Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 374375376377378 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Deeble Deeble wrote:

Have any of you guys fished inside the western ledge off Tarakena Bay? I had an evening drive around the coast tonight to at least see the water during yet another NW gale and it looked like a nice sheltered spot to try in more pleasant conditions and some interesting terrain further out for a calm day that looks very kingyish on navionics. 

I also spied a few other potential spots that also looked fairly well protected from the North too like on the sand behind breaker bay too. I'm keen to try and locate a few spots that can be fished in moderate N - NW winds when the west coast isn't on.  

I've had Tarakihi in that bay before (close to the eastern side though. Also the odd gurnard on the western side drifting over the sand. I have been there on more than one occasion and come home empty handed as well however.

I've also fished on the West of Owhiro bay, outside the reserve. Parked at the end of the road and launched there and paddled out. First time was a couple 50cm gurnards and a blue cod, been there a couple times since though and didn't have that much luck (last time was november/december and only got 1 bite!!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:30pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Family and I headed up to Otaki for a spot of shopping for wifey. Passing Puk bay with a very nice looking sea. I was pleasantly surprised, having seen it the previous day rough as gutts and wild as a wild thing. Heading back south from our trip passing the bay and was looking almost smooth! It was 4pm by this time and still had to get back to Upper Hutt, pack up fishing gear and yak and make it back to the bay with hours of daylight to fish in might be pushing it. What the heck. Let's do it! Made it to the bay by 6pm and on the water by 6:30pm. The sea was silky smooth by this stage and not the forecast 10kt NE winds.There were fish chasing fish on the surface everywhere the whole time i was there. Prospects were lookin good. Got to spot anchored / burleyed up and was around 5min and rod in holder was bent over big time. Felt decent but wasn't sure what it was. Didn't exactly feel like a Snapper but more sharkey but to my delight up pops a decent Snapper to start with 8lb 64cm model. Whoop! Stoked. Got another 3 @ 45cm and another 1 in the mid 30s. Plenty of Kahawai-kept 2 for the smoker. Hooked a couple of Barracuda that both launched themselves upwards towards the yak at a great rate of knots right at the end that got the heart rate going! Bait almost gone but Snapper still biting and very happy with my catch and a stunning evening to be out. Another amazing sunset on the west coast. Felt very blessed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:54am
kahawai_guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys, long time ...

Got out for fish Saturday afternoon .. got away with 10 Snapper, a KY and 1 Koheru after about 2 hours fishing.

I spent the next 2 hours catching and releasing snapper that were still on the bite when I packed it in.

Good session.  Suggest everyone grab the windows when presented, the fishing is good right now! :)

Will get a photo up later :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:59am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We'll done. Good haul in a short time. You are so right about making the most of any break in the weather! Btw where were you fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 2:23pm
Silver
Silver

Pukerua Bay 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:21pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice hauls Jules & kahawai guy!! Jellous as!
With not many weather windows i guess the stocks are holding well aye Wink
Pushing to get my concrete slab sorted for my new garage then its all on as it needs to set for a month. 
Cant wait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:04am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

weather is looking ok for tomorrow... any one have any plans?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:14am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice hauls fellas!!!

Been way to long since i've been out. Can't believe i've only properly fished West  twice this summer!!! The first 'mint' day a week or two ago on Sat when everyone went was my first weekend on-call for work since before xmas!! Angry

Look at todays weather though, what a cracker!! knocking off earlier to go give it a crack since im busy  tomorrow (which also looks mint!)

Probably jynxed myself by posting on here but with this weather I think i'll enjoy the arvo/evening no matter what happens!!

Good luck to anyone else heading out today/tomorrow, looking forward to the updates :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:45am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

All the best Ants! Sounds like you need some fishing therapy and well desrved. And look forward to your TR too!! Enjoy 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:43am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a bad night out last night.
A bit rougher than expected but was still fishable. Started with 4
Snapper in quick succession but all were too small (biggest about 30cm). Then got a nice Trev shortly later a bigger snapper in the bag. Had some fun chasing dolphins around which came up right to the kayaks!! Tried to get them on film but a quick check over it I think I missed them in all the excitement.

