Kiwifred, I just use dive boots and they work fine down here in Welly. Keep feet toastie. Come summertime I do take them off on hot days, but be careful on those sunny days.Sunburnt feet isn't very pleasant. Kiwifred do you use a F/Finder as there is a deepish hole at the back of Somes about 200 metre out from the southern point. Easy to spot on the harbour bathmap. Produces gurnard & tarakihi their, with shoal snapper in early summer. Red cod would be abundant at this time of year as they are in plague proportion at the moment everywhere I've fished thus far. If you don't have a F/F I would recommend getting one in your arsonal as a must. The more you learn to use it your catch percentage goes up 3 fold.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 12:23pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

havent got a fish finder yet but it is on the list of must haves. i have heard of the hole at the back of soames and not found it yet. havent seen many red cod either. do you keep them or throw them back? a couple of guys i have spoken to reckon they are a bit wormy.

probably going to go with the dive boots at this stage

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yak'N It Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 4:40pm
Yak'N It View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Even tho some red cod are of big proportion(3kg) I throw them all back as quick as I catch them.Most of my fishing is on anchor, except when wind against tide. I will follow & sound the berly trail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Markus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 10:40am
Markus View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi All

I took some time out from work yesterday for a paddle and fish over to Soames Island launching off Petone beach near the boat club.

Sea was smooth and temperature quite warm for this time of year. I landed a reasonable blue cod while trolling with a lure.

I had recently purchased a Lowrance fishfinder so wanted to give that a test run. I will need to do some refinements to it though, as I got the depth readings OK, however screen was "peppery" and did not get any structure on the screen at all.

Anyway it was a good workout and not having to think about work for 1/2 a day was definitely a bonus.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 7:50pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi markus

you should have given me a bell.. was feeling a bit sh***ty at work yesterday and was looking for an excuse to go for a paddle. maybe next time . probably going out on sunday again will try ward island again and maybe pop across the channel to Kau point

anyone looking at heading that way give us a bell

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hard yakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 11:13am
hard yakka View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hey all,

Just thought i would let you know about an item on Trade me. Its a portable hand held fish finder with a real dot matrix screen. It�s just perfect for kayak and dinghy fishing. Search by "Member name" then "Stoke2"

Keep fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 11:43am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by hard yakka hard yakka wrote:

Hey all,

Just thought i would let you know about an item on Trade me. Its a portable hand held fish finder with a real dot matrix screen. It�s just perfect for kayak and dinghy fishing. Search by "Member name" then "Stoke2"

Keep fishing.

Welcome hard yakka & well done on the hard hitting entrance.
Join up, post 5 identical posts on 5 different threads in 5 minutes sure should get you noticed.LOL
Hope you don't mind me adding it "just once more" in case nobody notices that you have a fish finder for sale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hard yakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 11:48am
hard yakka View Drop Down
New User
New User

sure do. want one? or two? Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 4:13pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back on track......

I paddled out this morning from Evans bay, past the point, along Oriental Bay, then across to the container port. I did the baitless thing, preferring to troll a couple of plastic lures. But there was not a single sign of life on the sounder at all. I did manage to hook up on a red cod and a 30cm warehou, both which were returned. It was the first time I caught the slimy (but tasty) warehou on an SP. Those things can slime you real bad. I had trouble hanging on to the paddle after the encounter Dead.

Anyway, it was nice calm morning to spend 2.5hrs on the water although it did get a little choppy on the way back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 9:22pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

didnt get out again this weekend saturday was good but kids sport came first again. thought sunday was going to be the go but got a bit windy so stayed at home doing things that need doing. hopefully this weekend is a bit better and can get out

Erik
Page  <1 56789 380>