The Softbait Hall of Fame

Page  <1 45678 42>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 10:29am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome stuff Brownie.....good effort in that depth mate!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 11:52am
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers lads, if your ever up this neck of the woods feel free to give us a holla...plenty o room to pitch a tent at the beach(Whangaruru)...also chuck abit o plastic around the Chicks and Mokes with abit of success if your up here...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2007 at 1:15pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FISH: Snapper

DATE: 8th April 2007

ANGLER: Drew

CREW: Matt

BOAT: 4.2 Mac

RIG: Shimano TX 2000FB and 2pc 2-4kg Backbone, 4.5kg braid, 10kg mono. Alewife from Sharpie

Depth: 8m

Weight: 4.9kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 8:35am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats a nice photoshop cuz.Wink wicked color on him

Brown thats a hua of a snap. good work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 9:14am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ha ha. . . yeah, i caught the fish last year and chopped it into a photo taken at the Noises when i worked where RF does nowEmbarrassedTongue

You home tonight mate? or ya out lookin at Mudskipa 2's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 9:32am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Next time you put a photo up Keenas can you have a shave please? You're scruffyin' up the website. Either that or buy me beer
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 9:37am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you cheeky cold back havin sand drier. . .. .

Mac's?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 11:24am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Macs will be fine.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 11:14am
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FISH: Kingi

DATE: 21st April 2007

ANGLER: barneyc

CREW: Jack, Jim & ColinT

BOAT: Not a 12ft Tinny

RIG: Shimano Stella 4000 and 2pc Starlo Squidgy Spin, 10lb fireline, 24lb fluro leader.  Berkley gulp 5 inch pinky, 1oz 5/0 jighead

Depth: about 50ft

Weight: 8 and a bit kg

Fight time: 15 mins, my poor rod is only rated 4-6kg so can't crank the drag up much.  Jack had another exactly the same size but with a T-Curve it only took 5mins to land - definitely time to upgrade the rod to match the reel then.

full report elsewhere in SP forum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 11:31am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found this pic while cleaning up my Mac and thought may as well put it up here. (Referring to fish on right.) Was a strong fighting fish for it�s size. The bigger fish was caught on a pillie and literally the last bait of the day � Much to Ducky�s disgust.

Fish: Snapper     

Date: 16 December 2006

Angler: Finatic

Crew: Ducky

Boat: Ducky�s stabi

Rig; Shimano Sahara 4000 on Starlo Stix, 14lb Fireline, Gulp! 5� Lime Tiger

Depth: 25m

Weight: 6lb

Fight time: Under 5 minutes

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 7:07pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Angler: LEVCAT
fish: 8lb snapper
tackle: 8lb fireline, 20lb flurocarbon, abu cadinal 501, berkley dropshot 4kg, worm hook, nuclear chicken 5' gulp jerk shad.
Boat: moki 5, adventure fishing charters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grz Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 11:10am
Grz Lee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Man thats great, especially of the rocks! I did not know softbaits can be used of the rocks.

What Technique is used on the rocks?

Will appreciate the advice mate.

Grz Lee

I normally fish at Milford Rocks (Minnehaha street) just past Takapuna, but have not tried softbaits yet. Bought the gear, but the weater is not great this week end, and I have a 12ft tinny, and normally fish just off Rangitoto.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 3:41pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

FISH: Kingfish
WEIGHT: 18.5 KG (40lb)
ANGLER: Scott Fergusson
SOFTBAIT: GULP 7' Nuc Chook
RIG: 15lb Fireline, 6-10kg Berkley Dropshot Rod, 20lb trace!
BOAT: Epic Adventures
DEPTH: 8m - big area of shallow reef! eventually...30m on the sand

An epic battle of 1 1/2hours on a fiesty king. In reality we could have gone a bit harder on him, but not sure how much grunt to put on the fish, fishing the rig for 2nd time. Not a scratch on the 20lb VANISH trace even though he had been through kelp and rocks and not lip hooked.

Well done to Scott. Pic at www.epicadventures.co.nz and a few more in next Fishing Coast to Coast mag.

Loooovin the softbaits! Kings weren't touching livies that day, but the softbait seemed to have turned this one on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 10:37pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a big one but happy with it anyway. Pulled a sicky cause the weather was too good, and in Wellington we have to seize the day. Got a new set up and had to give it a go

Fish: Snapper     

Date: 30 April 07

Angler: Slab

Crew: Just me (its only a kayak damit)

Boat: Yellow Peril

Rig; Daiwa Coastal Tournament 10-20lb,  Shimno Baitrunner Aero (cool reel from an Ozzy website), 6kg fireline and a Berkly shad

Depth: 30m

Weight: 3kg maybe a tad more

Fight time: Under 10 minutes

New set up (awesome performance, quite heavy for a spinning set up tho) so had to give it a go....first time using the new generation SP baits and a good result for Wellington, we dont have hoards of Snaps down here.......never expected much in the middle of the day without berley letalone bait!!

By the way, the paua didn't take the SP
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 10:15pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

wiiiicked slab, nice snap (mmm paua!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 7:59pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DATE: 29th April 2007

ANGLER: Kezza

RIG: Shimano Twinpower 4000, Shimano T-Curve Bluewater, 15lb Rapala Titanium, VMC worm Hook, 7" Fin-S - Midnight Shinner

Depth: 40ms

Species: Conger Eel

Weight: 10kg+

(GPS co-ords for sale...please direct inquiries to either  AC or Boulder or Evil or Billy or or or)

Fight time: 4min aprox

Boat: Los Toro

Crew: Evil + Nillfish

No pixs

Was a first for me on Softbaits and when it first jumped on the weight and initial head shakes had me thinking it was a "beauty"....but no!

It would have been about the size of the one pictured below I guess:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:49am
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Billfishes favourite things
that selling of sh*t's getting tired bro??
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 8:34am
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did ya keep it Kezza - great smoked? (remember my smoker is always available). I did one in the smoker last year about that size that I caught in the manukau.

Tasted like crayfish smoked!!! Beautiful white meat and at that size bones aren't too muck of a problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grz Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 6:26pm
Grz Lee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have tried to get my pic in here without success, and this will be my final atempt.

1st time out with "Soft Baits"...

Skipper - Me Grz Lee (Douglas)
Boat - 12 ft Tiny
Where - Just of Rangitoto (Launched at Takapuna)
How - Drifting, high tide, Starlo Stix Snapper Squidgy Graphite Rod (Shimano), Shimano symetre 4000FI, 5/8 Nitro jig head and a nuclear "5" Chicken as my chosen plastic.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 8:53pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Grz,

Good to see you have come over to the Soft Side, even if ya pic didn't make it we are glad to have another convert. You have a great setup there, and don't panic if you break the end of the Starlo Stix, we actually pimp them up by taking the top 35-50mm off the tip, still get the great action in the rod, but gives it a better feel on the strike. Don't slam it in the car door to try this out though wait for the unthinkable to happen first.

Go Soft and Go Hard
GG
Page  <1 45678 42>