Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 45678 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 6:25pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Clarence

Hes 10  so still a bit young i feel to be out on his own yak. if the winds get up it could be a real bother for him.  thinking of getting a tandem and then we can use it as a family and untill he gets a bit bigger and gets a prowler of his own. LOL

a couple of the guys i spoke with yesterday as we paddled past had all had cudas on so i wasnt expecting much else

my boy was well impessed with there teeth and wants to catch another so we can get the skeleton and mount it in resin.

I really need to give these plastics a go soon

seems that everyone is doing ok with them

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 10:51pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Wello yak fishers,

I just got the all clear on a move to NZ from Sydney, and i cant wait to get out on the water there with some locals - if im welcome that is, you know, bein' an aussie AKFF'er and all....... Wink

Should be there in under a month, not sure what to expect weather wise but i'm pretty dedicated, 'till then i'll be enjoying reading your posts thanks.

Peter

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:54pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome tuco and good choice of locationThumbs%20Up. To pass as a true welly yakker, you have to spread mis-information that you can only catch redcod and barracoutta in the capital.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 10:12pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats not mis-information also been catching heaps of kahawai and blue cod Wink

welcome anyway tuco

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 12:53am
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hehe, well, i won't believe anything untill i see the photos.

Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2007 at 6:26pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

got up this morning to go out for my usual sunday morn fish/ paddle leaving from sladden park boat ramp and found the winds a little bit on the windy side. so waited around untill 10ish before i went out, hoping that the winds would have subsided a bit. didnt seem to bad so out i went. got to the road bridge and stopped paddling as the wind was managing nicely without the my help.
original plan was to head down to ward island and maybe drop a line there for an hour or so and then head for home (round trip of approx 18km or so google earth says) once i got out of the river and out to the marker bouys i had a change of mind as the wind was still pretty strong and i doubted the 9km paddle back into a stiff head wind was a wise thing to do. so i turned around and headed for home. took nearly an hour to do the 4km. but a good paddle all the same

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2007 at 6:47pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

heading out tomorrow at about 8am for a paddle and fish if its not to bad.. usual place sladden park. make a decision as to whats the go when i get out past the bridge.

choices are ward island for a paddle with some fishing as well or soames for a fish.

back in about lunch time or sooner if too cold

anyone want to tag along you are more than welcome

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 6:39pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

apologies if there was anyone ging to come out on sunday.. i got to Sladden park at about 7 45 am and found the gate locked so went down to the beach to launch. it was a bit chilly with ice on the yak from leaving it out overnight. also having the heaviest frost of the year didnt help at all. got ready and headed out to soames isl just on 8am had a lot of mist rising off the sea and the sun coming over the hills making for a spectacular if not perfect morning just a shame i dont have a camera to take with me . got to soames and started getting ready for a fish lots of bird action but nothing biting at all moved spots several times with the same result. several other yakkers out as well but only a couple of them fishing. lots of boats turned up at the island but didnt look like much was happening. so carried on around the island and headed back to shore at about 1pm after getting the kids to come down and meet me on the beach so they could have a paddle. apart from the cold first up it proved to be a great day out

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2007 at 9:06pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Must say you Welli yakkers are a hardy lot.    Don't hear much from the hibernators further  up north.

Keep on yakking

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2007 at 8:44pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to get out off Makara on Sunday. Great weather with no wind but a sneaky little swell pushed some tricky sets up.

Got rigged up ready to go with loads of passers by getting a kick out of the rig. Must admit I was more than a bit nervous launching with the audience watching and the swell building (maybe only in my imagination), started to wish I had parked up at eaither end of the beach not smack in the middle.

Got out with no drama between sets with a wee cheer from the friendly onlookers that had already said that they couldnt wait to see me get nailed.

Awesome once on the water, used soft pastics and got nailed by 4 full sized couta in 4 drops. All landed with the aid of no net/gaff, just dragged up into my lap........fu<k that they have serious dental wear and thrash around like a gypsy.

Dropped over for a limit of paua then proceeded to haul up uner size blue cod after under sized cod.

Just nice to be out in the break between such rubbish weather.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2007 at 8:07pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi slab
next time you are heading to makara give us a bell. be keen to head out that way for a fish etc

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2007 at 8:51pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are you actually keeping the barracoutas for bait/food or just tossing the buggers back?They aren't bad sport I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 9:53pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah, not keeping the snakes unless needed as puka bait. Big ones keep you honest on light gear and it keeps your eye in untill the summer fish turn up.

Eric, might headout to Makara this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 10:03pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looks like sunday is going to be ok weather wise. have too much on on saturday

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 10:51am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

went out on sunday afternoon and thought i would do something different. so headed off to Ward island. didnt fancy the paddle from my usual spot so went and launched at eastborne. after a quick 20- 30 minute paddle got set up and drifted for a while. plenty of bites but nothing of keepable size. had a visit from the water police in there inflatable and saw the police launch come back in from the straight with a boat under tow. a few sea kayakers out and plenty of boat activity but the fish have all dissapeared from the harbour so will have to maybe visit somewhere else. 

Erik 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 5:20pm
wingy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello every one im new here. the name is bruce. well my girlfrend and i have both got a fish and dive kayak we havnt had them long so we are still getting them set up. Jim and Andy from c/k have been a big help. went out on saturday to mahanga bay and kau point where it drops to 18 - 25 meters i was getting blue cod but only babys so i put them back but my girlfrend Jo she was getting some big red cod ive got some photos but dont know how to get them on here - sorry. love the kayaks it beats standing on the rocks have done that for years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 5:50pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Bruce

Welcome to the forum there are a lot of guys here who get out and about on a regular basis and have a wealth of knowledge regarding kayaking and fishing. if you have any questions then ask and someone will answer. I must admit i was a landbased fisher for years with not a lot of luck and immediatly got into fish first time out. as you are probably aware after talking to jim and andy we are establishing a yak fishing club here in wellington and regular outings are going to become more established. I go out pretty much every sunday and am more than happy to meet up with anyone for a fish

Regards Erik 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 6:03pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome to the forum Bruce - lots of great info on this forum

Cheers

nm
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2007 at 6:32pm
wingy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you Erik that sounds good but i have to let you know i dont go to far out i only have one arm and a artifical arm i find it a bit hard to padle in a head wind but im trying to get it right so may be later i dont want to hold you up if its long way to go. And Naki man well done in cambridge i will have to give that a go some time. cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 10:14am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Bruce

Big ups for getting out at allThumbs%20Up and the good thing about the yaks is you dont have to go that far

Erik
Page  <1 45678 380>