Anchored up for sunset and got 2
Kingfish about 70cm and a few more snapper. Total of 4 snapper and a Trev in the bag. Gave one medium snapper away so he's not in the pic to a mate who sat 5m away getting a couple congers and no snaps, couldn't let him go home empty handed. THey other two boys with us got some gurnard each.

Biggest one being 53cm.

(Blame the sun for the bad pic below)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great stuff Ants. Sounds action packed and very cool you were amongst dophins. Took the boat out this morn for a change. Very slow to start with but picked up around 11am at slack tide of all times. Got 3 Snapper, 2 Gurnard and plenty of Ky. Stunning conditions till around 10am and chopped up a little. Kayaks and boats as far as the eye could see!! Much prefer fighting fish from the yak!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
Rondo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool Ants I was worried the weather might not hold for you guys. Terns and shearwaters were doing their thing outside sunshine bay this morning Kiwifred  I picked up a nice fat little kahawai and a mack amongst them, almost went home empty handed... couldn't catch any till i changed lures to a 18g glow/silver   Nice to stumble across that wearing my polarized glasses for the first time, I could watch the kahawai dash past a few times.   Seen some workups during the week just north of the ferries too.  Hadn't noticed any myself until this week, I love that stuff. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:57pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah. Been a couple of big work ups by the ferry terminal this week. Had a quiet run in the harbor today and enjoyed fresh smoked kahawai for tea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:52am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was sitting down at Petone beach yesterday and saw a big workup of birds about 1km off the beach at the eastern end. was very tempted to go out but the wind was a tad blowy and it wouldnt have been very nice   lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 11:58am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out Pukerua this morning. Forecast was good with 8/10 at 10am. From 7-9am quite a strong offshore wind which was challenging. Anchored up next to my mate Mike and were in straight away in fact pretty much the whole time was bites and catching fish. Plenty of XOS Kahawai, the odd Couta and some nice Snapper. I ended up with 2 Snapper which I was happy with. Hooked some very heavy and fast fish (maybe threshers) as trace come back ragged. Mike bought a decent Kingi to the side of the yak and released. He also got a few Snapper and big Ky. Was a good morning. Bit of a slog paddling back but not too bad. How did you gey on Ants, Rikki and friend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 7:58am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Jules, good to see you out there.

We took shelter in close so fishing wasn't quite as good. A few kahawai and a gurnard for me and my mate, and a snapper and 2 nice trevs for Rik.

Went back out yesterday,to what swellmap called a 3/10....yeah right!! Was more like a 10/10!

On the water about 8.30am and first drop - 2 snapper, 2 ore on the second and 3rd drops too, it was all on! However, they were quite small, 20-30cm one but with that many biting I knew bigger ones must be around so threw them all back.

Bigger ones did start appearing including one about 60cm which I decided to release as was still morning so saves having him in the bag a few hours.

Probably caught my limit of legal snapper twice over, I was releasing anything under 35cm plus the biggest one of the day. Also released about a dozen undersized ones.

Took 6 home as that was more than plenty for me and to give a bit to family too.

Smallest snapper in the pics is 35cm.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:48pm
Silver
Silver

Sounds very busy xtreamz! I saw you hooked up to something nice on my way pass. That was at about 1:30pm .

My day was busy also but it was kahawai catch and release for the majority of the time with not a single snapper caught.

I landed 4 XL gurnard during that mahem and kept 4 kahawai for the neighbors. Called it quits around 5.

Nice day on the water even if the snapper were snobbing me this session.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:32pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice mate sorry didn't realise it was you! That was possibly that 55cm snapper as was around that time I landed him. Had a couple big takes which spat the hook though and a couple big cudas as well at that time.

Very odd you didn't get snapper, a yak a couple hundred meters away from me got his limit in the morning while at the same time another couple guys on the other side of me just got kahawai and gurnard, maybe all the snaps were on the reef who knows of only taking certain baits (fresh kahawai done most of the damage for me)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:58pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a quick preview of some of last sundays footage......I should really sit down and put the days footage into a full video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvGVk6QD3w

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:36pm
Silver
Silver

Holy crap that was a good sized seven gill.  He was obviously attracted to the electric signals coming from your cam as well as the berley.
How far off the bottom was your berley pot xtreamz?
Page  <1 374375376377378 380>