Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 375376377378379 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 2:22pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kahawai_guy kahawai_guy wrote:

Holy crap that was a good sized seven gill.  He was obviously attracted to the electric signals coming from your cam as well as the berley.
How far off the bottom was your berley pot xtreamz?

Yeah possibly - I think the camera may have had its red flashing recording light LED going as well so this could have also attracted it (often seems to attract trevallys).

It was about 1m off the bottom that morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 4:00pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone heading out tomorrow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:51am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah not me this weekend.

Good luck to anyone who makes it out. Here is the full length video from the other weekend when I got out. There was a lot more snapper that didn't make it to movie star status.

Don't forget to click settings and change the quality up as it auto-defaults to 240 Ermm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:15pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well i was all geared up to go to the naki classic this year and work rushed in and spoiled my plans. was going to be the first year i was going to take my son as well.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumati South Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:24am
Raumati South View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a paddle out from Raumati a couple of days ago. The sea was amazingly calm initially. A pod of dolphins came along for a ride for a while. Each time I stopped paddling to try to get a photo they lost interest and headed off. Not in too much of a hurry though. I got a couple of snapper and a nice trevally. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:24pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one RS! looks like a great trip out 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:11am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one indeed Raumati South. Very memorable trip for you. Thanks for sharing.
I had a window of opportunity on Tues afternoon/evening. Tried to convince 3 different buddies to come fishing to no avail. All good. Headed to Pukerua bay with high hopes of redemption as last week Dad and I went out in the boat and we couldn't stop catching Blind eels (6 of them would you believe!!!)
This time proved much much better! Not a lot of action for half an hour but the berley must have had good effect as they started coming.1st fish Snapper, then another, then a Trevally, Snapper, Snapper. Then a real string puller a nice fight with a probably legal Kingi-had no measure so popped him back just in case 😯 Some really nice Snapper started to show up with a few more in the back. A couple of Ky for the smoker came on board. Finished off with one last bait (he he actually said that a few ago-was getting quite dark and I was the only one out as far as I could see) and another Snap.
All in all the best fishing I have had in ages with hardly any waiting between fish. Felt very blessed but would have been even nicer to share the fun with others.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:13am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work RS and Jules! Gotta love it when the fishing is like that Jules. I havent been out since I saw you the other week and won't be out this weekend either Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:42pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,

It is looking highly likely that my wife and I will be shifting to Welly in the coming weeks and I am looking forward to exploring a new fishery.

Couple of quick questions:

Do many people use soft baits and micro-jigs down here for Snapper?

What tides seem to fish best?

Any recommendations on where launch from?

I'll be missing these calm sunny days and warm water Sick

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Blazer60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 7:01am
Blazer60 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Howdy, you'll be able to stretch your legs on that beast and head out towards Kapiti Island.  There are a mix of shingle and sand beaches to launch from.  Plenty of options around the Wellington Harbour, Makara, Pukerua Bay and further up from there.  Depends on what is convenient to you.  Mostly The latter two for me.  People use a mix I think, dead bait seems common though.  It's a great place to paddle, you wont go short of getting amongst the range of table fish.
Regards,
Blazer60
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:16am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome to Welly! Sorry there are no fish here so leave the yak behind in Auckland.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:25am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

....Just Kidding, we aren't that mean down here Wink

As Blazer said, Kapiti is a great place to hit with that Stealth, nice beach to launch off but be weary of the strong currents out there - maybe tag along with someone if you can. Where in Welly will you be based? Most people use dead baits but soft baiting has grown a little in the last few years here and certainly worth trying if that's what you're use to. I have witnessed plenty of decent fish being caught on softies and slow jigs etc.

Harbour/Makara/Pukerua all provide fishing opportunities with the West generally being better, but still people get great catches in the harbour. Probably a bit rocky-er terrain to launch off than what you are use to so may need to watch that with the Stealth.

I don't think about the tides (incoming/outgoing) too much as you will find spots that work for each tide. On strong tides through it can be honking through quite quick so be careful if not use to that especially if you are anchoring in it.

If you are on Facebook, have a search for 'Wellington Kayak Fishing Community' page as people probably see that more than here - chuck up a post when you're down if you want to tag along with someone and i'm sure someone will be glad to ehad out with you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:18pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Made the most of the weather opportunity window on Sat arvo and took a newbie out for a fish at Pukerua Bay which is still producing some nice fish. Ben (newbie) loved it! He has boat fished a bit but never off a yak so I was hoping he would get something to take home. There was actually 3 of us out there with mate Mike joining us after about 45mins.We were in a 10m radius of each other as Ben was tied off to back of mine. When Mike arrived It must have signalled the fish go button as Mike was into an XOS Gurnard within about 4mins! He caught another Gurnard about the same size, a pannie Snap and a larger Snap. Ben caught 2 very respectable Snapper a Ky and a few undesirables (couta) I managed a nice Snapper, a Trev, Ky, blind eel again! Seven Gill shark etc.
Was very nice conditions and I'm surprised there weren't many more people out. It was fun being able to talk with the others being so close and a fair bit of banter to be had. The photo is of my fish. Didnt manage to get one of the others catch. See yas out there real soon.... 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Jules and to your 2 mates. I was looking at the weather Sat hoping to head out but other things got in the way so stuck to my plan for Sunday.

Started a bit slow, on the water about 8am so not too early. Once the tide change I moved locations and then it pickup up a bit late morning. Managed 5 snapper and then a Trev which made a mess of my lines and broke the braid around the berley rope. Fishing felt like it was picking up but was time to head in plus the wind was picking up a tad.

Can't complain though, had plenty of fillets to take to the BBQ I was at that afternoon Big smile

I also had Mr 7-Gill hanging around, hooked him good once, think he took my strayline about 10 times and let go, then chasing my berley pot as I pulled it out of the water surface on two occasions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:14pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all! How has everyone's fishing been going of late? Looked like a stunning day on Sunday as I looked down at the Kapiti coast from the lookout on Paekakariki hill!

I just made 20L of burley after saving up bits in the freezer for a while. I highly recommend the pictured garden mulcher as it is 3/4 of the way to paying for itself in only 2 sessions of burley making!

Anyone heading out tomorrow morning (Wed)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:07pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice looking burley J75.  Supply and mulching not my problem - no electricity in the shed for the bait freezer. I'm hoping for a yak fish at Puks next Sat morning - if the weather forcaste holds ... lol ... a new cyclone is probably more likely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 3:12pm
Gold
Gold

Anyone want a free sink for a fish cleaning station? Must be able to pick-up this weekend from Lyall Bay. PM or Call 027-437-7905

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:19pm
Gold
Gold

So what is the pick for puks tomorrow? Morning or evening? I'm thinking late afternoon/evening but prefer an outgoing not incoming tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:59pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Headin to puks around 830am to catch the outgoing tomorrow.
If anyone wants to tag along most welcome.
Ill be setting up around the 1st set of loos chur- its been a couple of mths Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:44am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out on Monday, another successful session with 5 more snapper and a JD. Wasn't on the water til about 10am so only fished for about 3 hours.

Still hunting that new PB but getting closer..

Page  <1 375376377378379 380>