Aiptek digital camera - opinions ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joseph Lau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aiptek digital camera - opinions ?
    Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 12:46pm
Joseph Lau View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got news that the Aiptek digital camera ($199.95) which sold out a week ago at Harvey Normans would be restocked again tomorrow morning pending the arrival of a new shipment.

Specs : 2.1 MegaPixel enhanced (1.3 MP Optical), up to 1280x1024 CMOS sensor, auto flash, auto exposure, auto white balance, 16 MB smartmedia card, USB interface. Can also be used as a web cam at up to 10 frames per second. Incl Ulead video studio software.

Any one have a first hand experience of this taking photos of fish ? A better question might be : would this be a suitable camera ? I am totally new to digital photo taking so have no idea whether this is suitable but it is a lot cheaper than other branded digital cameras on the market. Any feedback would be muchly appreciated.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 2:05pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Joseph,

Ive got a little kodak 3200 camera, It' s got 1.3 megapix (don't belive that 2.1 megapix rubbish software can only do so much). I got a 32 mb flash card and a good set of rechargable batteries. The camera was one of the best little investments i made, I take it evey where dirt biking / fishing birthdays all over the place. It's not so expensive that i'm afraid to take it any where. With the 32 mb flash card I can Take pictures untill the batteries run out (about 60 fotos). As for taking photos of fish it's really good. The little camera you decribed sounds like a exellent buy. you won't look back do it.

steve

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 6:01pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I disagree,

It may be true that software can only do so much, but at the end of the day if you want to have your pictures printed out or sent to an image lab to be put on film, you will realise the need for hiher resolution.

My camera is a 1.3 megapixel model and Im kicking myself now that any images I want turned into proper photo size photos will be considerably lower quality than a normal camera, however ounce you get up to 2.1 mega pixel's your ok for normal size shots but dont try and blow them up.

With the new camera's 3 megapixels and above you can get prints as big as a4 size and they are still reasonably sharp.

Dont get me wrong 1.3 is enough for emailing pic's and webpages but if you want good hard copy of those pic's, spend the xtra money.

Cheers

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joseph Lau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 2:24pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys for your valuable input. I am saving up for the Kodak DX3500 (2 MPix) and would keep an eye out for the price ($630 cheapest I can find now). Do not imagine it would be coming down anytime soon. My better looking half wants it on photographic paper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sashimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2002 at 1:42am
Sashimi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

to be honest, if you really want to purchase a digital camera, you wouldn't really want to go anything lower than 2.7 m-pixel.
Sashimi...Tight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joseph Lau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 10:21am
Silver
Silver

Sashimi, you have just upped the specs again !! Now where did I buried that biscuit tin in the backyard with all the pocket money hidden away from the missus for just such an item ???