lures for albacore

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lures for albacore
    Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 6:27pm
Nikolaj Mathiesen View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What lures should we use for albacore. Have heard that Zest`s trolling blades should work. Are there any lures that will get Albies and YF?

Thanks
www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 7:00pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

purple 5.5Tongue
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 7:42pm
Silver
Silver

I didnt ask about your face colour and IQ, but very interestingCool

www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 7:55pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Our man Uncle from this forum makes a mighty little lure that i have used over the past couple of seasons and hasnt missed yet... most of the time we have to pull it out of the water because it just catches too many bloody fish.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 8:03pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hahaha, very good
iq is 5.6 ok!
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 8:05pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PM Uncle and get some of his small lures they work well
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 8:23pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are interested in chasing albies on light tackle, say 3-6kg, then rapala CD9's are dynamite, they also slow the fish down a bit quicker as well, as they usually scoff them right down there gobs.  If using heavier line then a CD14 is a good choice and the YFT love them as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 9:10pm
Silver
Silver

CD14 is that a rapala size? if so what colour?

Thanks for the help.

Mr. uncle, how about those lures?
www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 9:14pm
Silver
Silver

by the way.....

Have tried trolling for them at Mayor knolls but never hooked up. I did see a long vertical school of fish on the sounder and later heard that this is how albacore swims. Is this correct?
Where do i find albacore in the BOP?

A lot of questions I know...........
www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote campbellc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 9:25pm
campbellc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm no expert on albies but when we go out we go troll from the lab to the 150m line and just follow it down to behind the penguin shoals and then back theres usualy some fish there but like i said im not expert
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 9:36pm
mangre View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sea ferret, is a good all round lure 6 inch all rubber, catch's albies.
I know it caught a marlin on the weekend and a yft as well.
"But why is the rum gone?!"- Captain(!)Jack Sparrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 9:55pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Zuker 6" green fluro head, blue feathers (not straw) out the back of the wake. seems the business and outfishes the other dozen tuna lures i've got for albies. right in close up this way (60m) had a heap of them smoked by brett at Tairua Butchery last week - wicked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 10:02pm
Mark Edwards View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

..yes indeed, that was some fine smoked albacore sir...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 10:03pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Nik Uncle lives just down the road from you I can give you his phone no if you want. His Mac Skippies are good I will give you a hand to rig them if you go that way.

Ted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 10:14pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

use 3in-6in yo-zuri or zuker, point head( non poping). green\white or green\yellow, purple, pink\white or pink\blue. If you cant catch them on those they arnt there.
you can use the same lures for Y\F very sucessfully.
 rig lures with one 6\0 or 8\0 round point vmc kooks,
 10 ft jinkai trace, crimp sleeves-no knots. use only the right crimper for the sleve,
 hook in head of lure not in tail
albies like cold water 14-16 degrees,
if you are catching skippies its too warm for albies.
tie down lines as flat as possible, dont let the lures pop or smoke, tuna hate that smoke,
run lures close to boat, in ist and 2nd wave.
fun lures in the upslope of the bow wave
if you have o\riggers lower them right down and try a real short set in front of your wake, albies like to bow wave ride.
good luck, one more thing, net your fish if possible the have really soft mouths( hence round point hooks, triange points will cut their way out)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 11:06pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uncle's MacSkippys are great. PM him for advice as he sells lure to commercial guys. He reckons some of them get 1000 albies per lure. My fav is pink/blue.
For bigger albies, a small surface lure like a Pakula Zipper or micro Sprocket will do the job. Zuker zuchinni too is great in the small size.
Albie do school vertically, with the bigger ones at the outside. Mark the school and troll around the edges. It will move. Only troll as many lures as anglers as you can hook-up on every lure when you get it right. Use a net.
When you land one, put a slip-knot rope around the tail and bleed it over the side. See Rodholder's advice for yft.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 11:34pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thanks for the good words chapsBig%20smile
Here's a pic of a few lures,will have a look for some more later.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotowarriors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 11:52pm
Rotowarriors View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Strike me down Uncle, I never realised.
Hopefully get some spare time tomorrow to head out and buy a couple of your fine lures. Any recommendations?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 7:21am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A bit further to above reply. When you hook up an albie, mark the spot on your gps and troll back and around to find the main school. Once you've located the column, cut your motor and drop a jig, about 60-100 gm, they love it.
If you have a sp outfit try casting to the school, an albie would be a buzz on a light sp outfit.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 7:31am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mathiesen - CD 14 is the lure size, the best colour we found was the blue or green mackeral.

Roddholder - I don't know where you get this idea that albacore are only in cold water and if you are getting skippies you won't get albies.  I generally agree with this for the bigger ones, especially the winter run.  But having said that, my personal best of 20.4kg was caught off toots in March in 21C water as part of a double strike with the other fish being a 9 or 10 kg YFT.  Down off whakatane when the tuna are meatballing there are often heaps of small albies feeding alongside the skippies.
Page  123>