Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 34567 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Markus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 3:07pm
Markus View Drop Down
New User
New User

Well done Clarence - great photo does justice to the beautiful day. That curry looks mighty fine as well - not a bad way to cook the kahawai.

I haven't been out on the yak for a few months either due to a torn tendon in the arm. Was having a friendly wrestling match with the kids and forgot about the fact that I'm not 20 anymore and the kids weigh a hell of a lot more now.

Bloody frustrating checking out the forum and not being able to get out there especially when the weather has been so good. Anyway, my arm should be fine in a couple of weeks so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 3:24pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

got up at the crack of dawn today for a fish out at soames island. hadnt bothered with any prep as i keep all my gear in a box so just needed to pack the car and go.

wasnt as good as yesterday but still ok but a bit windy. got out to the boat ramp and set up and headed out via the hutt river.
once i reached the first marker bouy got the rods all ready and found out i had left the main ingrediant behind.....   BAIT

bu...r

with no sp s on board it was a good morning to paddle out and around soames island. there was a real nice yacht anchored up in the lee side but no movement so carried on. water was clear and had good visibility to the bottom
high point was creeping up to a sleeping seal and just sitting there about 2m away me on the water the seal on the rocks. saw another yakker out in a sea kayak and a few multi sports hugging the beach but that was all.

took the boy out as a passenger after lunch and it was like glass no wind no waves no swell. i could hardley see coming back in the glare off the water was so bad.

all in all another primo day in paradise

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 5:17pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes it was another beautiful day in Wellington today. I didn't fish but did a drive around Lyall/Island Bay. Spotted a couple of yakkers and wondered they were from the forum.

Erik, that was a bummer about the bait. Could have improvised with a few limpets/mussels off the rocks? I remember one time I forgot to bring a bait knife and had to cut my bait with a broken mussel shell Smile.

That "spot" you told me about on the phone sounds like a kingie hangout. We should give it a go one day with a livie/jig.

Marcus, sorry to hear about the torn tendon. Get well soon mate.

Cheers,
Clarence

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Markus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:30am
Markus View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi Erik,

I have been thinking about heading over to Soames for a paddle and fish - what boat ramp do you use to launch from - is this at Seaview marina?

Cheers,
Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 12:55pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi mark

no i use the boat ramp at sladden park. pretty much all it is used for is kayakers. when the tide is out its too shallow for a boat other than a tinny. has a channel that is narrow so no turning room for boats but ideal for yakkers. its about a 14 km round trip according to google earth but some real nice sheltered bays on the south side if the wind is from the north and if its from the south there is shelter on the northern side

I understand there are alot of blue and red cod over there

Is anyone up for a fish over the long weekend.

I only have soccer on sat morning so could be available for a few hours in the afternoon or all day sunday. nor sure of monday at this stage as my wife may be working

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:12pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all

for those that havent put there names forward for the wellington kayak fishing club there is a get together for a fish on wednesday night at Titahi bay at 6pm

there is also a get together for a fish on queens b/day monday at petone foreshore

also there is a meeting at the canoe and kayak shop for the wellington kayak fishing club on the 26th of June

but wait there is more

for those who are interested there is a SOT kayak course for a half day on the 17th june for yak fishers

if you want to participate in any of these evemnts please email [email protected]

or call in at the canoe and kayak shop at Ngarunga

Andy and Jim are the contacts

or PM me with your details and i will get you put on the list
if you havent recieved the latest email from C & K pm me and i will forward it

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:14pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PS

i will be going to the Monday and will also be going out on the sunday morning

Markus  might be a good time to do Soames Isl

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Volusian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 4:59am
Volusian View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi Erik .....

Best of luck in getting a Kayak fishing section started down under ....

All the best from the UK lads ..

keith
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 7:36pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quite keen to try a spot on the sth coast this weekend probably Sunday or Monday midmorng to catch the slack tide. All commers welcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2007 at 8:04pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keen to head out Owhiro/Island Bay again. Maybe we can meet up Slab. Any others?

The last time I was out there, 1/3 of the fishfinder screen was black with fish at one stage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2007 at 8:56am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

id be keen for sunday morning

where and when??

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2007 at 2:02pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a goer for tomorrow morning off Owhiro bay. Unless the swell sux it looks like Sooshee and I will be having a look out there at 7.30am for a few hours before the wind picks up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2007 at 7:50pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Looks like you Wellie boys are the only ones still going out.   Those further north must have gone into winter hibernation.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2007 at 8:20pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats because we live in paradise rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2007 at 10:57pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Erik, did you managed to head out this morning? How did it go?

Weather's starting to get a bit chillier, we'll just have to do a bit more paddling to keep warm.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 3:43pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all

Didnt get out yesterday as the southerlie was doing its thing.
went out this morning just after 7am with Jim from the Canoe and kayak shop. was supposed to be a KFC get together but we where the only 2 that showed.
starting to see a trend here guys.
Anyway we paddled over to soames isl and sat on the south side in the bay and did some fishing. lots of little blue cod (caught and released about 12) and some spotties. finally thought i had a legal one but it was a double, both to small so back they went. 3 nor 4 other boats out there fishing but looked to be doing the same as us.

headed back about 10:30 ish and went home without the tea for a change. the breeze was a bit stiff on the way back but the sea was ok

all in all another good morning on the water

Slab and Sooshe how did your morning go?

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 10:04pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Erik,

I met up with Slab at Owhiro bay this morning.
As you can see from the pic, it was relatively (deceptively) calm, with a moderate northerly.

Slab opted to use bait while I decided to go baitless. There were good signs on the sounder and while nearing a flock of birds,  I managed to land a 3lb kahawai on a bibbed plastic minnow.

Past 200m out, things started to get a sloppy, with the swell rising 1-1.5metres and we were exposed to the full force of the northerly outside the shelter of the bay.

After pottering about for a few minutes, we chickened out and decided to head back in closer. That's when things got a bit interesting because now we are paddling into the strong wind. Slab made very good progress while I had to struggle a wee bit. At one stage, I wound in the soft plastic I was towing to elimiate whatever drag it was causing but hooked another 3lb kahawai in the the process! This was promptly hauled in and dumped unceremoniously into the footwells because the wind was seriously pushing me out to sea if I didn't start paddling again.

The paddle out took about 10mins but heading back into the bay took me close to an hour or more I would say Shocked. In total, picked up 2 kys for my trouble and had a good workout. Slab had a few good hits but they did not result in any fish.

Going back on to the beach, a rogue wave turned me sideways and I had to do an unexpected exit from the yak Embarrassed. All in all, still plenty of fun despite the conditions and it was great to catchup with Slab.

Cheers,
Clarence

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 9:10pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Sooshe

yeah that wind can be deceptive allright. as we returned from soames on mon it was into the northerlie the whole way but it didnt seem to be that strong. only took just over 40mins to get back I guess the wind really funnels down happy valley road so would be quite strong by the time it hits owhiro bay. need to be real careful in the wind on that south coast

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2007 at 8:50pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

another picture perfect day in paradise again. had the kids sport this morning both at 10 am and 1 off sick so thought i would head out for an afternoon fish. I have a swim coaching course tomorrow so that rules out my usual sunday paddle/fish.

as it was such a good day and the sea was like glass i threw my boy into the back and headed out to soames isl. got there just after 1pm and immediattly was into losing bait to the spotties

moved around to the next bay and my boy was into a cuda.

so after not much more we mosied on over to a sleeping seal and then around to the next bay. nothing much happening here either just a few spotties and small blue cod.completed the circumnavigation of the island and started fishing aggain at our start point and my boy was once again into a better cuda about 3 ft long (ugly things)

after not much else we headed for home and got back to our launch point just on dark

all in all a very nice afternoon on the water with lots of activity all be it the small and not wanted varieties

saw 4 other yaks and a waka out there and lots of fizz boats

i have to say my boy has now got the bug big tiem and when he got home was wanting to look on trade me for a yak of his own

Erik 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2007 at 9:32pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff Erik. How old is your boy? Looks like he outfished dad today LOL.

I'm planning to head out from Ferg's tomorrow to introduce a colleague to yak fishing. Will dispense with the bait again as I have been having good success with soft and hard plastics. Sounds like the colder weather is bringing the cudas around. I will have to rig up some wire traces.
Page  <1 34567 380>